Welcome To aBlackWeb

Racists are in their feelings over Kap’s new Nike ad

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ut-of-kaepernick-t-shirt-just-hours-after-its

Nike sells out of Kaepernick t-shirt just hours after its release

Nike sold out of its new Colin Kaepernick t-shirts just hours after they were released on Thursday.

The black long sleeve t-shirts, which were sold for $50 each, featured a Nike swoosh on each of its sleeves and the former athlete’s name in reflective lettering on the back.

A sleeve also read in small writing: "Believe in something even if it means sacrificing everything."

The release comes a month after the company captured headlines for the announcement of their endorsement deal with the athlete-turned-activist.

Share prices for the company performed at an all-time high last month after the company’s stock initially fell more than 3 percent following the announcement of the deal.

Though the signing of Kaepernick was greeted by many consumers with praise, the move also generated backlash from critics of the protest movement which the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback is at the center of.

Kaepernick was the first athlete to take a knee during the national anthem to protest racial injustice and police brutality.

President Trump, a frequent critic of the anthem protests, spoke out against the ad campaign.

"Just like the NFL, whose ratings have gone WAY DOWN, Nike is getting absolutely killed with anger and boycotts," the president tweeted shortly after the announcement of the deal.

Kaepernick remains a free agent who has not played an NFL game since the end of 2016 after becoming the face of the movement.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_05b2b8ea-dbac-11e8-965a-67fb3ce29571.html

Saints season ticket holder's lawsuit for refund over player protests tossed by appeals court

A state appeals court has thrown out a lawsuit filed by a New Orleans Saints season ticketholder seeking a refund because of player protests against police brutality during playing of the national anthem.

Morgan City businessman Lee Dragna sued for his money back and other damages in December because fans sitting near him during the Saints' game against the New England Patriots in September 2017 booed and cursed Saints players for not coming out of the locker room until after "The Star-Spangled Banner" was over.

The year before, some NFL players had begun kneeling during the anthem to protest police misconduct. As the protest grew and sparked controversy, some players decided to stay inside the locker room while the anthem was being performed.

Dragna’s suit said he never would have bought his tickets had he known that any player would protest during games.

He amended the suit in January to add claims of intentional infliction of emotional distress, failure to warn of potential protests and violation of his right as a member of a captive audience to be protected from unwanted speech.

The Saints asked Judge June Berry Darensburg, of the 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna, to find Dragna had no cause of action, but she ruled that there was cause under the emotional distress, negligence and captive audience claims.

The Saints appealed, and a panel of judges on the state 5th Circuit Court of Appeal ruled Oct. 15 that there was no cause of action on any aspect of the claim.

Judges Robert Chaisson, Hans Liljeberg and John Molaison wrote that in order to have a claim, Dragna would need to show that the team’s conduct was “extreme and outrageous,” that his distress was severe and that the Saints desired to inflict that distress or at least knew that it would be substantial.

The panel found Dragna’s claims “are simply not actionable” and that it could not see how he could amend his suit in a way that could make them so.

Legal analysts had said that the suit faced an uphill battle.

The protests were started by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who sat during the anthem at two preseason games in August 2016.

It wasn’t until he and fellow teammate and Baton Rouge native Eric Reid decided to kneel after speaking to a former player who was a Green Beret that the media took notice. Some other players followed suit, and the protests quickly became a recurring political sore spot nationwide.

The issue flared up a few months before Dragna filed his suit, when President Donald Trump said players who knelt should be fired. The president's statements prompted a backlash of more players kneeling, raising their fists or staying off the field entirely.

Earlier this fall, Nike named Kaepernick, who has not been hired by another team since the controversy began, as the spokesman for the 30th anniversary of its “Just Do It” ad campaign.

In response, Kenner Mayor Ben Zahn instructed that taxpayer dollars not go toward any Nike products at the city’s parks and sports facilities. He reversed course a few days later amid a public outcry.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kenny-stills-20181029-story.html

Dolphins' Kenny Stills releases a documentary explaining why he protests during anthem

Miami Dolphins receiver Kenny Stills released a revealing short documentary that attempts to explain the reasons behind his decision to kneel during the national anthem since 2016.

In the mini documentary, which is titled “Kenny Stills,” he said he was inspired to join Colin Kaepernick’s crusade designed to create awareness for social justice issues in America after finding himself distraught over the 2016 shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, two unarmed men who were fatally shot by police officers in the same month.

“I don’t think people really understand what it’s like to look in the mirror and feel like you’re not important, nobody gives a s---,” said Stills, who has spent the past three seasons as the Dolphins starting flanker. “If you didn’t play football you’re irrelevant, because of your skin tone.

“I didn’t choose this [skin]. I was born [like] this. This is me,” Stills said explaining his experience as a person of color in the documentary. “Did I do something wrong? Or I was just born so I’m wrong?”

Stills was one of four Dolphins players who knelt during the playing of the national anthem in the 2016 season opener, and with the exception of the 2017 season opener, he’s knelt in every regular-season game he’s played in since.

As a result of taking his political stance, Stills admits “I found myself in the center of the storm” and confesses that he’s received death threats from those who view is protest as an unpatriotic act.

but neither player knelt before last Thursday’s loss to the Houston Texans, because both were injured and not playing.

The Dolphins are optimistic that Stills’ groin strain will be healed in a week or two, but coach Adam Gase said the plan is to not rush him back, fearing that he could suffer a setback that would keep him sidelined even longer.

When Stills, who has contributed 16 receptions for 281 yards and scored four touchdown this season, resumes playing, he’ll resume kneeling because he’s “committed to activism for the rest of my life” he says at the end of the documentary.

He still receives hate mail, and the combative discussions that often turn into opportunities to educate on social media are still taking place. The documentary is likely an extension of those efforts.

Here is the Sun Sentinel's report card, evaluating how the Miami Dolphins performed in Thursday night's 42-23 loss to the Houston Texans.

Lately, Stills has been recommending documentaries to those who have questions. He recommends they watch a documentary called “13th” on Netflix, which analyzes the criminalization of African Americans and the U.S. prison boom, and “Crime + Punishment,” a Hulu film in which New York City officers expose corruption in their department.

Stills, who won the Dolphins’ Nat Moore Community Service Award for 2016 and 2017 for his work in the community, feels like the NFL should be doing a better job of educating the fan base about social justice issues.

“The NFL could've done a better job of controlling the narrative from the beginning,” Stills said earlier this season when addressing Nike using Kaepernick as the face of their latest “Just Do It” campaign.

“I think if the NFL did something like Nike did — some sort of campaign, explain this whole situation, have our backs, supporting us and our First Amendment right — then this thing would've gone in a whole different direction.”

https://www.kcra.com/article/kaepernick-inducted-into-his-turlock-high-schools-hall-of-fame/24638966

Kaepernick inducted into his Turlock high school's hall of fame

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was inducted into his high school’s hall of fame Saturday evening in his hometown of Turlock.

Kaepernick grew up in Stanislaus County and attended Pitman High School. His family attended the hall of fame dinner at the Assyrian American Civic Club. Kaepernick and eight others were honored.

He played football, baseball and basketball in high school. During his senior year, Kaepernick led the school in its first playoff win.

Kaepernick created waves after he began kneeling for the national anthem before NFL games two years ago in protest of police brutality. His actions led to nationwide movements and protests, including gaining President Donald Trump’s ire.

Recently, Kaepernick appeared in Nike’s 20th anniversary “Just Do It” campaign commercial.

Pitman High School Athletic Director Dave Wells said Kaepernick deserves the honor at the school.

“Colin was chosen, like all the others, for their contribution to the history of athletes here at Pitman,” Wells said back in September. “Of course, he was an outstanding athlete and a three-sport star.”

Although some people in Turlock agree that Kaepernick’s athleticism makes him deserving of the award, others said they don’t agree with his politics.

“I think he’s a great athlete. I think he’s a leader. He’s inspirational,” said Brad Segars of Turlock. “I think he does everything you should as an athlete. I just don’t agree with his views.”

But Edgar Munguia, who used to hold season passes for the 49ers, said he misses Kaepernick on the field.

“He did good with the Niners,” said Munguia. “(He) should be able to protest no matter how, as long as it’s in a good way. There’s nothing wrong with it.”

http://www.ktvu.com/news/49ers-gold-rush-cheerleaders-speak-out-on-taking-a-knee-during-anthem#/

49ers Gold Rush cheerleader speaks out on taking a knee during anthem
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KTVU)
- The San Francisco 49er’s big win over their cross Bay rival is generating lots of interest. But not just about the lop-sided final score, but also something that happened at the edge of the playing field. An act of protest almost overlooked by the fans and the national TV audience, as Gold Rush member Kayla-M knelt during the national anthem. And it wasn’t the first for her or the group.

“This is bigger than us. This is deeper than us. Like, this is the whole community honestly,” said former Gold Rush member Mariah Mendez via video call from Baton Rouge, La.

She says she and five other cheerleaders, including Kayla, all took a knee during the anthem December 24, 2017 before the NFL Week 16 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Mendez says the 2016 police fatal shooting of Baton Rouge resident Alton Sterling, prompted her to follow Colin Kaepernick’s lead..

“With everything going on, I felt like that was my purpose. especially with having that platform,” said Mendez.

A former Niners signal-caller, Kaepernick began kneeling during the anthem after a spate of fatal police-involved shootings of black men two years ago.

“I think now it’s getting attention because it was such a big game last night. And so they paid attention to everything,” said Mendez.

While Fox Sports cut to commercials during the playing of the “Star Spangled Banner,” some fans did notice the solo protest.

“She’s an America citizen and she has that right. So Freedom of speech if she wants to that. Although I think with her employer if they have rules against that being that she’s on the job representing a company like the 49ers, then there might be some repercussions,” said an unidentified male 49ers fan attending the “Thursday Night Football” game at Levi’s Stadium.

The 49ers say the cheerleaders are not employees of the team and as such, have no comment about Thursday night’s act of defiance. They do say as an organization, they’re supportive of player’s and employee’s right to free speech and free expression. Gold Rush executives did not respond to Fox 2 multiple requests for comments about Kayla-M’s action prior to kick-off.

“She really believes in and really is going for what she believes in,” said Mendez.

In a country struggling to level the playing field, now cheerleaders are garnering greater attention, perhaps for all the right reasons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Redskins ignore Colin Kaepernick, sign Reuben Foster and remind us of who they are

The circumstances surrounding Reuben Foster and Colin Kaepernick have basically zero similarities, except that one is employed and the other is not, and the franchise that decided to immediately snap up an accused domestic abuser before the ink was dry on his booking sheet also hired Mark Sanchez — who’s basically a walking punchline as a quarterback — while sneering in Kaepernick’s general direction.

Connecting these two cases isn’t a reach. The Washington Redskins decide who is on their roster and who is not. Tuesday, they decided Foster, arrested over the weekend for the second time on a domestic violence charge, was worthy of their employ. Last week — and, honestly, probably a year or more ago — they decided Kaepernick, who has knelt for the national anthem in an effort to bring attention to police brutality and other issues that disproportionately affect African Americans, was not.

Where to start?

As an organization, an NFL team has a chance to set an example of what’s good and right. That could be because you conjure up a behind-the-scenes marketing strategy to win over your fan base, or because you possess an actual moral compass. Either way, your fans and your community would understand they can trust your motives and your moves.

The Redskins don’t do that. Ever. They’re shady at best, vile at worst. Tuesday night, they issued a statement attributed to Doug Williams, the senior vice president of player personnel, outlining why they made the waiver claim that brought Foster into their fold just two days after he was cut by San Francisco because of his latest arrest. If I didn’t know better, I’d think Williams was handed a sheet of paper with “his” words written on them and then told, “We’re saying you said this,” and he either had to accept those conditions or quit.

Forget whose words they actually were for a minute. Nowhere in the statement did the franchise indicate it understands the severity of domestic violence in this country. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, more than 10 million women and men are physically abused by an intimate partner, and one in three women has been abused. That’s staggering. A baseline for employment might be — oh, I don’t know — not engaging in such behavior. Ever.

Unless, of course, you can run fast, I suppose.

“If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone,” Williams’s statement read.

Swell. Washington officials, in their statement attributed to Williams, went out of their way to say they had consulted with the Alabama players on their roster — Foster played for the Crimson Tide — to get a read on Foster’s character. Couldn’t they have done the same to learn about Kaepernick? The reason Washington needed a backup quarterback last week is because the starter, Alex Smith, broke his leg. Crazy coincidence, but Smith’s the guy who lost his job to Kaepernick while both were with the San Francisco 49ers. Wonder what he thinks about his old teammate.

Well, lookie here.

“Crazy to think he’s not playing,” Smith told the Kansas City Star in August 2017. “Yeah, that’s a crazy thing. As good as he was playing. Young, strong. I felt like he had a long career ahead of him. Crazy that at this point he’s out of a job.”

Fifteen months later, it’s still crazy.

True, Smith is only one voice. To find another, the Redskins would have had to . . . move down a few lockers to find Vernon Davis, who told a radio host that same month: “My tenure with Kaepernick was nothing but amazing. He was a leader while I was playing with him. He was a great guy off the field, and he worked extremely hard. He’s probably the hardest-working man I’ve ever seen in my life. He does it day-in and day-out, and he’s always been a standup guy. And I’m sure he’s the same way.”

It’s not even worth discussing whether Sanchez is a better quarterback than Kaepernick. But because there will be nitpickers out there who say Kaepernick can’t play, look at the numbers. Career quarterback rating: Kaepernick 88.9, Sanchez 73.9. Career touchdown-interception ratio: Kaepernick 80-30, Sanchez 86-86. Career completion percentage: Kaepernick 59.8, Sanchez 56.7. Career rushing yards: Kaepernick 2,300, Sanchez 449.

It’s not close. And yet, in the preamble to the Dallas-Washington game on Thanksgiving, NBC’s Mike Florio reported that Washington never considered Kaepernick, and that team president Bruce Allen, in particular, wanted no part of him.

Look, I understand that there are people who are offended by Kaepernick’s method of protest. I see it as free speech, a basic principle of American life. But I have heard from people who believe that kneeling on his employer’s time is an affront. Let’s do something we don’t seem to do much anymore — agree to disagree — and move the conversation further.

Employing Kaepernick would provide an opportunity for discussion. The issues he and other players around the league have pushed forward in their protests — incarceration levels of people of color foremost amongst them — are worthy of consideration. The club that puts Kaepernick on its roster, should that ever happen, will help push the reset button on this entire issue. What would result, one would hope, would be a calm, reasoned discussion of what Kaepernick is fighting for, and why. The club that does that would be a leader.

The Redskins lead in no way. They are callous opportunists, putting forth the worst message possible to their fans. Depending on the outcome of his criminal case and an NFL investigation into the circumstances, Reuben Foster may never suit up here. But it’s too late.

We know the stand Washington took: It has little issue harboring an accused domestic abuser even if it won’t foster a discussion on the horrors of domestic abuse, but won’t think of even calling about a thoughtful, iconic figure who some consider toxic. In a week’s time, this club used Reuben Foster, Mark Sanchez and Colin Kaepernick to reiterate who it really is, which is nothing you’d want to root for.

So if that's the case...Ray Rice should've been on a team.

Actually...I'm almost certain had that video not been released...he would still be on a team.
Yup. Ravens were keeping Rice til the whole video came out. NFL owners are hypocrites but no one can do anything about it. Riley Cooper saying Nigger is cool too as far as the NFL is concerned...oh and Richie Incognito can say it too and still be on a team.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/12/04/kaepernick-washington-redskins-jay-gruden/

Redskins Coach Jay Gruden Says Team ‘Discussed’ Kaepernick

WASHINGTON (AP) — Washington Redskins coach Jay Gruden says the team “talked about and discussed” bringing in quarterback Colin Kaepernick for a tryout “but we will probably go in a different direction.”

Gruden told reporters during a conference call Tuesday that would there have been “a greater possibility” of considering Kaepernick if the Redskins were in need of a QB in Week 1 rather than at this stage of the season now.

Washington lost Colt McCoy to a broken right leg in a 28-13 loss at the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday night that dropped the Redskins’ record to 6-6. McCoy had replaced Alex Smith as the starting quarterback after Smith broke his right leg last month.

Gruden said McCoy had surgery Tuesday but would not go on injured reserve immediately because there is a chance he might be able to return before the season ends.

Kaepernick hasn’t played since the 2016 season, when he began kneeling during the national anthem as a way to protest police brutality and social and racial injustice.

He filed a grievance against the NFL last year, saying team owners colluded to keep him off rosters.

19D6C360-66C5-44AA-A731-5B6EAAB934DF.gif

Was watching most of the shows on ESPN and Shannon& Skip yesterday...they ALL went in on this. Lol.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...each-colin-kaepernick-internal-discussions-qb

Redskins didn't reach out to Colin Kaepernick despite internal discussions about QB

Head coach Jay Gruden said the injury-ravaged Washington Redskins "talked about and discussed" signing Colin Kaepernick this past week, but no one from the team reached out to the free-agent quarterback, a source told ESPN.

In fact, despite multiple teams' need for quarterbacks throughout the season, not one team has reached out to Kaepernick to gauge his interest or arrange a workout, according to a league source.

Mark Sanchez, who signed with Washington last month, will start at quarterback Sunday against the New York Giants. The Redskins signed quarterback Josh Johnson on Wednesday to be their backup to Sanchez after losing Colt McCoy to a broken leg in Monday's loss to the Eagles.

Gruden said Wednesday that the Redskins opted against signing Kaepernick because Washington would have to change too much of its offense to adapt to Kaepernick. Gruden acknowledged that there would have been "a greater possibility" of considering Kaepernick if the Redskins were in need of a quarterback in Week 1 rather than Week 14.

"There's not a lot of time to get a brand-new quarterback and system installed in a couple of days," he said before the Redskins signed Johnson. "He's been talked about, but we'll probably go in a different direction."

Johnson, however, served as Kaepernick's backup with San Francisco in 2014 under coach Jim Harbaugh in a West Coast offense, which the Redskins also run.

The Redskins already are without quarterback Alex Smith, who underwent season-ending surgery last month to repair a broken tibia and fibula in his right leg.

tenor.gif

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-executive-bruce-maxwell-kneeling-204859067.html

MLB executive: Bruce Maxwell’s kneeling may keep him from finding work, not his arrest

In September 2017, former Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell became the first major league player to kneel during the national anthem, joining the handfuls of NFL players who had been doing the same to protest police brutality and racial inequality. Maxwell’s effort was laudable, but he got into trouble a month later when he was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and disorderly conduct. Maxwell allegedly pointed a gun at a food delivery person.

Maxwell, 27, played sparingly for the Athletics in 2018 and then was designated for assignment at the beginning of September. He officially became a free agent on November 2 and has had trouble finding work in the month-plus since.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Maxwell fired his agent, Matt Sosnick on Thursday because he’s still jobless. According to an unnamed MLB executive Slusser spoke to, “It’s the kneeling thing that might keep him from getting another job, not the arrest. Owners aren’t going to want to deal with that whole anthem issue.”

That makes a lot of since since abusive players haven’t had too much trouble finding new work otherwise. Addison Russell, Jeurys Familia, and José Reyes, among others have either stayed with their teams or quickly found new work. Given the relatively weak catching market, had Maxwell only had the assault charge, there is no doubt he would have been signed to be a backup catcher somewhere.

In the NFL, Colin Kaepernick — who popularized kneeling during the anthem — has remained unsigned even though teams have opted to sign and start clearly inferior quarterbacks like Mark Sanchez, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, Matt Barkley, and Sam Bradford, among many others. Team owners tend to run conservative in terms of politics, so they may not like the protest to begin with, then there is the public blowback to signing such a player as those who dislike such protesting make up a slight majority in the U.S., according to various polls including one done by the Washington Post.

It’s worth noting that Maxwell has a career .240/.314/.347 triple-slash line in 412 plate appearances. We’re not talking about J.T. Realmuto or Buster Posey here. That being said, there have been 15 other catchers to have put up a lower aggregate OPS since 2016 (min. 400 PA). One of those players, Derek Norris(.600 OPS since 2016), signed a minor league contract with the Tigers just three months after being suspended by Major League Baseball for violating its domestic violence policy. Makes you think.

Back