Welcome To aBlackWeb

How Much Credit Do Latinos Deserve In The Creation Of Hip Hop?

Hip Hop culture is birthed in Urban culture

Plenty of Latinos in NYC were affected by the same plights as blacks and enjoyed the freedom of expression that the four elements gave us. To discount them as part of hip hop history is ludicrous

However, hip hop did not borrow nor was it influenced by anything latino. It would have been created had no Puerto Rican taken up breakdancing or graffiti 🤷🏿‍♂️

None.

Hip Hop music is a Black American creation.

The foundation is Hip Hop can be traced to the Blues, to Muhammad Ali's promos, to James Brown's funk, to Gil Scott Heron and The Last Poets.

All the other groups of people that try to claim they participated in the creation Hip Hop music are full of shit.

Creation of an entire genre of music takes place over generations. It's not an emergent phenomena. The seeds are planted over time until a generation sprouts, taking all that came before them to become a brand new tree.

You can look at the sample history of early Hip Hop music and see what was being sampled it is predominantly and overwhelming Black American music.

Other groups try to take credit for Hip Hop because it's probably the most genius artistic movement ever. It absorbs and swallows every genre. It is almost has no stylistic markers at this point.

But at the end of the day, Hip Hop is Black American, just because some Latinos or Caribbeans participated in it in the early days, doesn't mean their culture created it. White people participated in the early days of Hip Hop too. Shit, motherfuckers like Kraftwerks definitely influenced the electro sound of Newcleus and Afrika Bambatta. Them White folk singers in the hills and shit were rapping as early as the 1930s.

We ain't saying White people is Hip Hop founders are we?

Hip Hop music is Black American as fuck.

Everyone can get the fuck on, I'm tired of hearing about this shit.

"We were there too..."

Then where the fuck is the sonic influence? Nobody was rapping over no damn Merengue huh? Lol you fucking right.

These motherfuckers don't even got linguistic influence. All the early Hip Hop slang is rooted in Black American jazz and funk culture.

Black Americans need to stop including motherfuckers that ain't have shit to do with shit in their cultural origin stories just to be nice. Them motherfuckers don't do the same for you.

Shit, European composition of music have a great influence on Jazz. Hella Jazz artists looked toward European composers of classical music to get their ideas. Used European drill books to learn scales. Went to Europe to learn music theory.

It's still fucking Black American.

Get your story straight before they erase your ass.

Motherfuckers never learn.

Last edited:
I don’t see where they influenced the music like the art of rapping. But it started in the Bronx so we all know they had so break dancing and graffiti but cmon

@5 Grand you were there bro, now is the time to share your experience and opinion.

This

None.

Hip Hop music is a Black American creation.

The foundation is Hip Hop can be traced to the Blues, to Muhammad Ali's promos, to James Brown's funk, to Gil Scott Heron and The Last Poets.

All the other groups of people that try to claim they participated in the creation Hip Hop music are full of shit.

Creation of an entire genre of music takes place over generation. It's not an emergent phenomena. The seeds are planted over time until a generation sprouts, taking all that came before them to become a tree.

You can look at the sample history of early Hip Hop music and see what was being sampled it is predominantly and overwhelming Black American music.

Other groups try to take credit for Hip Hop because it's probably the most genius artistic movement ever. It absorbs and swallows every genre. It is almost has no stylistic markers at this point.

But at the end of the day, Hip Hop is Black American, just because some Latinos or Caribbeans participated in it in the early days, doesn't mean their culture created it. White people participated in the early days of Hip Hop too. Shit, motherfuckers like Kraftwerks definitely influenced the electro sound of Newcleus and Afrika Bambatta. Them White folk singers in the hills and shit were rapping as early as the 1930s.

We ain't saying White people is Hip Hop founders are we?

Hip Hop music is Black American as fuck.

Everyone can get the fuck on, I'm tired of hearing about this shit.

"We were there too..."

Then where the fuck is the sonic influence? Nobody was rapping over no damn Merengue huh? Lol you fucking right.

These motherfuckers don't even got linguistic influence. All the slang is rooted in Black American jazz and funk culture.

Black Americans need to stop including motherfuckers that ain't have shit to do with shit in their cultural origin stories just to be nice.

I think in the 70s Blacks and Latinos were more likely to live in the same neighborhoods and go to the same parties.

Having said that. I think Black people created it, Latinos were right there when it started, and jews ruined it when they got involved. jews are the culture vultures, Like Dave Mays from The Source or Lyor Cohen from Def Jam. Hip Hop was doing just fine until jews got involved.

they were around but we heavily influence them.
They were moving into black neighborhoods and adopting our culture.

Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico didn’t act like the Puerto Ricans living in New York in the 1970’s.

They (NuyoRicans) started acting/speaking like that when they started living around black people.

They were a big part of hip hop. The other elements not just the music part of the culture

"Fat Joe is facing social media’s wrath for comments he made about the origins of Hip Hop culture during a recent Instagram Live.

It all started on Friday (August 26) when the Terror Squad captain shared a video that paid homage to Latino Hip Hop pioneers. He wrote in the caption, “Thank you Thank you Thank you for your contribution to Hip Hop.” The following day, he hopped on Instagram Live to not only big up DJ Khaled’s new God Did album but also address some of the negative comments he was seeing about the post.

“I tell you I never really fuck with Twitter, but I go on there to see they always hating on me and shit,” he begins around the 52-minute mark. “Lately, they’ve been talking about, ‘Latinos wasn’t in rap.’ These guys are fucking delusional. We’re from the Bronx, New York. Shit happens. This is where Hip Hop started. It’s Latino and Black, half and half.

“But they going at me ‘cause I’m like the only Spanish dude with a big voice. Like, ‘Fuck that. Latinos wasn’t there. You was invited. You are a specimen.’ I don’t know what the fuck is up with these people that don’t know their facts.”

Creators Black Americans
First Contributors Puerto Ricans
The thing is you can find a lot examples of Black American artists rapping on songs way before the creation of Rap/ Hip Hop.

Back