Welcome To aBlackWeb

Zimbabwe Gives Land Back to White Farmers After Wrecking Economy. FRFR? WTF

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Two decades after President Robert Mugabe wrecked Zimbabwe’s economy by urging black subsistence farmers to violently force white commercial farmers and their workers off their land, his successor has thrown in the towel.

Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government has proposed settling all outstanding claims against it by farmers by offering them land

“The object of the regulations is to provide for the disposal of land to persons entitled to compensation,” Land Minister Perence Shiri said in regulations published in the Government Gazette Friday.

The seizures that began in 2000 were ratified by the government, which said they were needed to redress colonial imbalances. A vibrant agricultural industry that exported tobacco and roses and grew most of the food the nation needed collapsed. Periodic food shortages ensued, inflation became the world’s highest and the manufacturing industry was decimated. What was one of Africa’s richest countries became one of its poorest.

Almost 4,500 white-owned properties and others protected under government-to-government agreements were affected by the program.

The southern African nation this year budgeted about Z$380 million ($21 million) for compensation. Several farms that were protected under so-called Bilateral Investment Protection Agreements belonged to nations including the U.K., South Africa, Australia, the Netherlands and Denmark.

They had to do something. Hate this had to be it but this is the same country that had an interest rate of 6 sextillion percent and devalued their dollar so much they were printing off trillion dollar currency.

Zimbabwe%20Trillion_3_CROP.jpg

... which reminds me. I've been meaning to buy some of those old bank notes just because.

Nah...They telling me they NEED white people.

No one could tend them crops? Nobody?

Govt couldn't train people?

Yea ok

One of the first debates I had on this site was about a similar topic, but niggas be too much on some black/white shit to understand.

The type of farming traditionally done in those regions of Africa was very small plot farming. When white people came they shifted to huge plot farming. We're talking about shit measured in acres vs hectares.

Both Zimbabwe and S. Africa did the same thing. They kicked the white farmers off the land and then tried to take over, but didn't really know what the fuck they were doing. The Zimbabweans had a little success, but they were mostly producing nonfood crops. While some farming families were making money, the country wasn't producing a needed resource. Then a draught came through and they were fucked.

You ask if the government could train people. No, because the government is made up of the same black people who don't understand that large scale farming.

Where them niggas that was arguing with me back then. They swore up and down that I was wrong. All I suggested is that they throw the white farmers a little land to train the blacks in the area to run the big farms. They thought that was preposterous, and now these countries are about to wind up giving all the land back to the whites instead.

The only problem with some of these countries in Africa is that they have shitty government and corruption out the ass. Stick good government in there across the board and I'll change my prediction from saying The African Union will become a superpower in 20-30 years to 10 years.

It's more than that though. Even some of the countries that try to get good governments have to deal with warlords and outside forces.

Shit, now they really have to pay attention when them crackas take back the land so when they're ready to kick them off again it's more successful.

I disagree with saying, their farmers did not know how to farm that size. So my theory is a lil diff than some of yall.

It wouldnt surprise me that after the government seized the land, 2 things happened. First, most if not all of that valuable land was given to government officials, their friends & family members, that suddenly became farmers. Second, the actual farmers that got huge amounts of land, got just that. A bunch of land. They then had the problem of not having enough equipment to work a plot that size. Odds of them getting big loans to buy a bunch of equipment is little to none.

I disagree with saying, their farmers did not know how to farm that size. So my theory is a lil diff than some of yall.

It wouldnt surprise me that after the government seized the land, 2 things happened. First, most if not all of that valuable land was given to government officials, their friends & family members, that suddenly became farmers. Second, the actual farmers that got huge amounts of land, got just that. A bunch of land. They then had the problem of not having enough equipment to work a plot that size. Odds of them getting big loans to buy a bunch of equipment is little to none.

They didn't. That's just a fact. It's not a theory.

Your first point is correct. The government did give the land to special people. That didn't matter that much though because again, no one in the country knew how to run a farm like that from the top because whites never shared that information. Again, the Zimbabweans broke the farms up into smaller plots and had success like that. The problem is they didn't know how to strategically select and rotate crops for the good of the nation. They just ran the farms for the benefit of the families that owned them.

The second point is incorrect. When they took over the lands, they took over the infrastructure and equipment too. It's not like the whites got on the planes to get the hell out of town and took tractors with them.

Back