Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Whats the Scariest experience you've had on a flight?

Lou Cypher

The Tokin' White Guy
Inspired by Races flight anxiety thread.

Didnt read through it all the way so things may have been discussed already, but I know we have a handful of posters that are frequent fliers and might be able to share a story or 3. Even some of us who fly every few years might have a story.

I myself dont have anything too bad or traumatic. Once back in 2004 I was flying home from Portland, Oregon. I was high af on pain pills with my friend and the flight was pretty turbulent. We are both sitting there just nodding off but constantly being awoken by a big jerk. Out of nowhere the plane just feels like it got kicked by god underneath us and all i could feel was falling. Almost like we were in a freefall, just falling flat af. I wasnt sure if i was tripping or not but the shit lasted for a long time, i mean well into the 15-20 second range. Few people started to scream then out of nowhere we just feel this boost and the plane picking up and gaining altitude.

Was more than likely the pilots trying to find a smoother place in the air to fly on as when you are up that high the different streams of air (warm and cold) can make a big impact on what your flight experience will be like.

I have a coworker who used to be a flight attendant when she was getting out of college and she had some pretty wild stories like the planes getting hit by lightening and jets malfunctioning, but she claims that when you are flying on a commercial jet it typically had 4 engines and the plane technically only needs one of those engines to be operational when you are in the air. Needs more for takeoff but if you are in the air and 3 engines go out, as long as that 4th engine is working you can still make it to your destination. She also said that pilots are very experienced on the commercial flights more often than not, so unless something goes wrong with the controls of the plane, they can often glide the plane down safely to the ground although it would still be a horrifying thing to live through.

Said when her flight got hit by lightning didnt shit happen. Was just a loud crash and youd see this bright light all around the plane outside for a second then the plane just continued like nothing happened then the pilots got on the radio explaining what had happened.

Dont mean to increase any anxiety folks may have about flying so my bad if these stories trigger you. Just know your chances on dying in a commercial flight are incredibly slim.

The One flight that I was on felt like I was in a van, so no trouble with the flying part. The trouble was, I’ve used greyhound like 20 different times to travel the states. And you know with gray hound you gotta get your luggage at each stoping point and move it to the new bus. So when I got stopped off in Charlotte on my flight back from Jersey. I went straight to the baggage claim, which for some reason is the opposite side of the airport from the terminals. So I’m standing there for an hour and I hear on the intercom, Zachary your flight is set to leave you have 5 minutes. I freaked out and ran through that bitch like Oj in that old school commercial. I get to the gate and the chick was like why you late we held up for you. Which bugged me out even more cause greyhound and Peterpan don’t give a fuck. I told her why and she looked at me like I was filth for not knowing or expecting that quality of service. Was young, don’t remember who or what airline I was on.

Shit.....I got stories for days about this.

You want stories about turbulence?

The public?

Wife arguing with a pilot.

Shit where do I start?

Strike the last.

That wasn't scary. I found it a funny story how she checked him .

My 1st flight ever was through a horrible thunderstorm going to Chicago from Raleigh...

You couldn't see anything but lighting bolts and it was a good amount of turbulence until, we got above the storm. When we landed in Chicago it was raining hard there also.

That shit made me not stress too much about flying after that and I've flown and experienced a ton of turbulence since then. Even the super long flights to Japan and Australia I haven't had anything scarier than my 1st flight, I literally thought I was going to die

@Lou Cypher

Did that happen near Seattle? Apparently that is the worst flight you can take if you don’t like turbulence
Yeah, Portland -> Seattle

Seattle -> Anchorage

Ive flown back and forth from seattle countless times and its most definitely had its fair share of turbulent flights but ive also had some really really calm ones. I wonder if the time of year plays a part in it. I just know the air streams have a major effect but not sure if they change through the year.

Yeah, Portland -> Seattle

Seattle -> Anchorage

Ive flown back and forth from seattle countless times and its most definitely had its fair share of turbulent flights but ive also had some really really calm ones. I wonder if the time of year plays a part in it. I just know the air streams have a major effect but not sure if they change through the year.

I forgot which NFL player said every yr he checks the schedule to see if they gotta play Seattle on the road cause that flight is hell

Shit flying into Sitka during the winter is no joke. I feel some of the best commerical pilots are the ones who fly into Alaska. They fly in some of the worse weather conditions to small ass airports with poor lighting. Lol. Not to mention how damn dark it gets up there in Alaska. I guess that helps with seeing the runway because it isn't many lights overall so it's easier to spot....

1st time I flew into Anchorage was pretty interesting because the end of the runway is a cliff and it was foggy as hell so as a passenger we couldn't really see it until we were right up on it. Lol

nothing bad outside of a little turbulence

we looked for our car @ DFW airport for like 2 hours this last trip tho lmaooo

fuck their whole garage system and the colors and letters and shit.....for real they can go to hell

almost left that hoe and came back but we still had 3 hrs to drive home

fuck their whole garage system and the colors and letters and shit.....for real they can go to hell

Bruh you gotta take a pic of the sign when y’all pull up

For work at my last job they would fly me all through the state for different accounts we had.

I live in Anchorage which is Southcentral Alaska. Basically right in the center of the state along the coast. For these accounts i had to go to, they were on the southeast of Alaska on the panhandle. Only accessible by plane or boat.

That area has a tropical rainforest climate so a lot of rain and some good breezes. They do a flight thats called a puddle jumper because a lot of those areas southeast are very close together, so we would Leave Anchorage, Fly to juneau which is a little over an hour or 2 of a flight. Leave Juneau and fly 45 minutes to sitka, leave sitka and fly 45 Minutes to ketchikan, then from ketchikan the plane would fly an hour to seattle. Its a really crazy flight, but they give you a commercial jet and if youre willing to sit through it you can get cheap flights to seattle doing it haha.

So anyway my main destination was ketchikan. Pilot gets on the intercom and says we are descending into juneau. Very cloudy rainy day in the southeast and you cant see any of the land beneath us due to cloud coverage. We get into the clouds while descending then out of nowhere we break through the clouds. The plane is basically sideways with one wing pointing to the ground, one pointing to the sky because the flight path into juneau is between two gigantic mountains. Nothing bad happened but it was just terrifying to see for a first time especially because we were flying through clouds so long that I couldnt even tell the plane was turning sideways, but its a normal thing for all planes going into juneau.

So we sit on the runway swap passengers, head to sitka no issues. Fly another 45 minutes to Ketchikan and it is turbulent af. Big rain and wind storm. Pilot tells us we are going to do a couple laps in the sky and wait for the wind to die down. Ketchikans airport is on an island. All by itself and you gotta take a ferry to the mainland. Pilot starts to descend. Can feel the plane being pushed from the left then pushed from the right. Go up in the air, get pushed down towards the ground. As we get closer to the runway the plane starts leaning hard af to the right. I swear the wing looked like it was about to touch the ground. Pilot corrects it, i can feel the Back right tire hit the ground first then bounce the plane left so the back left tire hits the runway then we finally land safely and Im just sitting there white knuckle holding on to the arm rests lmao.

A few years back im on a small 50 passanger plane. Them small mfers shake alot as is.

This one time, we in the air, and out of nowhere this shit shakes so fucking hard, mfers jumping in their seats. Lights went off and back on a bunch of times. The masks dropped from the top. Shit from peoples trays fell all over. Shit was wild. If I didnt have my seatbelt on, I would have hit the ceiling and back down a few times. It shook that hard.

All I could think was damn its over. Angry as fuck at that moment like this is how its gon end for me? Thats some bullshit.

And then after like 30 seconds of that wild shit, shit calmed the fuck down.

Pilot came on the speaker like sorry for that everyone, we flew to close to another plane and the air from their engines caused that shake.

Smmfh. Everyone was heated. Rest of the flight I was paranoid as a bitch like damn Im on this flight with an ameture ass pilot and he garbage.

Bruh you gotta take a pic of the sign when y’all pull up

man im shootin a video of the walk path from the whip to the door ma nigga....and emailing it to
Obama

might mark a trail of lil tiny arrows in sharpie

For work at my last job they would fly me all through the state for different accounts we had.

I live in Anchorage which is Southcentral Alaska. Basically right in the center of the state along the coast. For these accounts i had to go to, they were on the southeast of Alaska on the panhandle. Only accessible by plane or boat.

That area has a tropical rainforest climate so a lot of rain and some good breezes. They do a flight thats called a puddle jumper because a lot of those areas southeast are very close together, so we would Leave Anchorage, Fly to juneau which is a little over an hour or 2 of a flight. Leave Juneau and fly 45 minutes to sitka, leave sitka and fly 45 Minutes to ketchikan, then from ketchikan the plane would fly an hour to seattle. Its a really crazy flight, but they give you a commercial jet and if youre willing to sit through it you can get cheap flights to seattle doing it haha.

So anyway my main destination was ketchikan. Pilot gets on the intercom and says we are descending into juneau. Very cloudy rainy day in the southeast and you cant see any of the land beneath us due to cloud coverage. We get into the clouds while descending then out of nowhere we break through the clouds. The plane is basically sideways with one wing pointing to the ground, one pointing to the sky because the flight path into juneau is between two gigantic mountains. Nothing bad happened but it was just terrifying to see for a first time especially because we were flying through clouds so long that I couldnt even tell the plane was turning sideways, but its a normal thing for all planes going into juneau.

So we sit on the runway swap passengers, head to sitka no issues. Fly another 45 minutes to Ketchikan and it is turbulent af. Big rain and wind storm. Pilot tells us we are going to do a couple laps in the sky and wait for the wind to die down. Ketchikans airport is on an island. All by itself and you gotta take a ferry to the mainland. Pilot starts to descend. Can feel the plane being pushed from the left then pushed from the right. Go up in the air, get pushed down towards the ground. As we get closer to the runway the plane starts leaning hard af to the right. I swear the wing looked like it was about to touch the ground. Pilot corrects it, i can feel the Back right tire hit the ground first then bounce the plane left so the back left tire hits the runway then we finally land safely and Im just sitting there white knuckle holding on to the arm rests lmao.
Laaawd...I'm scrolling up reading from the last post and I thought this was HWSNBN (he who shall not be named) at first

Whew chile...I'm glad it's you tho lol

Dallas got the best airport I've been to, shit was too nice

but the worst experience I had so far was prolly 15-20yrs ago flyin to Colorado w/ my mom & sis

shit was goin smooth then all of a sudden it felt like the plane jus dropped 50ft lol

Reactions: 1/2
Back