Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Worst Character Tournament (Rd2): Tony Soprano vs Walter White

Worse Character?

• Tony Soprano

• Walter White

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mike hurt his feelings
I watched breaking bad weekly like everyone else but then later on i binged the whole thing in a week and it really put shit in perspective... I really really legit saw Walter the way the writers wanted us to. No matter what he does, no matter how dirty he is he's doing it because he feels he has to not because that's his nature. The writers painted him as a desperate white man with no other options and that's really how I saw him during the binge. Unlike a Tony Soprano who was a natural menace to society cuz its in his DNA from years from prior generations. Or take a Franklin Saint... he wasn't a natural menace. He wasn't a natural piece of shit but he eased into his new role and was ok with it. Walter White never was ok with what he became...IF IT WAS UP TO HIM, those five or six seasons and the spin off movie never would have happened, he would have just been your regular neighborhood chemistry teacher

I watched breaking bad weekly like everyone else but then later on i binged the whole thing in a week and it really put shit in perspective... I really really legit saw Walter the way the writers wanted us to. No matter what he does, no matter how dirty he is he's doing it because he feels he has to not because that's his nature. The writers painted him as a desperate white man with no other options and that's really how I saw him during the binge. Unlike a Tony Soprano who was a natural menace to society cuz its in his DNA from years from prior generations. Or take a Franklin Saint... he wasn't a natural menace. He wasn't a natural piece of shit but he eased into his new role and was ok with it. Walter White never was ok with what he became...IF IT WAS UP TO HIM, those five or six seasons and the spin off movie never would have happened, he would have just been your regular neighborhood chemistry teacher

False

He admitted that he liked doing what he did. Walter stayed in the game due to his pride and ego. Out of all the people within the Breaking Bad universe the only one who wasn't buying his bullshit was Mike. He called Walter out on his bullshit, dressed him down and destroyed the myth of Heisenberg and Walter couldn't take it and shot him. To me, that is much worse than Tony who was indoctrinated into the game and was raised by dysfunctional parents.

False

He admitted that he liked doing what he did. Walter stayed in the game due to his pride and ego. Out of all the people within the Breaking Bad universe the only one who wasn't buying his bullshit was Mike. He called Walter out on his bullshit, dressed him down and destroyed the myth of Heisenberg and Walter couldn't take it and shot him. To me, that is much worse than Tony who was indoctrinated into the game and was raised by dysfunctional parents.

I know. I get it but still, I feel like no matter what he would rather be a nerd teaching chemistry

It's like if you got drafted into the military against your will but became the meanest killing machine they had ... you're good..no great at it but you still just don't like it at heart. I think that's Walter

Walt made the money he needed for his family 100 times over. He could've gotten out at anytime he wanted but chose not to. Empire business and all. He could've taken the money from Grey Matter and avoided the whole thing but his hubris would never allow him.

Tony had no such luxuries, he was born into it, bred for it. He never had the makings of a varsity athlete afterall.

Walt poisoned a kid, watched a girl die, blew up a hospital, and got his own brother in law murdered, all because he was too egotistical to accept help.

Walt made the money he needed for his family 100 times over. He could've gotten out at anytime he wanted but chose not to. Empire business and all. He could've taken the money from Grey Matter and avoided the whole thing but his hubris would never allow him.

Tony had no such luxuries, he was born into it, bred for it. He never had the makings of a varsity athlete afterall.

Walt poisoned a kid, watched a girl die, blew up a hospital, and got his own brother in law murdered, all because he was too egotistical to accept help.
I thought he took the early payout because he needed the money for his family back then?

I don't know about this. As bad as Tony was, he never killed anyone for simply hurting his feelings. For Tony, most of the time he about busy, while Walt was about his ego.
Tony was a total sociopath tho. He only held sentiment for babies and animals.

Walt’s ego allowed for bitterness and resentment become so malignant, and his bitterness and resentment was part of the reason he “broke bad.”

Tony ran an organized crime family that was responsible for more suffering and murder than Walt. The whole mafia code is bullshit. They’re all just acting in their own best interests.

Tony didn’t handle Ralphie, Ralphie killed his girlfriend. Everyone under him operated under SOPs that were entirely cruel and at times necessary.

Tony had a level of evil that was far above Walt.

Tony fucked around on his wife over and over. Almost fucked his nephews old lady.

Tony ruined his high school friends life over his sporting goods store. No remorse whatsoever.

Tony was also wildly racist.

I’m not saying this in defense of Walt or that he wasn’t a bad person, I just think Tony was worse.

Part of the reason Sopranos is so good is because the writers actually had Tony be so evil. Breaking Bad did the same, but Walt just wasn’t quite as bad in my opinion.

At the end of the day, “Under the Boardwalk…. With a schlong in Jan’s mouth” was one of the funniest cold lines of all time.

Back