Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why is supprting black owned businesses so difficult sometimes?

Bow to Royalty

Just facts
Do you ever get tired of trying to support SOME black businesses?

I like to support black businesses when I see them doing their thing. But I feel like that too often comes with tolerating some bullshit. Like I wanted to get me and the wife lunch today at like 1:30, from this black owned place that opens at 1:00. Then I see they decided not to open until 3:00 today. I also tried to get them for dinner last night around 6:30 (they close at 8:00). I rolled up, didn't see anyone. Called... no answer. They had closed at like 6:00...2 hours early.

Now, I just wanna be like fuck them then. Y'all ever notice this as being a common problem?

I like to support black businesses when I see them doing their thing. But I feel like that too often comes with tolerating some bullshit. Like I wanted to get me and the wife lunch today at like 1:30, from this black owned place that opens at 1:00. Then I see they decided not to open until 3:00 today. I also tried to get them for dinner last night around 6:30 (they close at 8:00). I rolled up, didn't see anyone. Called... no answer. They had closed at like 6:00...2 hours early.

Now, I just wanna be like fuck them then. Y'all ever notice this as being a common problem?

With restaurants, it's pretty hit and miss.

I spoke on it either here or the IC, but we've had some pretty bad experiences with Black-owned restaurants in the past. Even recently over the summer, there's a soul food spot in the food court at the mall down the street and they're constantly out of shit. My wife wanted dinner from there while she was in the hospital towards the end of July and damned near everything she asked for they were either out of or there was a limited amount. On top of that, about two weeks later they ended up shut down by the health inspector with something ridiculous like 40 demerits and classified as an "imminent health hazard".

With restaurants, it's pretty hit and miss.

I spoke on it either here or the IC, but we've had some pretty bad experiences with Black-owned restaurants in the past. Even recently over the summer, there's a soul food spot in the food court at the mall down the street and they're constantly out of shit. My wife wanted dinner from there while she was in the hospital towards the end of July and damned near everything she asked for they were either out of or there was a limited amount. On top of that, about two weeks later they ended up shut down by the health inspector with something ridiculous like 40 demerits and classified as an "imminent health hazard".

That's what I'm saying. I want to be supportive, but I'm not about to be constantly inconvenienced to do it. And it's basic shit.

Be open when you say you're open. Have the food you say you have.

Back when places had CD’s, I went to a record shop and asked if they had a particular CD.

Guy behind the counter said no, but they could order it for me.

Told me to check back the following week.

I came back and asked about the CD.

They still didn’t have it.

I decided to just go to the mall and bought it there.

I ain’t gonna keep on checking up to see if the black-owned business got what I want.

I never went back.

Back when places had CD’s, I went to a record shop and asked if they had a particular CD.

Guy behind the counter said no, but they could order it for me.

Told me to check back the following week.

I came back and asked about the CD.

They still didn’t have it.

I decided to just go to the mall and bought it there.

I ain’t gonna keep on checking up to see if the black-owned business got what I want.

I never went back.

There's a spot in Ypsi called Puffer Reds that sold music and clothes and everything I threw their way, they got it and always made a point to let me know they got it. Even though the shit would be a little more expensive than copping at a larger spot at the mall or even Best Buy, I always gave them my business when it came to cd's and cassettes 'cause they knew hip hop backwards and forwards and would bend over backwards to get you what you wanted.

There's a spot in Ypsi called Puffer Reds that sold music and clothes and everything I threw their way, they got it and always made a point to let me know they got it. Even though the shit would be a little more expensive than copping at a larger spot at the mall or even Best Buy, I always gave them my business when it came to cd's and cassettes 'cause they knew hip hop backwards and forwards and would bend over backwards to get you what you wanted.
That’s another thing….

Why does it have to be “a little more expensive”?

But, other than that, it seems like a cool spot.

That’s another thing….

Why does it have to be “a little more expensive”?

But, other than that, it seems like a cool spot.

easy: They can't buy in larger quantities so they don't get the same discounted wholesale price as larger businesses do.

For example: I worked for this small music instrument chain in Metro Detroit back in the day and the store I worked out of had a Guitar Center about a quarter of a mile to a half mile straight down the street from us. We sold a lot of the same shit that GC sold, however GC could buy in far larger quantities than we ever could so they're pricing would almost always be better than ours on the majority of gear we sold EXCEPT Akai stuff. Akai sold to everyone at the same price, they gave no fucks if you bought 10 MPC's from them or 10000, you got it at the same wholesale price. So stuff from companies like Roland, Ensoniq/Emu, or Tascam was more expensive with us over GC because they had the buying power to get the shit much cheaper. Technically we could sell at those prices, but in doing so we wouldn't make any money on the gear and would basically break even whereas GC was still making a profit on every unit. What we had to do was pitch to the customer was that our staff was far more knowledgeable than GC's and we could always demonstrate that knowledge because most of us were active musicians, recording engineers, or DJ's whereas GC would take someone with no knowledge and stick them on the sales floor.

That's how it works. That's how Best Buy, Walmart, Guitar Center, and the like have driven many small business out of the markets.

I’ve been to plenty of great black owned businesses in NY so I can’t speak for everyone.

But the the truth is when you grew up around a certain demographic like ours, you tend to be highly critical about their customer services. Blacks tend to be highly prejudice of other blacks. That’s just the harsh reality in many cases in this country.

Many of us black kids weren’t raised being supported by black business OWNERS in our close vicinity. It was always the Asians, the Indians, the whites or the Hispanics.

It is kind of rough for most restaurants these days due to the employee shortage.

I 100% percent support local black owned biz.

I think a major problem in general with blacks supporting blacks is we have this notion that somehow they should devalue the worth of their goods and services because “we supposed to be brothas/sistas” and we really gotta get outta that.

Just like homie explained…small bizes dont have the capital to buy at wholesale process like the major chains so they have to charge “ a lil extra” to make a profit. They not trying to get over…they trying to make money.

as long as the product is quality and the customer service is great I dont mind spending that extra money to shop with them.

It's a two sided problem... some of us will go to the spot and look for a hook-up and some of our black business owners will have poor business practices... but when you come across one where it's on point and you see black folks looking to get it straight... shit is beautiful

Last edited:
easy: They can't buy in larger quantities so they don't get the same discounted wholesale price as larger businesses do.

For example: I worked for this small music instrument chain in Metro Detroit back in the day and the store I worked out of had a Guitar Center about a quarter of a mile to a half mile straight down the street from us. We sold a lot of the same shit that GC sold, however GC could buy in far larger quantities than we ever could so they're pricing would almost always be better than ours on the majority of gear we sold EXCEPT Akai stuff. Akai sold to everyone at the same price, they gave no fucks if you bought 10 MPC's from them or 10000, you got it at the same wholesale price. So stuff from companies like Roland, Ensoniq/Emu, or Tascam was more expensive with us over GC because they had the buying power to get the shit much cheaper. Technically we could sell at those prices, but in doing so we wouldn't make any money on the gear and would basically break even whereas GC was still making a profit on every unit. What we had to do was pitch to the customer was that our staff was far more knowledgeable than GC's and we could always demonstrate that knowledge because most of us were active musicians, recording engineers, or DJ's whereas GC would take someone with no knowledge and stick them on the sales floor.

That's how it works. That's how Best Buy, Walmart, Guitar Center, and the like have driven many small business out of the markets.

Yea

basically

a small biz could place a $20,000 order but it'd be 100 different products

Walmart could place a $20,000 order on jus 1 specific item & get the bulk deal

The jamaican spot be hittin thats where i go consistently even though they be higher than Bob Marleys Spirit.. the time before last all the sudden all seafood in now $20😨

I have no problem paying a little more because the food is generally better. Higher price for higher quality is fair. If they're a burger spot and taste like McDonald's though, it's a problem.

I'm generally just looking for professionalism. I don't need a hookup. I knew your prices and products before I showed up. My barber shop be on some bullshit too. Door says open at 9 everyday. It may be 10:00 - 11:00 before somebody shows up. And in the middle of my cut, don't answer the phone (and not cut) or going off to talk to someone.

It’s not difficult but depending on the particular business and what you’re buying, there are certain realistic expectations you have to keep in mind

Back