Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Drake - Certified Lover Boy

Rate CLB

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who are is contemporaries in hip-hop? Kendrick and Cole?
Both have classic albums.

Kendrick, Wale, Sean, Cole, anybody big who came out around that time and still around

Cole having a classic isn’t unanimous

Kendrick, Wale, Sean, Cole, anybody big who came out around that time and still around

Cole having a classic isn’t unanimous
Im pretty sure 2014 Forest Hills Drive is pretty commonly accepted as a classic.
There are very few unanimous classics.

Also, just because they came out at the same time doesnt mean people like Sean and Wale are in there same tier. The big 3 in hiphop are Drake, Kendrick, and Cole. I dont think anyone else can be considered their peers.

Im pretty sure 2014 Forest Hills Drive is pretty commonly accepted as a classic.
There are very few unanimous classics.

Also, just because they came out at the same time doesnt mean people like Sean and Wale are in there same tier. The big 3 in hiphop are Drake, Kendrick, and Cole. I dont think anyone else can be considered their peers.

Meh, I disagree but all this shit subjective

I dont think FHD is a classic.

End of the day it doesn't matter how we view it because the younger generation is the one ranking and placing these artists in their top 5. We will NEVER put Kendrick, Cole or Drake ahead of Jay-Z, NaS or Pac no matter how many classics they release or how many records sold or milestones reached. Simply because we weren't raised on their music, our experiences weren't tied to it.
Do you think that most accept it as a classic?

How do you view it

I see some on the internet call FHD a classic but most people I know personally just call it an underrated, really good album. I agree with that too.

As far as contemporaries I don’t think you have to be on the same level necessarily. Like right now I consider Kev Hart and Aziz (I know he’s not that funny just making a point) to be contemporaries, they stars in the same constellation even though one shines way brighter.

Contemporary means existing at the same time in the same environment, doesn’t have to be a peer.

Last edited:
I dont think FHD is a classic.

End of the day it doesn't matter how we view it because the younger generation is the one ranking and placing these artists in their top 5. We will NEVER put Kendrick, Cole or Drake ahead of Jay-Z, NaS or Pac no matter how many classics they release or how many records sold or milestones reached. Simply because we weren't raised on their music, our experiences weren't tied to it.

No we won't put them over Nas and Jay because they aren't better rappers

Reactions: GNS
I see some on the internet call FHD a classic but most people I know personally just call it an underrated, really good album. I agree with that too.

As far as contemporaries I don’t think you have to be on the same level necessarily. Like right now I consider Kev Hart and Aziz (I know he’s not that funny just making a point) to be contemporaries, they stars in the same constellation even though one shines way brighter.

Contemporary means existing at the same time in the same environment, doesn’t have to be a peer.
Oh ok, I can see how you are defining that. Im using peer and you are using contemporary is the disconnect.

Easy for us to say but tell that to the younger generation. Like I said earlier, my younger cousins or siblings think they are and that's primarily because they didn't grow up on Jay or NaS in their pivotal years.

No its not that they didn't grow up in Jay and Nas its that they clearly have a bias.

And before you say that I do to, I do not. Jay Z is clearly I better rapper than Kendrick or whoever. Nas is clearly a better rapper than Kendrick etc. Flow, lyrics, albums, features all of the criteria we have been usin' to rank rappers for 30 years.

It is not a generational thing I dunno why you live that line

Dudes just in here saying any old thing. Nobody was checking for wale like drake or k. dot. Be serious. Drake had a wholeass bidding war to get him signed. He and Kendrick both had classic mixtapes prior to their major release, wale is nice but there's levels.

Dudes just in here saying any old thing. Nobody was checking for wale like drake or k. dot. Be serious. Drake had a wholeass bidding war to get him signed. He and Kendrick both had classic mixtapes prior to their major release, wale is nice but there's levels.

Look up what contemporary means and you’ll see we saying the same thing

It is so much a generational thing. You can't expect someone born in 97 to hold a Jay-Z or NaS in higher esteem than artists of their respective era. Lil Xan saying 2Pac is "boring" or Lonzo Ball having a top 5 with Future, 21 Savage, Drake, Offset and Quavo is to be expected. There will be exceptions but they're definitely not the majority and the chart Topping singles dont lie.

I can expect that and do because we don't have Nas and Jay as the best rappers because they happened to be around while we were growin' up. People think they are the best because of bars, flow etc. It's not the same as havin' Future or Drake or 21 in your top five

Back