Welcome To aBlackWeb

A Black Man Was ‘Riddled With Bullets’ After Police Shot Him at Taco Bell..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/us/willie-mccoy-police-shooting.html

Willie McCoy Was ‘Riddled With Bullets’ After Police Shot Him at Taco Bell, Lawyer Says

A man who had apparently fallen asleep in his car at a Taco Bell drive-through was killed in a barrage of gunfire by six police officers earlier this month in Vallejo, Calif. They said he had a gun in his lap and that he appeared to reach for it, but his friends and relatives are calling for the officers’ body camera footage to be released.

The man, identified as Willie McCoy, 20, had injuries so severe that it was hard to tell how many times he had been shot, said Melissa C. Nold, a lawyer for his family. She saw his body in person last week and estimated that there were about 25 gunshot wounds.

“It was just very, very disturbing,” she said. “He was just riddled with bullets. It was really a shock how many times he was actually struck.”

While the body camera footage has not been made public, a bystander filmed the encounter and posted a video to social media. It appeared to show Mr. McCoy’s car, at some distance and out of focus. A sudden burst of gunfire could be heard, lasting for about four seconds.

David Harrison, a cousin of Mr. McCoy’s who saw his body after the shooting, said he did not trust the police department’s version of events. “Willie was shot a whole lot of times,” he said. “Our belief is that Willie was executed, like a firing squad.”

In a statement last week, Peter Bibring, the director of police practices for the American Civil Liberties Union of California, said that California’s laws governing the use of deadly force are too permissive. “Police officers must use deadly force judiciously, with respect for human rights, with a belief in the sanctity of all human life and only when absolutely necessary,” he said. “While this seems like a common-sense standard, it isn’t the current practice in California.”

On Wednesday, the Vallejo Police Department released the names of the six officers involved in response to a public records request from The Mercury News, a newspaper based in San Jose. The paper reported that one of those officers had shot and killed another man during a physical confrontation last year.

Those officers have been placed on administrative leave, and the police department is working with the Solano County District Attorney’s Office to conduct an investigation, including a review of the officers’ body camera footage. It is unclear when, or whether, that footage will be released publicly.

In a tearful address in front of the Vallejo City Council last week, a young woman identifying herself as Mr. McCoy’s girlfriend criticized the police for firing so many times. “I want him to get justice,” she said, adding that she wanted to see footage of the gunfire that killed Mr. McCoy. “I just wanted to ask for the body cameras of those policemen, and I feel like they should get fired,” she said.

Mr. McCoy’s case could become an early test for a new state law — passed last year and taking effect in July — that was meant to increase police transparency in California, which has one of the highest rates of police shootings in the country. The law encourages the release of police body-camera footage, especially after 45 days have passed since an episode like a police shooting.

But the law makes room for exceptions, said Lara Bazelon, an associate professor and the director of the Criminal & Juvenile Justice and Racial Justice Clinics at the University of San Francisco School of Law. She said the police could still withhold evidence for a year or longer if they make a strong enough case that disclosure would interfere with an investigation.

“McCoy’s case has gotten national attention, which ratchets up the pressure to disclose the body-worn camera footage sooner rather than later,” Professor Bazelon said. “The longer the police hold back crucial documentary evidence of what happened, the more it looks to the general public like they have something to hide.”

The police department did not respond to a request for comment. According to the statement released last week, officers arrived at the Taco Bell shortly after 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 9, after an employee called the police to report a man slumped over in his car.

Officers saw that Mr. McCoy appeared to be asleep and had a handgun in his lap. They said that they tried to retrieve the weapon but could not open the driver’s side door because it was locked. Officers were moving their patrol vehicles to place them in front of and behind Mr. McCoy’s car when he woke up, they said.

“The driver began to suddenly move and looked at the uniformed patrol officers,” the statement said. “Officers gave the driver several commands to put his hands up. The driver did not comply and instead he quickly moved his hands downward for the firearm. Fearing for their safety, six officers fired their duty weapons at the driver.”

The police said that Mr. McCoy had had a fully loaded semiautomatic handgun with an extended magazine in his lap, and that the weapon had been reported stolen from Oregon.

Mr. Harrison said he doubted that Mr. McCoy had a gun at all, and he added that a window on his cousin’s car was broken and covered with plastic, so he could not understand why the officers were stopped by a locked door.

“They woke him up with gunfire,” he said, adding that a thorough investigation was necessary and that body camera videos should be released.

“I think the department needs to take a closer look at their officers, and at their policies that allowed this to happen,” Ms. Nold said.

as soon as he woke up, he wakes up to men surrounding his car and bright flash lights in his face and them yelling “let me see your hands”

no identifying themselves
no waking him up w a knock

they never wanted to give that man a chance, and wow at the gunfire... fuck every officer here and their families... I hope everyone of them die slowly in freak accidents

Im so sick of this shit man

you mean to tell me all those police officers couldn't handle one man without firing shots?! It was one fucking guy and like 4-5 cops once the others arrived on the scene

I get so sick to my stomach when I have to see this continuing to happen. I hope I'm alive the day black people become a unit and can properly defend themselves against these people. I'm so sick of this.

A brother can't even fall asleep after a long day craving some good without getting murdered jeez. Some sick shit they had every intention on killing someone that day.

They executed him. Cops are so trigger happy. No matter what situation, once they feel they have a reason to use their guns, they go crazy.

Welp, body cam footage shows dude was asleep when the cops were gathering around him. They basically shot him right after attempting to wake him.

Skip to 19:00

this needs to blow up...

Out of all the videos I’ve seen, to me, this one is the most hateful and gut wrenching...

they purposely stayed as quiet as they could until he woke up and he woke up to lights and screaming, complete confusion... gave him absolutely no time to process anything and they opened fire killing the fuck out of him..

I haven’t seen one story or video on this outside of ABW.

They kill me in these videos when they keep yelling instructions after they shoot people. Come on? Ya'll lit that dude up. He ain't complying with shit at that point.

this needs to blow up...

Out of all the videos I’ve seen, to me, this one is the most hateful and gut wrenching...

they purposely stayed as quiet as they could until he woke up and he woke up to lights and screaming, complete confusion... gave him absolutely no time to process anything and they opened fire killing the fuck out of him..

I haven’t seen one story or video on this outside of ABW.

they're all gut wrenching

Philando was pretty sick as well

people always say dont run, do what you're told, etc......we have perfect examples of why thats bullshit

keeping calm and talking to them, or just fucking sleeping can still get you murdered

they're all gut wrenching

Philando was pretty sick as well

people always say dont run, do what you're told, etc......we have perfect examples of why thats bullshit

keeping calm and talking to them, or just fucking sleeping can still get you murdered

I hear ya, but let's not act like because some people get killed when complying that complying isn't the better option. I'm pretty sure everybody on this site have been pulled over by the cops at least once, and all of us managed to survive. At the end of the day, if the cops have murder on their minds, then nothing you do will save you, but that's not every situation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...d-change-after-fatal-police-shootings-n990606

Residents in Vallejo, California, demand change after fatal police shootings

A fatal shooting in February was the 16th death involving police in the Bay Area city since 2011. Residents and activists say there's a pattern of questionable police conduct.

VALLEJO, Calif. — Three months ago, in this working-class port city 13 miles south of Napa Valley's rolling vineyards, cellphone video showed a white police officer conducting a traffic stop in which he drew his weapon and then tackled and handcuffed a black Marine veteran who was legally filming from his front porch.

In 2017, four Vallejo officers seen on police bodycam descended on an unarmed white man outside of his woodwork shop, throwing him to the ground and pummeling him with fists, knees and batons as he screamed, "I didn't do anything!"

That same year, an officer responding to a fight at a house party fatally shot a Latino man believing he was wielding a knife.

Last year, an elderly black driver mistakenly turned down a closed street — and said she was met by a young white officer who berated her and left her "extremely shaken."

These handful of police encounters and other cases made available in city records, court documents and police reports and through interviews with residents, attorneys and activists represent what they say is a wider pattern of excessive force and overly aggressive policing in their Bay Area community of 122,000 people, feeding into a belief that there is a lack of transparency and accountability for officers' conduct.

Now, a plea for an outside agency or civil rights group to review the Vallejo Police Department has been renewed by residents and activists after the fatal shooting in February of a young black rapper, Willie McCoy, by six officers — the 16th death involving Vallejo officers since 2011, police records show. In San Francisco, with a population more than seven times Vallejo's, the police department has been involved in 22 fatal shootings since 2011.

The majority of those killed by the police in Vallejo have been black and Latino men, police records show. The city remains evenly divided among white, black, Latino and Asian residents.

As in Vallejo, similar concerns have been raised in cities across the country over police interactions that can cost millions of dollars in civil lawsuits, sow distrust, and produce questions about whether independent oversight or outside monitoring is warranted.

"Can we not use the O.K. Corral tactics?" asked Askari Sowonde, a longtime black resident of Vallejo who last fall organized a community meeting around de-escalation tactics of the police department. "We've become the wild, Wild West. That has to change. We're losing too many lives."

Attorneys for McCoy's family say he was shot around 25 times. Employees at a Taco Bell called police after they found him slumped over and unresponsive in his car in the drive-thru. After officers arrived at the scene, they said they discovered the car was locked and in drive, and McCoy had a gun on his lap. The officers were in the process of blocking in the car when McCoy woke up, and police said in a press release that he failed to listen to verbal and visual commands and was shot when six officers surrounding the car believed he was reaching for the gun. His family says the weapon was for protection, and police say it was stolen.

Police Chief Andrew Bidou called the situation a "tragedy."

While the incident remains under investigation by the Solano County District Attorney's Office and the officers were returned to duty three weeks after the shooting, Vallejo police on March 29 released bodycam footage after pressure from the family, saying they did so to "facilitate a community dialogue about the facts of this incident."

Michael Gennaco, a former federal prosecutor and a founder of the California-based OIR Group, which provides independent oversight of law enforcement departments, said the internal review processes for many police agencies just aren't "robust" enough to effectively evaluate officers who have used force to determine if they are still fit to wear a badge.

The Vallejo Police Department does have an Internal Affairs Division, and Bidou can order it to investigate whether officers in use-of-force cases acted appropriately before making a final determination about disciplinary action. It wasn't immediately clear how many officers they have investigated or filed disciplinary actions against.

"When it comes down to it," Gennaco said, "a police agency is only as good as its worst officer."

SHINING A LIGHT

In 2011, Alicia Saddler's mother moved her family to Vallejo to escape the gun violence and crime afflicting their neighborhood in Oakland, about 20 miles to the south. Saddler and her younger brother, Angel Ramos, then 15, settled comfortably into their new community, made up of charming Victorian homes and a shuttered naval shipyard that lured a diverse population.

"Everything was great for a while," Saddler, now 29, said recently, "until the police came in and turned our family upside down."

In January 2017, her family was hosting a house party. People had been drinking for hours, and by early morning, a fight broke out.

Vallejo police were called, and Officer Zachary Jacobsen told investigators that he witnessed a brawl occurring above him on a second-story balcony. He said he saw a man — later identified as Ramos — holding a kitchen knife and making a stabbing motion toward another person.

Jacobsen said that he already had his firearm out because of the nature of the call and that he had explicitly "seen the guy who had the knife inside the house," according to Solano County District Attorney's Office documents recently released by the city. Once Ramos appeared and Jacobsen believed he was stabbing the other person, documents indicate the officer fired his gun four times, killing Ramos.

Family members said to investigators the fight involving Ramos began after he was roused from sleep and rushed over to defend his sister amid a larger melee.

Witnesses told police that Ramos, 21, had been holding a knife inside the house and began swinging it at two others. Police said the two others suffered lacerations and one also had an open wound. The knife was taken away from Ramos, and then he reached for a second one. But when the alcohol-fueled fight moved to the balcony, Ramos was no longer armed, his family told investigators.

Attorneys for the family would later say Ramos was making a punching motion, and not a stabbing one. One officer told investigators that Ramos appeared to be making a striking motion with the bottom of his fist, while another officer said that he did not see a knife, but based on Ramos' movements would have also used lethal force if Jacobsen had not shot him, according to the district attorney's findings.

Amid the chaos, police said, no one listened to commands to break away. Saddler was arrested for resisting and obstruction as her brother lay dying beside her. She was never charged with a crime.

A Solano County District Attorney's Office investigation ended last year with officials concluding that Jacobsen, who had been on the force since 2013, "acted lawfully" and he was "in reasonable fear that Angel Ramos was going to murder another person," according to their findings. The office also concluded that "it can be clearly stated that Angel Ramos was armed with a knife," although it was unclear where — either in the house or on the deck — he presumably stabbed someone, according to the report.

The family said they still had questions: Did Jacobsen really see Ramos holding a knife? Why did he fire toward a dimly lit balcony with an obstructed view and with small children and other witnesses close by? And why didn't he deploy a Taser, as another officer had done, or allow another officer with a clearer vantage point to intervene?

Police insisted Ramos was armed, which the family disputed in the months after his death as they held rallies and vigils maintaining that he didn't have to die.

Then, Saddler told NBC News, the harassment began.

She said that officers shined spotlights into the windows of the family's home, flashed emergency lights and blared sirens as an intimidation tactic, and that her request to Bidou, the police chief, to make it stop went ignored.

Bidou did not respond to requests for comment through the department about the family's allegations as well as overall concerns about policing in the city.

Saddler's family filed a federal lawsuit against the department, which alleges wrongful death and the violation of the family's civil rights. The suit, filed in August 2017, says that five months after the shooting, a man claiming to be a Vallejo police officer "accosted" Saddler in a nightclub parking lot and said that her family "needed to quit pursuing legal actions."

Back