Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Who got the strap?... Official Gun Owners Thread

Are u a gun owner?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder if this will work on racoons
I haven't seen one to try it out on, I've tried to grab it for alley cats but they're usually gone before I come back with it. It's a break barrel so it's one shot and then you have to reload so there's probably something more efficient but might cost a little more then the $120 I spent at Walmart on it

I wonder if this will work on racoons

prolly not. Raccoons sometimes need multiple shots from a .22lr rifle to go down. A .22 magnum with good shot placement could prolly do it in one hit. Personally, if them critters decide to come out of the woods behind my row of houses I'mma use either my .22WMR CMR30 or my 9mm Sub 2000 rifle to dispatch 'em.

prolly not. Raccoons sometimes need multiple shots from a .22lr rifle to go down. A .22 magnum with good shot placement could prolly do it in one hit. Personally, if them critters decide to come out of the woods behind my row of houses I'mma use either my .22WMR CMR30 or my 9mm Sub 2000 rifle to dispatch 'em.
You’re not thinking about clean up.

Too large too forceful and you risk splattering the rodent on what ever is splash range.

You’re not thinking about clean up.

Too large too forceful and you risk splattering the rodent on what ever is splash range.

I live off a country road, all you see up and down that road every single day is nothing but splattered 'coon, 'possum, polecat, and deer.

But if you're worried about cleanu, honestly, .22WMR will do the trick with minimal splatter. That's what my CMR30 shoots.

I have some of the TNT ammo he's using in this video, specifically I've got CCI Maxi Mag TNT 30gr rated at 2200fps as well as Hornady's 22 WMR 30 gr Varmint Express with their red ballistic tip, also moving around 2200fps. To be honest, I'd say even the Federal Game Shok 50gr or any of the 40 gr would work well on 'coon.

Can't even do that shit out here. Metro got this shit called ShotSpotter in place. It detects gunshots and cops are sent to the location, usually before someone calls 911. That hookah lounge shootout I posted about a coupla months ago had cops en route before the first 911 call even came in.
The company ShotSpotter, now known as SmartThinking, was founded in 1996 by a physicist and two engineers, using technology inspired by physicist Robert Showen’s work to determine the location of earthquake epicenters. The company’s product is now used in more than 160 cities, according to its website.

The technology itself employs acoustic sensors that are placed high above the street to avoid street-level sounds, according to Tom Chittum, senior vice president of Forensic Services at SoundThinking. The sensors are triggered by loud sounds that resemble gunshots.

An alert is triggered if three separate sensors detect a loud sound. The system then calculates the time the sound reached individual sensors to determine the location of the gunshot.

An algorithm determines whether the sound is consistent with a gunshot. The recording then goes through further review from employees at SoundThinking’s incident review center. The company says the entire process takes less than a minute between the shots fired incident to showing up in a department’s call center or on an officer’s computer or phone.

In order to determine where sensors go, police departments “analyze and provide historical gunfire and homicide data” to the company. The microphones are then placed in areas “in most need of gunshot detection.

But there’s an element of secrecy to the system — neither police departments nor cities and towns know where each individual sensor is located. SoundThinking says this confidentiality is to protect community members.

The system has been used in the state’s largest city, Boston, since 2007. The city paid about $1.5 million to install the system.

SNEAKING MUTHAFUCKAS

Can't even do that shit out here. Metro got this shit called ShotSpotter in place. It detects gunshots and cops are sent to the location, usually before someone calls 911. That hookah lounge shootout I posted about a coupla months ago had cops en route before the first 911 call even came in.
The company ShotSpotter, now known as SmartThinking, was founded in 1996 by a physicist and two engineers, using technology inspired by physicist Robert Showen’s work to determine the location of earthquake epicenters. The company’s product is now used in more than 160 cities, according to its website.

The technology itself employs acoustic sensors that are placed high above the street to avoid street-level sounds, according to Tom Chittum, senior vice president of Forensic Services at SoundThinking. The sensors are triggered by loud sounds that resemble gunshots.

An alert is triggered if three separate sensors detect a loud sound. The system then calculates the time the sound reached individual sensors to determine the location of the gunshot.

An algorithm determines whether the sound is consistent with a gunshot. The recording then goes through further review from employees at SoundThinking’s incident review center. The company says the entire process takes less than a minute between the shots fired incident to showing up in a department’s call center or on an officer’s computer or phone.

In order to determine where sensors go, police departments “analyze and provide historical gunfire and homicide data” to the company. The microphones are then placed in areas “in most need of gunshot detection.

Kade Crockford, the director of ACLU Massachusetts Technology for Liberty Program, said some of the major concerns around the system come from over-policing of minority and underprivileged communities — where critics say most of the sensors are installed — and even false arrests.

In 2020, Michael Williams, a Black man, was arrested in Chicago under suspicion of shooting a passenger in his car. Prosecutors said ShotSpotter audio indicated Williams shot and killed the man, with little evidence besides the audio and nearby security video footage.

“The arrest was baseless… Officers put blind faith in ShotSpotter evidence they knew or should have known was unreliable in order to falsely arrest and prosecute Mr. Williams for murder,” a lawsuit filed by Williams against the City of Chicago read.

Williams spent 11 months in jail before the charges against him were dismissed in 2022 based on a lack of evidence. Crockford said the incident raised concerns about overzealous police officers, mainly getting alerts in minority neighborhoods, arresting suspects based on ShotSpotter activations.

The system’s accuracy is one of its most controversial aspects, with different studies coming to wildly varied conclusions.

SoundThinking insists that it has a 97% accuracy rate — with a 0.5% false positive rate — based on an independent audit of the system by Edgeworth Economics. The company commissioned the study after the MacArthur Justice Center (MJC) published their own study in 2021 using data from Chicago that indicated 89% of the system’s triggers turned up no gun-related crime.

In its response to the MJC study, Edgeworth wrote that the MJC “fail[ed] to provide a rigorous, balanced, and objective assessment” of the system because it used “inappropriate data” and relied on whether police reports were filed in the incident.

But other studies, too, show varying levels of efficacy for the technology. In 2021, Chicago’s Office of the Inspector General concluded that only 9.1% of gun-related criminal offenses were found when the Chicago Police Department responded to ShotSpotter alerts.

In Cambridge, former Police Commissioner Branville Bard wrote a memo during a city council probe of the system in 2021 giving data that showed that over six years, only 35 out of 105 activations were confirmed as a shooting incident — a false positive rate of over 65%.

During that time, 13 arrests were attributed to the system, which cost the city $50,000 a year, according to the Cambridge Public Safety Committee.

Based on records obtained from Cambridge by Boston.com, ShotSpotter has only gone off in the city five times during the past year. Three records were withheld due to active investigations into the incidents, but two others, one in November and one in April, were found to be false alarms likely triggered by fireworks.

In Boston, public records requested by Boston.com showed that out of 571 activations of the system in the past year, about 250 were marked as “shots fired” or “multiple shots fired.”

Apart from the system’s accuracy, studies have shown that the system has little, if any, impact on reducing firearm related crime. A study of ShotSpotter data between 1999 and 2016 by the Journal of Public Health found that implementing the system “has no significant impact on firearm-related homicides or arrest outcomes.”

Another incident in Chicago involved officers firing at a 14 or 15 year old child when they received a ShotSpotter alert which turned out to be fireworks. In 2021, 13-year-old Adam Toledo was shot to death by police responding to a ShotSpotter activation.

The questionable accuracy of the system but the high-tension situations police are expecting when responding to an alert can be a dangerous mix, Naples-Mitchell said.

“Police are being sent assuming there’s a shooter,” she said. “Police are sent into neighborhoods looking for evidence of a shooting which has them on extremely high alert and can make for very dangerous encounters for members of the public and for police, frankly, if they’re expecting there to be someone armed and dangerous when there is no one.”

It has taken 8 muhfuckin weeks to buy this goddamned pistol. Finally got it today. State of Michigan enacted a new law at the beginning of the year that said that anyone without a CPL must get a license to purchase from your local police agency BEFORE buying it for every single handgun purchase you make. I had put this in layaway in mid-March figuring the lil $55-$56 a week ain't gonna hurt nothing so fuck it. right before I made the last payment, I applied for a license to purchase from the city police dept, figuring they only take a day or so to clear you so I'll have it in time to make the final payment and just pick it up.

... But this is me we're talking about... Shit ain't NEVER that easy... EVER!

A week goes by, nothing. Called them up and it's "The chief is out of town for a conference, he'll be back next week and I'll have him approve it".
Another week goes by: "The chief has been in and out all week, I'll stop him and have him sign it the next time he's in"
Another week... and another. At this point, RangeUSA done called me like "aye, come in and re-layaway the gun". I had already paid everything off except the last $5, so I went in and put it back into layaway. While I was there, someone had mentioned that the county sheriff was turning LTP's around in like a day, so the next day I was at the sheriff's office filling out the form.

If this had gone until tomorrow, it would have taken the sheriff 4 full weeks to clear me. The City cops still haven't. Thankfully I have that uPIN from the FBI to speed up clearing the 4473 otherwise I'd prolly be waiting on that to come back as well.

IMG_20240606_171953483.jpg

Back