Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Women's clothing making other women "uncomfortable"

its wack to me

i was like "what grown person is over there unable to do their work because of this girls shirt?"

I aint no woman tho, thought they could help me understand

its wack to me

i was like "what grown person is over there unable to do their work because of this girls shirt?"

thoughts?

I was gonna drop it. Lol. But you asked...

Shit doesn't really matter if it's wack to you, honestly. If someone mentions they are uncomfortable by the way a person dresses, then they're uncomfortable.

And no one said they were unable to work. They said they were uncomfortable.

I think it's weird that you need someone else to agree or co-sign before you take someone else's thoughts or feelings on the matter as valid.

I gotta take my kid to school. be back and shit. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1/2
nah i figured you wanted to point out where i was wrong, i kinda expected it

i respect your opinion on the matter and gotta leave it at that

none of this really affected anything real in my life....shit could have super flopped and I would have moved on

her feelings didnt have to be valid to me or not

nor did i have to understand.....but im a member of a message board where we talk about shit

it aint my worst thread by far lol

nah i figured you wanted to point out where i was wrong, i kinda expected it

i respect your opinion on the matter and gotta leave it at that

none of this really affected anything real in my life....shit could have super flopped and I would have moved on

her feelings didnt have to be valid to me or not

nor did i have to understand.....but im a member of a message board where we talk about shit

it aint my worst thread by far lol

Na, that's not what I mean. I get this being a forum where we discuss shit. We ain't gotta AGREE on the shit, you know. I'm just going based on your words. So I guess here is my direct question:

You said you made the thread hoping that someone could help you understand it so that you could give the other side some merit. Why do you need to understand it in order to give it merit? Why isn't the simple fact that someone blatantly said they were made to feel uncomfortable enough to give it merit?

That's what I'm trying to get an answer to.

Doesn't mean you have to agree or understand.

i didnt want to give it merit and didnt need to understand...just wanted to rap about it

any example i use would be too far off from the subject but most of my threads are questions....help me understand blank

i get informed or get roasted

but yeah....i dont think it'll all be understood here....we've gone far beyond the thought that was put into this

shit happened 5 minutes before I posted it

Yup smh.....

Yesterday it was her sleeves....before it was yoga/stretch pants.....but this is the thing....other much less attractive women wear leggings that are all loose in the bottom and nobody says shit

Hell, the HR lady herself be in short ass skirts

But ain't nobody stopping for a double take you feel me? Lol
I'm not a woman, but to me, sounds like some made up outrage. You said shes low, status wise in the company, yet she gets a lot attention. That alone is enough to get someone whos ranked higher to feel some type of way.
She could of walked by once, people gawked or made comments and some other woman gets mad and stomps to HR to cause trouble for her.

I think women should be able to dress however they want. I hate the amount of assimilation it requires in order to be accepted or taken seriously in the workplace. Like, everyone should just be themselves so we can see who you truly are.

Black women are usually built a lil thicker than other women so it always feel racist to me when someone says we're dressed inappropriately. Cause it's typically a comment on the body type and how it looks in the garment than the outfit itself.

I see other women get away with short skirts, off the shoulder tops, tanks, flip flops,etc... Meanwhile I can barely wear a v neck without feeling like I need to cover up.

I keep a shawl in the office anyways cause it's always cold...
I feel you, I have been around women that have seen young black girls in the summer walking around in lady tank tops and boy shorts. I've heard these women comment on how "stank" these girls look.

And I would comment that, if those were white teen girls that usually have boy bodies at that age. They wouldn't have thought twice about them. Those girls literally just had on what you expect a girl to have on in the middle of the summer.

They cant help that they have curves, shit, they might even be fully aware of their curves like that. I hate that cause my daughters have the same genes as my sisters. Even with how small they are, their bodies are "developed" more than my liking.

They want to run around the house in their underwear, and even at their age I have to tell them to cover up. I feel horrible about that cause I might be playing into that thinking.

I feel you, I have been around women that have seen young black girls in the summer walking around in lady tank tops and boy shorts. I've heard these women comment on how "stank" these girls look.

And I would comment that, if those were white teen girls that usually have boy bodies at that age. They wouldn't have thought twice about them. Those girls literally just had on what you expect a girl to have on in the middle of the summer.

They cant help that they have curves, shit, they might even be fully aware of their curves like that. I hate that cause my daughters have the same genes as my sisters. Even with how small they are, their bodies are "developed" more than my liking.

They want to run around the house in their underwear, and even at their age I have to tell them to cover up. I feel horrible about that cause I might be playing into that thinking.

This is the scariest shit as a parent: Having to balance teaching your kids certain things but doing it in a way that doesn't give them a complex or feed into bullshit societal rules. It's terrifying when you realize how razor thin the margin is between raising an upstanding citizen and a fucked up ass adult who might be an axe murderer.

I personally don't care about what somebody wears to work. The person who complains about stupid shit like that usually looks like they just rolled out of bed in the morning.

its wack to me

This is some petty shyt, but it seems like there's more to it.

As for the topic...I mean you just can't show up in ANY ole thing. This goes for both men and women. Especially in a professional environment. At my old job, this lady kept wearing these thin, skin tight, thigh high skirts to work.

And when I said skin tight, the skirt conformed to the shape of her body. E'go...it enhanced EVERY cellulite and ALL the folds on her body. Apparently it got to HR b/c it violated the dress code policy. All in all...it was more about it being unprofessional, rather than uncomfortable.

• Goat
Reactions: 1/2
and thats what got me....she didnt come by and say hey this is against policy....she said this is making someone uncomfortable lol

shit just didnt sit right but whatever

I don't think so and I never feel uncomfortable rather than feel uncomfortable I admired them and wanted to upgrade my fashion sense. Its too weird to feel uncomfortable you should admired what other wearing. I remember I was at my friend's birthday party I was wearing very simple and elegant dress with my favourite dancing bees necklace i saw other women their who's dressed up very nicely and i gave them compliment. Its weird to go HR and asked what others women have or wearing something like that.

I don't think so and I never feel uncomfortable rather than feel uncomfortable I admired them and wanted to upgrade my fashion sense. Its too weird to feel uncomfortable you should admired what other wearing. I remember I was at my friend's birthday party I was wearing very simple and elegant dress with my favourite dancing bees necklace i saw other women their who's dressed up very nicely and i gave them compliment. Its weird to go HR and asked what others women have or wearing something like that.

@AP21 looks like you got vermin up in the spot homie.

Imo, from what you have described, its covert workplace bullying. Hard to detect, hard to stamp out of its older employees bullying newer ones.

Back