Welcome To aBlackWeb

Daniel Kaluuya to produce a live-action Barney movie

When they say "live action Barney" what are we really talking about here?

And what is ubiquisitist?

Shout out to him but kids don't care about Barney or Big Bird or Teletubbies or any of that shit any more, they have tablets now they don't need to use their imaginations

That's where the opportunity is tho. Nobody gave a fuck about Captain America and a lot of us thought there were more deserving Marvel characters. Same with The Lego Movies, Black Panther, 21 Jump Street, Star Trek and a few others.

Barney is a classic staple in pop culture. If he can formulate the right script and make it a mixture between a movie for adults and children he can crush the box office and get critical acclaim. My only worry is being that this is his first time doing anything like this (correct me if I'm wrong), what if it's too much to take on right now ? He's an amazing actor but producer ? I don't know. I hope it's a big success for him.

Captain America had 70 years of comics and millions of people who are either comic fans who fans of cartoon and so were aware of him. Also, he was apart of a large expanded universe so the producers knew they had to introduce him to the masses.

There is no way this movie will appease both children and adults and it shouldnt even try. Either be solely children or do something crazy and make a movie for adults like Ted

If I'm Daniel, I'm gonna also spin off a Saturday morning cartoon off Barney, merchandise and more. Fuck it. We used to do that in the 80s and 90s. If a big movie came out you felt it. Niggas had cartoons, limited edition cereals (with the toy in it), McDonald's Happy Meal incentives, action figures and merchandise, maaaaaaaannnnnnn these kids don't know.

It's not the 80s and 90s, merchandise from movies doesn't move anything like it used to because children don't play with toys. All that shit you named (good memories) just isn't worth the effort/money

Iuno fam I respectfully disagree with Captain America. There were far more deserving characters in the Marvel universe they could have chosen. They took a big risk with him, especially given how people felt about America at the time.

Shrek and Toy Story have done well with kids and adults and so have the Lego Movies. You just need a very good script AND director. Ultimately it's gonna be mostly adults who remember Barney and will want to bring their kids to go see it.

What do you mean more deservin'? Cap is the leader of the Avengers he had to be introduced.

Shrek and Toy Story are not Barney, they were designed to be for both children and adult from ground up.

Yes it will be mostly nostalgic parents who take their kids to see it (a growin' trend, unfortunately. Movie companies prostitutin' IPs we made successful and tailorin' it for kids) but Barney himself as a character is only for young children. Unless, like I said, they went the Ted route and it wasn't for children at all.

Nostalgia is a powerful motivator. You don't have to do it exactly but you can do it in a way that fits today's format of what kids are doing and playing. Back then we had console games, now they use smart phones. If done correctly there's a lot of money in it.

Children aren't nostalgic for the stuff we liked when we were kids and they are happy with their Minecraft and Fortnite.

Shout out to him but kids don't care about Barney or Big Bird or Teletubbies or any of that shit any more, they have tablets now they don't need to use their imaginations
Toddlers dont buy movie tix. Their parents do.

Thats why Disney remaking all the old shit. Parents feel nostalgia for all the 90s staples and drag their kids to the shits.

Bro adults are, they're the ones this is gonna be marketed to in order to actually bring the kids to it.

Nobody plays with Lego anymore but the movies are massive successes. The Muppets are 40 years old and still making entertainment. It can be done.

For the movie to be successful, children need to want to watch it. Nostalgic parents are not enough because Barney is not something that children and adults enjoy. It's not Shrek, it's not the Simpsons. It's written and designed for a small age group, and that age group no longer cares for puppets.

Again, Barney is not like the Muppets and the Lego movies have nothin' to do with playin' with Lego.

Iuno fam I respectfully disagree with Captain America. There were far more deserving characters in the Marvel universe they could have chosen. They took a big risk with him, especially given how people felt about America at the time.

Shrek and Toy Story have done well with kids and adults and so have the Lego Movies. You just need a very good script AND director. Ultimately it's gonna be mostly adults who remember Barney and will want to bring their kids to go see it.

The ultimate end goal for Marvel was an Avengers movie. Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor HAD to be in it. Giving us Hawkeye and Black Widow as well humanized it more 'cause neither one has anything other than training and their wits. Everyone else that followed are the characters that could have been selected randomly, but Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor couldn't be replaced.

Besides, you got OG cats like me that watched the Captain America TV show back inna day. I was curious to see how they were gonna handle him.

I'm not saying Captain America should have been replaced. I'm not saying he would have failed. I'm saying that a Captain America film was risky compared to other Marvel characters they could have introduced instead but it worked out. Same can go for Barney if you have the right script and direction.

For Cap, you had to introduce the First Avenger as an origin story set in the 1940s World War 2 and it had to go well with a whole new audience. Not to mention there's a huge budget riding on it and it failing be it critically or financially can change the direction you're trying to go in later making an Avengers movie. The fact that fans like yourself gave it a chance is no reason why people who grew up on Barney can't also show support out of curiosity, nostalgia or interest. That's all I've been saying this whole time.

I really don't like First Avenger much. The reason I gave it any play was because Iron Man, Hulk, and Iron Man 2 set up the whole "Avengers Initiative" story, and that meant Thor and Cap had to come next. Plus, superhero flicks on a whole were on the come-up. Blade, Spiderman, X-Men, and Dark Knight Trilogies set the tone on how they could be done correctly (even if each one had a dud) and Marvel had set-up the concept of a connected universe and it got people interested in "what's next?". Unless Cap had been done with Daredevil-level writing, direction, and casting it would have been pretty hard for it to have flopped.

For Barney... I really think it's too late for a Barney flick. The prime moment for a Barney flick would have been around 2000. That would have been the point where everyone that gave a fuck about Barney would have wanted to go see it. We're almost 20 years past that point. The kids that grew up with the character are adults now with their own kids that likely didn't grow up with Barney. They had Dora, Ni Hao Kai Lan, Paw Patrol, etc teaching them values and shit. I doubt any of those same parents dusted off their old Barney VHS tape or DVD's for their kids so I don't think they're gonna have enough familiarity with him to want to see a flick.

Think about the first Muppet Movie: They struck while the iron was hot 'cause Sesame Street was everything on the education front and The Muppet Show's popularity was phenomenal. They made a movie that kids and adults could watch and the timing for it was perfect because all the characters were household names. Barney had that moment but we're two decades removed from it.

I'm not sold on dude pulling this off.

Bro adults are, they're the ones this is gonna be marketed to in order to actually bring the kids to it.

Nobody plays with Lego anymore but the movies are massive successes. The Muppets are 40 years old and still making entertainment. It can be done.

Nobody plays wit legos anymore?? SHHHHIIIIIEEEETTT...that statement is false.

Legos STILL popular. Moreso than ever.

Back