Welcome To aBlackWeb

“Be Creative—Learn The Craft”: Revisiting Dr. Dre’s '99 Criticism of Diddy "Don't just throw something out there over somebody else's beat. Some of us

Neither one was really creating original music,the both of them were sampling old songs from the past.

Didn't the east/ west beef start around 94/95ish ???
How many joints did puff repurpose ???
Juicy
Mo money
Big poppa
One more chance remix
I know I'm missing several but my 2nd question is does puff have more organic hits than repurposed joints

I don't even know man. Puff started this formula way back at Uptown with Mary & Jodeci. Throwin soul singers on hip hop beats.

This became "Come And Talk To Me (Remix)"

This became "Real Love"

Later on at Bad Boy, throwin hard-core emcees like Biggie over R&B tracks like "Juicy Fruit" and "Between The Sheets".

But there wasn't any real artistry to his formula. No sample chops or loops. Not the way that Havoc, Preemo, or classic Kanye would flip beats and create something new and unique.

Puff would just take already established older hits, jack the beat, slap some bars and hooks over it and was winning like a mf. And I ate it up alongside the rest of the world when I was 12.

But looking back now as a grown ass man, I can see the frustration the other producers and musicians had.

It's major difference between looping and flipping the break beats from old disco records, versus just taking the whole disco record and having someone rhyme over it.

Back