Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Why There Hasn’t Been A Classic Rap Album In The Past 10 Years | The Breakdown

this was a pretty good breakdown

i agree with practically everything

very well thought out and produced

"Will his future classics out-classic his old classics?"

I think I found this funnier than I should have.

Don’t necessarily agree with dude because an album could potentially reach his personal definition of a classic, yet end up as a weed plate.

A classic is an album that you and others can listen to with minimal to no skippables. Classics are albums full of hits and they’re perfect for small bbqs or gatherings.

I don’t need him or any other expert to tell me if GKMC is a classic or not. Because we’re able to put it on at one of our gatherings and our guests are able to vibe to it from beginning to end, it proves to me that I’m right about it being a classic.

Don’t necessarily agree with dude because an album could potentially reach his personal definition of a classic, yet end up as a weed plate.

A classic is an album that you and others can listen to with minimal to no skippables. Classics are albums full of hits and they’re perfect for small bbqs or gatherings.

I don’t need him or any other expert to tell me if GKMC is a classic or not. Because we’re able to put it on at one of our gatherings and our guests are able to vibe to it from beginning to end, it proves to me that I’m right about it being a classic.

it proves it was a good album. Not all good albums are classics though.

I can get with the notion that we're in a different era of hip hop. An artist used to release an album ever couple years or so with practically nothing in between unless you were on a soundtrack or side project (ie. BIG on Junior Mafia). That anticipation was everything as it showed an artists growth.

In this era, which i credit Wayne for, it's been about body of work. To me, Wayne doesn't have a 5-mic album per se, but he does a chunk in Hip-Hop where a lot of his verses and songs were fire. So no, the Carter II wasn't classic, but it added to Wayne's Gold Era.

Kendrick and J.Cole are they only two newer artists that are able to buck the current mixtape trend and effortlessly do numbers like 90's artist. Thus allowing them to display growth and maturity. Others have to do it the fast food way and that quality come down.

That being said, when I think of a clasic album, I think of the influential and monumental aspect of the album. While artist are still very popular and still make decent money, it's hard to find those highly influential, monumental albums.

Murs is looking from the scope of an older hip hop head. He's accustomed to the old way of how hip hop was manufactured. Like @Matike85 said, this is the New Testament of HipHop, us veterans just have to accept it.

Back