Welcome To aBlackWeb

2020/2021 College Basketball/Prospects Thread

Can't really teach defense and effort tho.
U dont think so??? I thought Ben Simmons was going to be one of the worst defenders in the NBA based on his college tape. Think he was taught defense and effort and the rest is history. LaMelo is another example. He is not all defense, but u can see a big difference in his defense and effort. There are lots of examples like this.

Defense is one thing i have learned over time to not judge these prospects too harshly on. Some of them carry a heavy load offensively in college that they don't apply themselves defensively.

There are some that never get better, but as long as these kids have the physical tools, i like to give them the benefit of doubt.

Edit
Reread your post, if u are talking about Nurse and his coaching staff specifically, please ignore all that bullshit i just wrote.

U dont think so??? I thought Ben Simmons was going to be one of the worst defenders in the NBA based on his college tape. Think he was taught defense and effort and the rest is history. LaMelo is another example. He is not all defense, but u can see a big difference in his defense and effort. There are lots of examples like this.

Defense is one thing i have learned over time to not judge these prospects too harshly on. Some of them carry a heavy load offensively in college that they don't apply themselves defensively.

There are some that never get better, but as long as these kids have the physical tools, i like to give them the benefit of doubt.

Edit
Reread your post, if u are talking about Nurse and his coaching staff specifically, please ignore all that bullshit i just wrote.

No you have the ability to or you don't. You give the effort or you don't.

I didn't watch ben Simmons in college so I can't speak to his effort but athletically it was there. Whether or not he cared to do it at the college level is another thing.

I feel like you can't teach it cause it is something that comes down to effort, athletic ability and high basketball IQ. Those things for the most part can't be taught.

IQ level can grow over time but that's rare. I've only personally seen it come out in older guys that aren't necessarily the most athletic like sheed, horford, lowry, gasol. (I'm sure there's some players I'm missing but it's rare nonetheless)
Who became much smarter than they were athletic in older age but were able to up their defensive impact by being the highest of bball iq players.

No you have the ability to or you don't. You give the effort or you don't.

I didn't watch ben Simmons in college so I can't speak to his effort but athletically it was there. Whether or not he cared to do it at the college level is another thing.

I feel like you can't teach it cause it is something that comes down to effort, athletic ability and high basketball IQ. Those things for the most part can't be taught.

IQ level can grow over time but that's rare. I've only personally seen it come out in older guys that aren't necessarily the most athletic like sheed, horford, lowry, gasol. (I'm sure there's some players I'm missing but it's rare nonetheless)
Who became much smarter than they were athletic in older age but were able to up their defensive impact by being the highest of bball iq players.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I have seen too many players get better defensively in the NBA.

For example, Brandon Ingram was a pretty bad defender when he was a rookie, by the time we traded him, dude was one of the best defenders on the team (I have no fucking idea why he stopped playing defense in New Orleans, lol)

Kumza is another good example. Dude was a laughing stock on defense, getting cooked on the regular. Now, the dude has become a reliable defender and might give the most effort defensively on the Lakers.

Lonzo is another example. I dont think u can find any scouting report from his college days that said "Good on defense" and the kid has turned into a very good defender.

Like i said in the previous post, as long as these kids have the physical tools i will have faith they can get better on defense.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I have seen too many players get better defensively in the NBA.

For example, Brandon Ingram was a pretty bad defender when he was a rookie, by the time we traded him, dude was one of the best defenders on the team (I have no fucking idea why he stopped playing defense in New Orleans, lol)

Kumza is another good example. Dude was a laughing stock on defense, getting cooked on the regular. Now, the dude has become a reliable defender and might give the most effort defensively on the Lakers.

Lonzo is another example. I dont think u can find any scouting report from his college days that said "Good on defense" and the kid has turned into a very good defender.

Like i said in the previous post, as long as these kids have the physical tools i will have faith they can get better on defense.

You're agreeing with me low key. It was about effort with the guys you mentioned physical tools and athletic abilities were there all along. That's what made them high prospects.

And I think with the guys you mentioned in particular the lakers coaching make up made it so they were getting cooked early on. Kuzma is still pretty shit defensively he just plays high effort cause he's around niggas like lebron and ad. He doesn't have a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y’all think Emoni Bates de committing from Michigan state is a sign that he’s making the jump? Or is he just looking at other schools

Back