Welcome To aBlackWeb

20-Year-Olds Are Making Six Figures In West Texas & There Still Aren’t Enough Workers

313 Wayz

Not sure what forum this belongs in but feel free to move it to the appropriate forum......also, has anybody worked in the oilfields? Did you work 14 days on and 1 week off? Some of those workers are on that meth, coke, speed, etc due to the long 12 hour shifts and disposable income

https://oilfieldjobshop.com/news/20...-there-still-arent-enough-workers/?=ojsaff001

20-Year-Olds Are Making Six Figures In West Texas & There Still Aren’t Enough Workers

In 2018, the Permian Basin just may be be the most active oilfield in the world.

While it may be 100 years old, it’s output has overtaken Iran’s. It’s helped push the US to record production levels.

Accordingly, The Permian attracts thousands of workers from every part of the country where entry level jobs regularity pay over $100,000/yr.

They all want a piece of what people in Midland TX refer to as a “modern-day gold rush”.

“All the major oil companies and exploration companies are moving out here. They’re selling their assets everywhere else,” Josh Garcia told Vice, who’s the Operations Manager for a company that supplies chemicals to drilling. He’s been in the Oil Business for years and looks the part.

“At this point, it’s just a matter of numbers. Companies need to fill those spots, and they’ll train you. You can rewrite your story out here if you want to,” said Garcia.

The Vice article goes on to talk about an individual named Mike “Snowflake” Smith. Back in Austin, he was a high-school dropout.

However, in the booming Texas oilfield, he’s a welder-in-training working 14-hour days in 110-degree weather – for a very healthy paycheck.

He also has the prerequisite ‘toys’ to prove it: a new truck, apple watch, almost-new RV, ostrich-leather work boots and expensive tattoos. Snowflake’s so in demand, he can pick and choose between jobs.

And Snowflake is not alone.

By many estimates (including a flurry of employer activity we see on Oilfield job Shop), Midland and surrounding areas of West Texas currently have 20,000 unfilled positions, and the town will need 40,000 more homes for the influx of people.

In the meantime, thousands of oilfield workers sleep and eat in “man camps” — rows of converted containers or trailers that extend over as much as 40 acres of rocky land that’s no good for either drilling or grazing.

While all is well for the foreseeable future, some are leery – and rightfully so.

For now, Texans who’ve seen a century of booms and their fair share of busts, the good times definitely appear back.

ref: https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/...-texas-oilfield-boom/5b74bab7be407727e677a4c3

Reactions: 1/2
shit comes and goes constantly

not a bad idea if you're young and know how to manage money

real iffy for those with families who need stability (salary and benefits) and flexible schedules

oh i thought you were talking about college athletes....

';;lll

Not sure what forum this belongs in but feel free to move it to the appropriate forum......also, has anybody worked in the oilfields? Did you work 14 days on and 1 week off? Some of those workers are on that meth, coke, speed, etc due to the long 12 hour shifts and disposable income

https://oilfieldjobshop.com/news/20...-there-still-arent-enough-workers/?=ojsaff001

In 2018, the Permian Basin just may be be the most active oilfield in the world.

While it may be 100 years old, it’s output has overtaken Iran’s. It’s helped push the US to record production levels.

Accordingly, The Permian attracts thousands of workers from every part of the country where entry level jobs regularity pay over $100,000/yr.

They all want a piece of what people in Midland TX refer to as a “modern-day gold rush”.

“All the major oil companies and exploration companies are moving out here. They’re selling their assets everywhere else,” Josh Garcia told Vice, who’s the Operations Manager for a company that supplies chemicals to drilling. He’s been in the Oil Business for years and looks the part.

“At this point, it’s just a matter of numbers. Companies need to fill those spots, and they’ll train you. You can rewrite your story out here if you want to,” said Garcia.

The Vice article goes on to talk about an individual named Mike “Snowflake” Smith. Back in Austin, he was a high-school dropout.

However, in the booming Texas oilfield, he’s a welder-in-training working 14-hour days in 110-degree weather – for a very healthy paycheck.

He also has the prerequisite ‘toys’ to prove it: a new truck, apple watch, almost-new RV, ostrich-leather work boots and expensive tattoos. Snowflake’s so in demand, he can pick and choose between jobs.

And Snowflake is not alone.

By many estimates (including a flurry of employer activity we see on Oilfield job Shop), Midland and surrounding areas of West Texas currently have 20,000 unfilled positions, and the town will need 40,000 more homes for the influx of people.

In the meantime, thousands of oilfield workers sleep and eat in “man camps” — rows of converted containers or trailers that extend over as much as 40 acres of rocky land that’s no good for either drilling or grazing.

While all is well for the foreseeable future, some are leery – and rightfully so.

For now, Texans who’ve seen a century of booms and their fair share of busts, the good times definitely appear back.

ref: https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/...-texas-oilfield-boom/5b74bab7be407727e677a4c3

working 14-hour days in 110-degree weather

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Click bait title for this article for sure. This is like when companies say they cant fill their great paying positions so they have no choice but to bring in immigrant workers.

Reactions: 1/2
Click bait title for this article for sure. This is like when companies say they cant fill their great paying positions so they have no choice but to bring in immigrant workers.

Those kinds of jobs don't pay six figures. This is probably legit, but it's likely demanding work with specific qualifications that not just anyone can come in and do. There likely isn't much in the area either, so it's probably a boring ass place to live.

Those kinds of jobs don't pay six figures. This is probably legit, but it's likely demanding work with specific qualifications that not just anyone can come in and do. There likely isn't much in the area either, so it's probably a boring ass place to live.
Thats what i ment. They lead you in with people making 6 figures in their 20s, but wont tell you its a very select few till ur already there and gotta settle for a grunt work job to get the money you spent to get there back.

So, I can tell you first hand they're lying. I worked in the oilfield and your not getting six figures at no damn 20

This is true but it’s a very cyclical industry, people this age range can also make bank in the welding industry

Last edited:
Midland, TX??? My family has a plot of land out there we've been leasing out to an oil company. Moms, my aunt, and uncle are splitting the money from that.

Sheeit. I better be making well over 100k working 14 hour days.

Anything less and youre being taken advantage of financially. Very few jobs are worth being there that amount of time.

The average certified structural welder can get $17 - $28+/hr. Pipe Welders can start off making a hourly wage that may cap in the $30 or $40+/hr range. Underwater welding starts off at $75/hr last I checked, but they don't allow you to do it for more than 10 years. The more weld test you pass the more money you're suppose to make.

Other trades offer their own high pay as well like Fitting, Pipe Fitting, Heavy Crane Operating, and etc. That's with working with the big fish of the industry. Smaller fab shops and such... pay is more influenced by inner shop politics I'll say. One of them "discussing pay rates can lead to termination" type of deals.

Overtime is usually 1.5 times that after 40 hours worked in the week. This type of work rarely only does 40, but it happens. Especially with smaller jobs. Some jobs also offer pay-per-diem where they pay you a stipend every day for hours worked. This can be anywhere from $60 to $100 a day just for showing up PLUS your regular check. This article bout Texas isn't even the highest I've heard. A 100k is possible stateside, but the big money is in overseas contract work I've been told.

The reason they can't keep people is cause of the conditions. We all end up wanting a gig with set hours, air conditioning, stability, and a chance to sleep in our own houses every night. And truthfully, not everyone is a burn and ball success story.

Last edited:
The average certified structural welder can get $17 - $28+/hr. Pipe Welders can start off making a hourly wage that may cap in the $30 or $40+/hr range. Underwater welding starts off at $75/hr last I checked, but they don't allow you to do it for more than 10 years. The more weld test you pass the more money you're suppose to make.

Other trades offer their own high pay as well like Fitting, Pipe Fitting, Heavy Crane Operating, and etc. That's with working with the big fish of the industry. Smaller fab shops and such... pay is more influenced by inner shop politics I'll say. One of them "discussing pay rates can lead to termination" type of deals.

Overtime is usually 1.5 times that after 40 hours worked in the week. This type of work rarely only does 40, but it happens. Especially with smaller jobs. Some jobs also offer pay-per-diem where they pay you a stipend every day for hours worked. This can be anywhere from $60 to $100 a day just for showing up PLUS your regular check. This article bout Texas isn't even the highest I've heard. A 100k is possible stateside, but the big money is in overseas contract work I've been told.

The reason they can't keep people is cause of the conditions. We all end up wanting a gig with set hours, air conditioning, stability, and a chance to sleep in our own houses every night. And truthfully, not everyone is a burn and ball success story.

This is true, but if you're relatively young and don't mind burning ~5 years, you could take on something like this, live frugally, make some good investments, and retire early for sure.

Just imagine if you got into that area early, made a little money, and invested it into the real estate of the area. You'd come off clean as fuck.

This is true, but if you're relatively young and don't mind burning ~5 years, you could take on something like this, live frugally, make some good investments, and retire early for sure.

Just imagine if you got into that area early, made a little money, and invested it into the real estate of the area. You'd come off clean as fuck.

and there's the thing

the people who will do oilfield work dont typically have that mindset

they most likely dont come from money and have no idea how to manage it coming in that fast

they'll be the man for those 5 years and then the shit levels out and they still got all this nice shit to keep paying for, done had a few kids and shit lol

its a wrap

That's always been the blueprint. Too many want everything right out of college, and don't understand that the 20's and 30's are a grind. If you're not putting in work when you're young and building a foundation, then you're gonna be out of luck by 35.

Back