Welcome To aBlackWeb

Tha Doggfather

5th Letter

Mod Squad
1714307016348.jpeg

Released November 12 1996, this was the second album from Snoop Dogg on Deathrow Records. While this album went on to go platinum many people view this album as a disappointment. But was it a bad album? I’ll do my review and give a final verdict.

Track 1. Intro, is a sound bite of news clips surrounding what was going on with Snoop around this time. With the murder case and him trying to clean up his image.

Track 2. Doggfather with additional vocals by Uncle Charlie Wilson was produced by Daz. Solid opening track. Dope laid back beat and Charlie laces the chorus. Good opening song. 7/10

Track 3. Ride 4 Me, is a skit where Snoop gets his lil homie to run up in someone’s house and shoot them with Faze O’s Riding High playing in the background.

Track 4. Up Jump tha Boogie has additional vocals from Kurupt, Charlie Wilson and Teena Marie. Produced by DJ Pooh. This song has that quintessential 90’s west coast sound. Snoop was cool, but Kurupt stole the show. Solid track 7/10

Track 5. Freestyle Conversion produced by Soopafly, the song opens up with Snoop and someone I’m assuming Soopafly saying that Snoop is not the same without Dre beats. Snoop has his usual laid back flow, but the irony of this song isn’t lost either. This beat is mid. 5/10

Track 6. When I Grow Up, produced by DJ Pooh. Is another skit with a smooth R&B sounding track playing in the background, Snoop talks to a kid saying that he wants to be like Snoop and Snoop correcting him by telling him he could be a doctor, lawyer or a Laker instead. He gives the kid some money to share with his brothers.

Track 7. Snoop Bounce featuring Uncle Charlie Wilson, produced by DJ Pooh, same sample as Biggie’s Goin Back To Cali. Solid track no complaints. 6/10

Track 8. Gold Rush features Kurupt and The LBC Crew, produced by Arkim and Flair, imo the best song on the album so far. The song has an old western theme mentioning bank robberies etc. 8/10

Track 9. (Tear Em Off) Me and My Doggz produced by LT Hutton. I’m not feeling this one. Skippable 4/10

Track 10. You Thought featuring Too $hort and Soopafly, produced by Soopafly. The track opens up with DJ EZ Dicc ⏸️ for WBallz radio. Imo another skippable track but not as bad as the previous song. 5/10

Track 11. Vapors featuring Uncle Charlie Wilson and Teena Marie, produced by DJ Pooh. This was the 2nd single from this album. Snoop speaks on himself and people he knows that were ignored and/or hated on, until they got a little success and now people wanted their attention. The message was cool but this isn’t a song I’d go out of my way to play again. 6/10

Track 12. Groupie featuring Uncle Charlie Wilson, Tha Dogg Pound, Warren G and Nate Dogg produced by Daz. With this lineup I thought the song should’ve been better. Solid track but still… 6/10

Track 13. 2001 produced by DJ Pooh. This song is ehh to me. 3/10

Track 14. Sixx Minutes produced by Arkim and Flair, with additional vocals from K Ci, the best produced songs on here are by these guys. Maybe they should’ve did this whole album. Snoop copies Dougie Fresh’s 6 minutes you’re on chorus from The Show. Might be some shots at Pac too 🤔, or I might be tripping. The 2nd best song on here so far. 7/10

Track 15. (OJ) Wake Up featuring Tray Deee, produced by LT Hutton, back to some mid. Snoop was spitting and Tray was solid. 5/10

Track 16. Snoop’s Upside Ya Head featuring Uncle Charlie Wilson produced by DJ Pooh, this was the 1st single. Solid track cool west coast vibe on this. Charlie laced the track. No complaints 7/10

Track 17. Blueberry featuring Tha Dogg Pound and The LBC Crew produced by Sam Sneed. This has that Doggystyle sound, this album needed more songs like this. This is the best song on the album now 8.5/10

Track 18. Traffic Jam, another WBallz Radio skit which leads into the next track.

Track 19. Doggyland produced by DJ Pooh. This imo is Pooh’s best produced song on this album. I would’ve liked it better if this was a solo song by the guy singing the chorus instead. Solid track though 6/10

Track 20. Downtown Assassins featuring Daz Dillinger and Tray Deee, produced by Daz. Solid track Good verses by everyone. 7/10

Track 21. Outro is a concert clip of Snoop and Pac performing 2 of Americas Most Wanted.

There are some good to decent songs on here. But there were too many fillers. Cut down some of these songs and you’d have a pretty good album on your hands. Also none of the singles were great. There was no What’s My Name or Gin and Juice. I think this album was a disappointment and you could tell he missed Dr Dre executive producing the album. 6.5/10

Ugh!! I hated this fucking album!!! Hated w a fucking passion.

Biggest sophomore slump in the history of rap. BIGGEST.

I was expecting a doggystyle part 2 and i got this trash bullshit. Weed plate. 1 mic outta 5.

Only Groupie, wake up (OJ), 2001, sixx minutes are bumpable. The rest of the album is complete ass water.

I blame dre. This was his "im about to leave deathrow/im not doing NO mo beats" era. So he left snoop high n dry w no beats or direction. And it showed.

It's a good album, people hate on it because they wanted more of the same from Doggystyle. But really that's one reason Snoop stayed relevant so long, he kept trying different styles. Kendrick is kinda the same in that regard.

Compared to Doggystyle (which IMO is slightly overrated to begin with) it’s a disappointment. Not a terrible album cuz I honestly think he’s done worse. I can understand him trying to switch some shit up but the execution did not translate well. I can’t even remember the singles from this album.

From Doggystyle top 5 album of all time to this album it ain't even a 3 mic. Never seen such a thing in hip hop before.

NO good song at all on the album. Maybe Gold Rush but beside that awful album.

Back