Welcome To aBlackWeb

Vanessa Williams recalls 'hurtful' backlash from the Black community after her historic Miss America win

Despite the racist protests and backlash she received from white people, Williams says that the worst criticism she got was from her "own people" who she felt diminished her achievement for being "too light-skinned."

Lol what an ego

You ever consider that maybe she didn't really care about white folks opinions, outside of threats to her safety, but because she's also Black the criticism that came from Black people stung the most?

Also, yeah the shit was there. I remember hearing my mom talk about that shit because she used to love those damn Miss American pagents and rooting for every Black woman every year. Now the whole debate in general about light folks and being judged for their skin tones is another discussion itself because there's nuances involved that make some folks actually serious, and others just trying to vicitimize themselves. But niggas is lying if they say that some folks don't have an irrational dislike of Black people lighter than a certain skin tone based on their own insecurities.

You ever consider that maybe she didn't really care about white folks opinions, outside of threats to her safety, but because she's also Black the criticism that came from Black people stung the most?

Also, yeah the shit was there. I remember hearing my mom talk about that shit because she used to love those damn Miss American pagents and rooting for every Black woman every year. Now the whole debate in general about light folks and being judged for their skin tones is another discussion itself because there's nuances involved that make some folks actually serious, and others just trying to vicitimize themselves. But niggas is lying if they say that some folks don't have an irrational dislike of Black people lighter than a certain skin tone based on their own insecurities.
Word

lmaooooooo “my feelings are hurt because they said I probably won because I was lightskin” - says the light skin woman that probably won because she was light skin

:word?:

I mean, maybe? But it gets to a point where the criticism could very well be unwarranted and would speak more of someones insecurities and ignorance than the attacked persons credentials and merit.

So that's a dismissively simple way of looking at this.

I don't know how y'all can tell her what she did and didn't go through. None of us got any recollection on this unless you're in your 50's.
Bruh, you didn’t have to be there to know what MLK went through.

Just sayin’.

Why y’all acting like people have no way of knowing about historical events of the distant past?

Bruh, you didn’t have to be there to know what MLK went through.

Just sayin’.

Why y’all acting like people have no way of knowing about historical events of the distant past?
It happened to her, who am I or any one else to say it didn't. She's telling you from first hand experience

If we want to be real and honest, she did win for being light skin. This is coming from a light skinned Black woman.

Back