Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION White Mans Burden: Ranking Eminem’s Albums

grYmes

The price of a brick goin up…
Well then, ABW loves us some Em don’t we? In honor of the white boy we love to hate and hate to love I’m gonna put out my rankings of Eminem’s solo albums from worst to best. Why? Cuz ABW has proven time and time again that y’all can’t not talk about the most polarizing MC of all time & I’m tryin to put up some thread numbers lol.

11. Revival (2017)

1717634681991.png

This is everything everyone hates about the Eminem juggernaut extravaganza magnified by 1000. The “fake deep” tracks, the rhyming with no sense of self or purpose. The songs with the wispy sounding singing girl on the hook. After Em dropped that freestyle during the 2017 BET Hip Hop Awards (which did not age well) I had low expectations for this. Boy was I proven right and then some. The production & tone felt like an album that was more suited for Kid Rock than Em… and that’s probably the biggest insult of them all for someone who despises being looked at as just another white boy leaching off rap. This shit was so bad even hardcore Em fans rejected it for the most part. Kamikaze had to drop less than 8 months later thanks to this albums failure, & remember Em was coming off a four year layoff prior. Overall this is Em’s worst album from start to finish.

Last edited:
10. Encore (2004)

1717635614584.jpeg

There are some who feel this album is better now than it was when it dropped in 2004. To those people I say eat a dick. THIS for years has held the title of Em’s worst album and for good reason. The worst Eminem is an uninspired Eminem. This is what this album was. As much shit as people wanna give his current single “Houdini”, niggas need to remember “Ass Like That” & “Just Loose It” are some trash juice singles. While there’s some glimpses of brilliance on this album… even songs like “Toy Soldiers” & “Mosh” loose its appeal once you remember the shit circumstances that led to those songs being made. This was a weed plate of an album & the first time on wax that Em showed cracks in his armor.

Last edited:
9. Infinite (1996)

1717637564824.png

I’ve always looked at Infinite as an album that doesn’t count lol. However it’s interesting to look back on to see how far Em has come as an artist. Here the Nas, G Rap & Biggie influence is heavy as fuck. This sounds like something I would have did in my late teens. Trying to find my voice & trying my best not to sound wack… all while inadvertently sounding like a clone of the greats of the day. It’s a gift & a curse. Production wise it’s nothing of real note. This album is nothing but a showcase of Em’s potential. A mid 90s relic that’s serves as his stint in the minors before he’s called up for his intro to the major leagues.

Last edited:
8. Kamikaze (2018)

1717640547974.jpeg

Call it for what it is, Em needed to drop this album if he wanted to continue to have any credibility when it came to releasing albums going forward. After the failure of Revival & subsequent disses by Machine Gun Kelly of “Wild Boy” fame, Em needed to strike back. Thus an unannounced surprise album was dropped with no promo or lead up singles. What resulted was sort of a mixed bag. There was still a bit of the bullshit Em had become infamous for, emphasized in the tragically typical Em single “Venom” from the assic movie of the same name. However mixed in was a bit of the old, aggressive Em. Taking aim at naysayers in an effort to prove he’s still got it. While this may of easily satisfied the fan base (*cough* white people*cough*), there’s still some “Pat Ewing with the Magic” vibes off this. Regardless, it gives him a solid foundation to build on in the back half of his career. Making this release more important to Em’s legacy than most people may realize.

Last edited:
10. Infinite (1996)

View attachment 1322302

I’ve always looked at Infinite as an album that doesn’t count lol. However it’s interesting to look back on to see how far Em has come as an artist. Here the Nas, G Rap & Biggie influence is heavy as fuck. This sounds like something I would have did in my late teens. Trying to find my voice & trying my best not to sound wack… all while inadvertently sounding like a clone of the greats of the day. It’s a gift & a curse. Production wise it’s nothing of real note. This album is nothing but a showcase of Em’s potential. A mid 90s relic that’s serves as his stint in the minors before he’s called up for his intro to the major leagues.
Can't speak to any other albums u reviewed so far bc haven't listened to them but this right here is on point 👍

7. Music to be Murdered By (2020)

1717643072840.png

This is the best Em effort in the last decade. That being said, the bar is set extremely low… & a one hour album of Em spitting in 2020 isn’t something I was clamoring for. Much to my surprise this was solid. Nothing mind blowing to speak of, but Em shows he’s still capable with his pen. Does this include typical Em nonsense including cringe family/relationship tracks, skits and more Ed Sheeran? Yup, so feel free to shit on that aspect. However when it’s not indulging in that bullshit Em makes the most of the improved production from Kamikaze & delivers some clever wordplay. The biggest take away from this is it came and went when it released so looking back on it feels more like discovering throwaway tapes from lost recording sessions than it does listening to a fully fleshed out album.

Last edited:
Slim Shady LP is the only one I heard all the way through.
Me 2. And maybe Marshal Mathers LP or whatever its called.

I dont think ive listened to any Em album a combined 10 times in my life. And the late 90s, early 00s was in my teens. Never liked fam. No diss, just not for me.

"He can rap though"

Lmaooo. Ok fam

@grYmes you white?

Hell naw. You don’t gotta be white to listen to these albums lol. I am in no way an Em fan boy or apologist either. Sometimes I get inspired to do series like this on ABW from time to time. I had a Jay-Z eras series a while back & a top ten albums of each year since ‘87 series years ago (I still need to finish it). In a different life I would have been a writer for XXL lol. I just love hip hop.

Everything so far has been on point. Idk if I would have included Infinite maybe just would have had that as an honorable mention.

I only heard Music to be Murdered By once so it being #8 is kinda high but I'll take your word for it.

Back