Welcome To aBlackWeb

Zimbabwe Signs $3.5 Billion Compensation Deal With White Farmers

ElijahPrice

The agreement is a turning point in a dispute that tipped the southern African nation’s economy into freefall by slashing food production and export income and prompted sanctions from the U.S. and the European Union.

“Today marks a huge milestone,” Andrew Pascoe, president of the Commercial Farmers Union that represents the White farmers, said Wednesday at a signing ceremony in the capital, Harare. “As Zimbabweans, we have chosen to resolve this long-outstanding issue.”

The government plans to sell a 30-year bond on international markets to pay for the compensation, according to the agreement it signed with the farmers. Those whose land was expropriated will receive half their money in a year and the balance in four equal installments annually.

A committee has been formed by the government, farmers and donors to help raise the funding, Vice President Constantino Chiwenga said at the ceremony.

Absolutely sickening. Those who backed the coup against Mugabe are pure Western race traitors.

#Unfuckingbelievable but since you have a puppet in charge well I can see it...

I'm about to hit up my Zimbabwean homegirl about this shit

I don't understand this at all. At one time they were inviting the farmers back, and I understood that. The blacks that took over the farms failed and it was hurting the country, so it made sense to bring back the people that knew what they were doing. It doesn't make any sense to pay those farmers compensation though.

Mugabe was 93 years old when that coup happened. Did he expect to rule forever?

Even Castro understood that you have to pass the torch to the younger generation if you want to preserve what you're trying to do.

i understand that nobody wants to wind up like Lumumba or Thomas Sankara but damn

I don't understand this at all. At one time they were inviting the farmers back, and I understood that. The blacks that took over the farms failed and it was hurting the country, so it made sense to bring back the people that knew what they were doing. It doesn't make any sense to pay those farmers compensation though.

Well the good news is they're not really paying them lol:

But the southern African nation does not have the money and will issue long term bonds and jointly approach international donors with the farmers to raise funding, according to the compensation agreement.

The agreement signed at President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s State House offices in Harare showed white farmers would be compensated for infrastructure on the farms and not the land itself, as per the national constitution.

"long term bonds and jointly approach international donors"

:sayword:

so in other words they getting IOUs and charity donations lol

Mugabe was 93 years old when that coup happened. Did he expect to rule forever?

Even Castro understood that you have to pass the torch to the younger generation if you want to preserve what you're trying to do.

i understand that nobody wants to wind up like Lumumba or Thomas Sankara but damn

Well the good news is they're not really paying them lol:

"long term bonds and jointly approach international donors"

:sayword:

so in other words they getting IOUs and charity donations lol

Yeah, this is complicated. I'm one of the people that thought that kicking the whites off their farms in Zimbabwe and South Africa was wrong. We had the argument in here and of course the super pro-black crowd came in here accusing me of trying to defend the white man instead of actually listening to the reasoning.

The move was rash and wasn't well thought out, and both countries have suffered for it. The super farms in place in those two countries were put there by white people. That's not the style of farming that Africans in the area traditionally did. Also, the whites only allowed Africans to work at a low level. They never allowed the Africans to get to a position where they could really learn the ins and outs of how those big farms worked. So when the whites were kicked off the farms and blacks took over, they weren't able to do things right. In Zimbabwe, they tried to cut up the big farms and distribute among different families. That caused problems because 1) there was corruption in how the land was distributed and 2) the country's economy and ability to feed its citizens was based on the production of the big farms. When they broke them up into smaller farms, the production was different and didn't fulfill the nation's needs. In South Africa, they tried to run the big farms as they had been done for decades and just failed and ended up wanting the white farmers to come back.

I don't think they should be giving these farmers reparations. I think they should do what they should have done in the first place. Made sure the white families kept a fair plot of land for themselves, and in exchanged contracted them to train blacks to work the larger scale farms to the benefit of the nations. Everyone would have benefited from that approach.

Back