Welcome To aBlackWeb

What makes a stronger conference: Parity or 1-3 dominant teams

Which type of conference is stronger?

• 1-3 dominant teams (AFC the last 20 years)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Parity....any team can win it year-to-year (NFC last 20 years)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Mister B.

The Devil’s Greatest Advocate…..
So, me and some friends of mine are having a dispute about the last 20 years of the NFL:

They're telling me that the AFC is stronger because the Pats have basically owned that conference, with 9 AFC titles and 6 Bowls, with Peyton winning the AFC 4 times (2 rings), Ben winning twice (2 rings), and Flacco/Mahomes getting an AFC title (and SB ring) a piece.

I said the NFC is stronger because the parity there - with no team going the Bowl more than twice - and the conference basically being competitive every year, getting multiple champions like Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Foles & the Eagles, and the Gruden-coached Bucs.

Can a conference be stronger if 1-3 teams dominate it for a generation; or is a conference stronger when you have no idea who will come out on top?

So, me and some friends of mine are having a dispute about the last 20 years of the NFL:

They're telling me that the AFC is stronger because the Pats have basically owned that conference, with 9 AFC titles and 6 Bowls, with Peyton winning the AFC 4 times (2 rings), Ben winning twice (2 rings), and Flacco/Mahomes getting an AFC title (and SB ring) a piece.

I said the NFC is stronger because the parity there - with no team going the Bowl more than twice - and the conference basically being competitive every year, getting multiple champions like Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Foles & the Eagles, and the Gruden-coached Bucs.

Can a conference be stronger if 1-3 teams dominate it for a generation; or is a conference stronger when you have no idea who will come out on top?

I don't think it matters whether it's parity or consistency as far as which conference is stronger. Just how many top tier and 2nd tier teams you have. Doesn't matter if it's the same 3 teams in the top tier, or a constantly changing 3... it's 3 top teams.

Like the Pats have fallen back and the Ravens stepped up. As far as the strength of the conference goes, it doesn't matter if the Pats stayed dominant and the Ravens stayed below them, or if the Ravens become dominant and the Pats fall below them.

Back