Welcome To aBlackWeb

“Be Creative—Learn The Craft”: Revisiting Dr. Dre’s '99 Criticism of Diddy "Don't just throw something out there over somebody else's beat. Some of us

keemz

#gaza4eva #freeKartel #FreeSiva
"I respect Puffy as a businessman. I can't front on that. But as a musician, he's really hurt the art form."
If you Google "Dr. Dre and Diddy," nearly every search result is about their wealth. Evidently, a lot of people are interested in becoming hip-hop billionaires. Who knew?

One story you likely won't find, however, is a 1999 Newsweek feature, entitled "The Doctor's In The House," about Dr. Dre's sophomore album, 2001, which was published with quotes from the DJ-turned-producer-turned-mogul the week after its release.

In the second to last paragraph of the piece, Los Angeles-based writer Allison Samuels labels Dre as a "perfectionist with the million-dollar ear," a "politically aware entrepreneur" and "controversialist," the latter of which is attached to a set of critical quotes the Compton native provided about his fellow industry magnet.

"Listening to the stuff on the radio today, you'd think rap is one big sample. That's an insult to all of us who've been here from the beginning," said Dre. "I respect Puffy as a businessman. I can't front on that. But as a musician, he's really hurt the art form. Be creative--learn the craft. Don't just throw something out there over somebody else's beat. Some of us work hard to make the art form something people can respect."

While it's impossible to ignore the fact that these comments were delivered in the aftermath—pun intended—of the East Coast vs. West Coast hip-hop rivalry, a feud that lasted from 1991 through 1997 and claimed the lives of respective friends and collaborators Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G., let's keep the focus strictly on the music.

Essentially, Dre was saying that, unlike Puff, he uses samples as instruments for a larger, more original effort, while Puffy's approach, which worked wonders for almost a decade, was more akin to jacking sounds that used to be popular and simply capitalizing off the nostalgia.

"The Next Episode," which samples David McCallum's '67 single "The Edge," and "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang," which samples Leon Haywood's '75 hit "I Want'a Do Something Freaky to You," are just two of a countless number of examples where Dre was able to deftly weave a sample into his production, as opposed to Diddy, who rapped alongside Biggie and Mase on "Mo Money Mo Problems" which sampled Diana Ross' "I'm Coming Out" and was a carbon-copy version of the original, minus a few minor Stevie J tweaks.

From his earliest work producing N.W.A's classic debut, Straight Outta Compton, to his two acclaimed solo albums, to his credits on the very best works ever produced by hip-hop legends 50 Cent, Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Tupac, Dr. Dre has been at the forefront of hip-hop production. In fact, his musical DNA (shout out Kendrick) has been embedded in the genre and the culture for nearly three full decades.

While some of his comments do hold merit, to say that Puffy needed to be more creative and "learn the craft" was an absolute cheap shot. Unlike Dre, who made the bulk of his money in music in the '90s and early '00s—long before headphone sales skyrocketed and he was able to sell his stake in Beats to Apple for a billion dollars—Diddy has always been a businessman. He might have his fingerprints all over liner notes and music videos, but his true skill set was and always has been as a visionary—not a behind-the-boards beatmaker.

No, Diddy wasn't making the same type of hip-hop records that Dre was producing across the country, but that doesn't mean it was a bad look for hip-hop. It was just different. And Dre, a rightful prisoner of the moment, was at best safeguarding the art form that gave him a career and at worst trying to stem the tide before a hundred Diddy clones started replicating his sampling practices.

18 years later, though, neither of them—or hip-hop—is worse for wear.

a versuz between him and diddy would just be a celebration of music - doesnt sound like he thinks they're in the same class

IF dre believes the samething tilli this day

🤔 so he didn't do that with Nuthin But A G Thang? Hip Hop been sampling from the beginning. Artist critiquing artist about how they are hurting the industry will always sound like hate.

Sounds like DJ Khaled approach to albums nowadays

Only gave his recent album 1 spin but i remember it being full of lazy samples

d68f04759a456c746c0f5d079c00fd95e82e6d30

Sounds like DJ Khaled approach to albums nowadays

Only gave his recent album 1 spin but i remember it being full of lazy samples

d68f04759a456c746c0f5d079c00fd95e82e6d30
i always felt this album cover was disrespectful

I didn't know Dre actually said that, but I felt the same way. People was basically acting like Puff was some kinda genius in the game because of all the hits. To me, that was a silly take. I mean they were basically taking the beats from songs that were already hits, so there is no reason to think they wouldn't be hits again.

🤔 so he didn't do that with Nuthin But A G Thang? Hip Hop been sampling from the beginning. Artist critiquing artist about how they are hurting the industry will always sound like hate.
yeah,but Dre would get real bands to replay shit and added drums and snatched lesser known sections and songs.

Puff went down all the number 1's from 1970 and on and just sampled them with little changes

Primo samples too,but you'll be hard pressed to find where he got it and if you did he would change so much it would be like something else.

Last edited:
yeah,but Dre would get real bands to replay shit and added drums and snatched lesser known sections and songs.

Puff went down all the number 1's from 1970 and on just sampled them with little changes

Primo samples too,but you'll be hard pressed to find where he got it and if you did he would change so much it would be like something else.
I get it. But still, he samples just like everyone else. He's being a hypocrite.

Express Yourself came out in the late 80s.

"I started this sampling shit, and this the motherfuckin thanks I get?"
From what I recall,the group didn't like that song.

Even with that sample,they added drums,breaks,and switch ups.

but that song was made to make a video for and get radio play.

He didn't say he didn't sample,but that he used the sample as an instrument and differently

plus Dre didn't even sample sometimes and had the ppl like George Clinton in there really playing it.
Is that really a difference?

"I didn't sample, I just had the artist I wanted to sample play it for me live"

Regardless of how he wants to say his way of sampling is different, it's still sampling in the end.

I get it. But still, he samples just like everyone else. He's being a hypocrite.

His criticism wasn't that Puff used samples. It was that Puff would basically put songs out there that just took the music from another song and had rappers over it. What Dre is saying is that he put effort into trying to get some respect for the musicality of Hip Hop production, and songs like the ones Puff pushed hurt that effort. He's not wrong. When ever you used to hear arguments made that Hip Hop stolen music or not music, they were usually followed up with a list of Bad Boy songs as examples.

Didn't the east/ west beef start around 94/95ish ???
How many joints did puff repurpose ???
Juicy
Mo money
Big poppa
One more chance remix
I know I'm missing several but my 2nd question is does puff have more organic hits than repurposed joints

Back