Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018 NFL Season Thread

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/11/robert-quinn-miami-dolphins-raised-fist-national-anthem

Robert Quinn, the Raised Fist and the Man Behind It

For Robert Quinn, a humble, quiet NFL veteran who’s been raising his fist since September 2016, the gesture is meant to empower and provoke, and also unite. Its roots trace back to his Carolina upbringing, and for centuries before that. ‘I want people to understand,’ he says—but also, ‘I won’t stop until they get rid of me.’

http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-20180812-story.html

Chargers' Okung explains symbol of protest during national anthem

By Dan Woike

In the corner of the Chargers locker room at the University of Phoenix Stadium, Chargers left tackle Russell Okung tried to explain why he did what he did.

During the playing of the national anthem Saturday in the team’s first preseason game, Okung raised his fist in the air, a symbol of protest and solidarity. It’s something he’s been doing since last season.

And pressure from the president of the United States and an unclear policy from the NFL won’t stop him from speaking out against societal ills.

“I think it’s pretty simple. I think the way laws are set up, whether we’re looking at the civil rights amendment, people have abilities and (power) in which how they can handle people and handle people from certain backgrounds,” Okung said calmly. “I think police brutality is a really difficult issue in this country and disproportionate to people of color – black people specifically. I think it’s important to further that conversation and really look forward to ways of change.”

During the first week of the NFL’s preseason, player protests again made news, with athletes in Miami kneeling during the anthem, with players in Denver staying in the tunnel during the playing of the song and with others, like Okung, raising their fist in the air.

President Donald Trump, like he did during the protests last season when he advocated for the firing of any players who protest during the anthem, responded to the wave of protests on Friday by calling for players to be suspended without pay if they kneel during the anthem.

Okung, who had been involved in discussions with the NFL about social injustices a year ago, said reactions from Trump embolden players and force them to stick to their original convictions.

“One, we’re not protesting the president of the United States,” Okung said. “I think it’s unfortunate that the president , I guess, does not respect advanced American citizenship, in terms of what our country actually looks like – the reflection of that. Our country is a place where there has always been creative conflict in order for us to move forward. I think what we’re doing now is healthy.

“It’s no direct reflection of disrespect for the military. I think all the guys who have protested are definitely for the military. It’s been unfortunate to see the president has worked to gain political points by putting players down.”

The NFL’s owners attempted to implement a policy that allowed for players to stay in the locker room if they didn’t want to stand for the anthem. If a player didn’t stand while on the sidelines, his team would be fined by the NFL and the player would be open to further discipline decided upon by the franchise.

The policy was put on hold after criticism, and currently, the NFL and the NFL Players Association are trying to find a solution that works for both sides.

Still, Okung views the protests as a success – at least when it comes to opening eyes to issues of social injustice and inequality that might have gone unnoticed before.

“I think there have been a lot of conversations. People are really aware of things that people … people maybe never saw this as an issue before,” he said. “It’s just so unfortunate that people try to shift the narrative for their own interests and create propaganda around these issues.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ts-intentions-are-to-likely-stand-for-anthem/

Matthew Slater says Patriots intentions are to likely stand for anthem

While the NFL and NFL Players’ Association continue to discuss a resolution for the protocol for the national anthem, it’s up to individual teams and their players to determine whether they intend to continue holding protests against police brutality and social injustice during the anthem before games.

Some players have remained in the locker room for the anthem this preseason, some have remained on the field with a raised fist, and others have continued to take a knee as Colin Kaepernick first started two years ago. Similarly, some teams have not had any players decide to stage protests during the national anthem.

Special teams ace Matthew Slater of the New England Patriots said his team will not likely be one to make such public demonstrations during the anthem.

As you saw during the preseason, the first preseason game, we all stood,” Slater said on WEEI. “I think as a team we feel that is the best thing for us to do and I think you can look for more of that moving forward.”

Despite instituting a new anthem policy earlier this year, the NFL has halted any enforcement of the policy while discussions with the NFLPA continue hoping to seek a joint resolution to the issue. Slater hopes such a resolution can be found where “everyone feels respected, everyone feels heard and we’re doing the right thing for everyone.”

“My focus now is on trying to build relationships in the community, do what I can to bridge the gap where there is a gap and use my platform in a positive way,” Slater said. “That is what I have always tried to do here throughout the course of my career and that is what I am going to continue to do. We’ll let the big wigs figure out the rest.”

Back