Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION The Wire - A Hindsight Discussion

Nah, I said I know it wasn't the season finale.

You said it might've been.

Also, I narrowed it down to near the end of the season.

You didn't estimate when the episode occurred.

Similar, but not the same.
DE, i said it was either one of the scenes when Scott went to one of those shelters OR the season finale montage

you just totally disregarded the first part of my post

No matter how many times I watch the series, it's always something new that catches my attention.

Last time I watched it, I noticed Donette (D'Angelo's babymama) and her son eating at a homeless shelter in Season 5.

Shit bugged me out because I was surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

What episode? I didn't catch that.

Avon wasnt in imminent danger with Brother and I didn’t take that as a confirmation they were going to kidnap him

It was a reference to what they did to Brandon, his lover

In the end, they both sold each other out. I swear at this moment for the first time, I actually lean more towards Avon perspective up until

But putting those two on a collision course was sloppy. That half measure shit(breaking bad). Avon might’ve been pissed but you knew it was working. Let him be pissed. But Stringer was trying to maneuver that transition phase of being Honcho. Too many maneuvers, one caught up

Avon wasnt in imminent danger with Brother and I didn’t take that as a confirmation they were going to kidnap him

It was a reference to what they did to Brandon, his lover

In the end, they both sold each other out. I swear at this moment for the first time, I actually lean more towards Avon perspective up until

But putting those two on a collision course was sloppy. That half measure shit(breaking bad). Avon might’ve been pissed but you knew it was working. Let him be pissed. But Stringer was trying to maneuver that transition phase of being Honcho. Too many maneuvers, one caught up

Omar told Stringer Bell they were going torture Avon. You can't torture without kidnapping first. Go back to the clip I posted of Stringer's death. He flat out says it. It also could have been a reference as well to Brandon, but TRUST they were going to get the info from Avon one way or another.

Loved your take on it.

Stringer was trying to transition out of the game. They were almost there, but they destroyed each other and too many variables were in play. The police actually got Stringer on tape, so he was going down even before getting killed, and Avon would have gone to jail because Stringer already snitched.

Last edited:
Here's the thing that some people missed. The set up Avon put on Stringer wasn't out of revenge for D'Angelo, but his rep. (Of course D'Angelo getting killed probably made his decision a little easier.) Remember Brother Mouzone told Avon that the reason he's giving him a chance to give up Stringer was because of his word and reputation. He implied that if he didn't act as the stand up gangster, he was going to go back to New York and tell EVERYONE that he was not honorable. That would mean that NO ONE would deal with him in the future, and it's a possible "green light" on The Barksdales. Even though at that point Avon, and Stringer were getting the best product from Prop Joe & The Co-op (courtesy of Spiros and The Greek) there is no telling how bad it would have got for The Barkdales, and that is IF Avon would have gotten out of being kidnapped and tortured by Omar and Brother Mouzone first. (Omar confirms that was the plan to Stringer Bell before he was killed if Avon refused to give up Stringer.) Here are the recaps:

Avon and Brother

Great breakdown......this and other subplots shows how dope the writing and character development was

David Simon in an interview said one of the themes of the show is the underlying effect of reputation or what ppl think of u

Omar told Stringer Bell they were going torture Avon. You can't torture without kidnapping first.

Nah, you got that part wrong.

When Omar said......."we didn't have to torture his ass either"......he was implying that they didn't have to do Avon the way the Barksdale crew did his boy Brandon.

nh

Basically letting Stringer know that Avon was cool with them killing him (Stringer)....and also letting Stringer know that that they didn't have to resort to the same kinds of methods as the Barksdale crew to get what they wanted.

Part of Omar's code I suppose.

There was never a plan to torture Avon.

When Omar said......."we didn't have to torture his ass either"......he was implying that they didn't have to do Avon the way the Barksdale crew did his boy Brandon.

nh

Basically letting Stringer know that Avon was cool with them killing him (Stringer)....and also letting Stringer know that that they didn't have to resort to the same kinds of methods as the Barksdale crew to get what they wanted.

Yeah IDK where he getting they was gonna Kidnap Avon and torture him for info on Stringer.

1. The kidnap/torture shit wasn't Brother Mouzone rolled.

2. Omar ain't have no crew to even execute a plan like that. The one chick got shot in the shoot out at the Barksdale stash house, which made Kimmie quit. And Brother & Lamar took Omar's boy so they could find him.

I looked at that scene yesterday and Omar didn't say torture he said they didn't have to coax Avon to give up Stringer.

nh

I don't disagree with this, but do you really think Mouzone wouldn't have gotten the info out of Avon one way or the other?

Avon was ready to part ways anyway...he was just looking for an opportunity

so i dont think it would've been that difficult at all

I don't think he was looking for a way out. He was still doing business with String even after he admitted that he killed D'Angelo. Not only that, Avon even defended String when his sister Brianna was questioning Avon about her son. I feel that it was ugly business that had to be handled, and he accepted that. Don't forget that D'Angelo didn't want to rock with Avon anymore after he discovered that he could have been killed by an overdose when he was locked up. Remember Avon tried to coax him into not doing drugs without even telling his nephew the REAL reason.

I don't think he was looking for a way out. He was still doing business with String even after he admitted that he killed D'Angelo. Not only that, Avon even defended String when his sister Brianna was questioning Avon about her son. I feel that it was ugly business that had to be handled, and he accepted that. Don't forget that D'Angelo didn't want to rock with Avon anymore after he discovered that he could have been killed by an overdose when he was locked up. Remember Avon tried to coax him into not doing drugs without even telling his nephew the REAL reason.

nah man

Avon had checked out. I think he was willing to look past the D'Angelo murder, but like he kept saying over and over...he not a suit and tie nigga and Stringer was. He was fully engulfed in that street life and it was only going to be a matter of time before he himself probably took matters into his own hands.

nah man

Avon had checked out. I think he was willing to look past the D'Angelo murder, but like he kept saying over and over...he not a suit and tie nigga and Stringer was. He was fully engulfed in that street life and it was only going to be a matter of time before he himself probably took matters into his own hands.

I don't agree, but love your perspective. Remember, after Stringer got killed, Avon at had regrets and said to Slim that he was ready to be on some money shit.

I don't agree, but love your perspective. Remember, after Stringer got killed, Avon at had regrets and said to Slim that he was ready to be on some money shit.

good counter

unless, he was just playing the role b/c thats what he was supposed to feel like

did charles know what the move was? i didnt think so

good counter

unless, he was just playing the role b/c thats what he was supposed to feel like

did charles know what the move was? i didnt think so

Charles didn't care about the move. He's a soldier. One's bodies started dropping, there was no squashing anything. Even if Stringer's death had nothing to do with it. Bodies were dropping before String got murked.

Back