Welcome To aBlackWeb

Sue Bird Says Women’s Basketball Is Less Popular Than Soccer Because They’re Black and Gay

Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) player Sue Bird claimed in an interview that women’s basketball is less popular than women’s soccer because the basketball players are Black and gay, while the soccer players are perceived as “cute little white girls.”

“To be completely blunt, but also kind of simple, soccer players generally are cute little white girls. And I think basketball players, we’re all shapes and sizes,” Bird claimed in the weekend interview. “It’s 70-80 percent Black women, a lot of gay women. We’re tall; we’re big. And I think there’s just maybe this intimidation factor with that.”

“People are quick to talk about it, judge it, put it down. And soccer, you just don’t see that just based on how they look,” she continued, adding, “The problem is how society and how the outside world is willing to accept the cute girl next door, but not willing to accept, or embrace, or not judge these basketball players who are tall, Black, gay.”

Bird mirrored the comments made by her partner and women’s soccer player Megan Rapinoe — who is Bird’s long-term girlfriend.

“When it comes to U.S. women’s soccer, the general perception is that — let’s face it — we’re the white girls next door. The straight, ‘cute,’ ‘unthreatening,’ ‘suburban’ white girls next door,” she continued. “It’s not actually who we are — the WNT’s racial diversity, though not yet where it needs to be, is improving every year. And, you know, breaking news … I’m gay. But by and large, that’s the perception. And it’s certainly how we’re marketed to a lot of people.”

C0B5CE0B-71BC-41BD-9BD2-A7CA4FCB5D55.gif

She does have a point IMO. Most men and women don't want to see women doing some shit that is considered rugged work and on top it not be viewed as cute before it, during it and after it's done.

Women's boxing ain't big because people still don't really want to see women being that type of physical and basketball falls into that as well just not as much as the female boxing or mma.

Does she not realize that the most popular sports in America are mostly black? Sports are like the one thing in America where being black is acceptable.

Not true, women's college ball fill their arenas...

But pro ball Shiz is right

Its like rec ball, not enough action or above the rim ish to keep some katz attention.

Not true, women's college ball fill their arenas...

But pro ball Shiz is right

Its like rec ball, not enough action or above the rim ish to keep some katz attention.

Skill level ain’t better than what I see at the park to be real.

She's either insecure or it's for publicity. No way she doesn't know that...

Sports at the end of the day is meant to display elite human athleticism and to a lesser extent human elements i.e. mental toughness/weakness, leadership, conquering/succumbing adversity etc.

It comes down to the fact that there more glaring reminders of women's inferior athleticism to men, in women's B-ball than women's football (fuck you and your "soccer")

Basketball: Smaller ball, low basket, longer shot-clock, no back-court rule, closer 3pt line, small player size and perhaps the most glaring is the lack of dunks and aerial prowess. B-ball is a game with many points scored but women score less score, 'cause their less proficient.

It looks like a watered-down version of the men's game. That's a turn off for both men & women.

Football: Same pitch & ball size, the difference is in athleticism but there are more goals in comparison to men's so the entertainment value is still there... (i hardly watch either sport though.)

daaaamn

nah but seriously, i always felt like they should lower the goal or let em take steroids

its a sport and a career to them but its all entertainment and the goal is draw viewers

anything outside of making the game more entertaining and we're getting into "exploiting" them, but you gotta factor in how people follow the lives and lifestyles of male players as well.....I think as the women are paid more, we'd start to see them more in the media just living life....we never hear about what they're doing or where they just bought a house, etc...imo thats because they dont have the money lol...all that shit makes people tune in more is my point

They need do a bra n panty league like they did with football

:hehe2:

and the inevitable smh.....id hate to see it but we all know lol.....

its fucked up but I'll admit I saw the whole shit in my head when i read this......and it was dope

all black courts, fluorescent neon lighting, home wears white booty shorts and crop top uni, away goes with the team color mesh, 5'8" and under small ball

:kanyecry2:gawd aint done with me

I always had a crush on Diana Taurasi
*googles..
GettyImages-994311680-1.jpg

?

She's either insecure or it's for publicity. No way she doesn't know that...

Sports at the end of the day is meant to display elite human athleticism and to a lesser extent human elements i.e. mental toughness/weakness, leadership, conquering/succumbing adversity etc.

It comes down to the fact that there more glaring reminders of women's inferior athleticism to men, in women's B-ball than women's football (fuck you and your "soccer")

Basketball: Smaller ball, low basket, longer shot-clock, no back-court rule, closer 3pt line, small player size and perhaps the most glaring is the lack of dunks and aerial prowess. B-ball is a game with many points scored but women score less score, 'cause their less proficient.

It looks like a watered-down version of the men's game. That's a turn off for both men & women.

Football: Same pitch & ball size, the difference is in athleticism but there are more goals in comparison to men's so the entertainment value is still there... (i hardly watch either sport though.)

Women's football is a lot better than women's basketball.

Back