Welcome To aBlackWeb

What kind of parent do you...

ghostdenithegawd

Yuuuuuurrrr
have to be to still bring your kid to a catholic church

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...id-rape-laws-article-1.2655010?outputType=amp

ALBANY — Not leaving it to divine chance, the state Catholic Conference has turned in recent years to some of Albany's most well-connected and influential lobby firms to help block a bill that would make it easier for child sex abuse victims to seek justice.

The Catholic Conference, headed by Timothy Cardinal Dolan, has used Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker, Patricia Lynch & Associates, Hank Sheinkopf, and Mark Behan Communications to lobby against the Child Victims Act as well as for or against other measures.

All told, the conference spent more than $2.1 million on lobbying from 2007 through the end of 2015, state records show. That does not include the conference's own internal lobbying team.

Filings show the lobbyists were retained, in part, to work on issues associated with "statute of limitations" and "timelines for commencing certain civil actions related to sex offenses." Other issues included parochial school funding and investment tax credits.

"They are willing to spend limitless money in order to basically keep bad guys from being accountable for their actions," said Melanie Blow, chief operations officer of the Stop Abuse Campaign. "I think they're doing it because they don't want to have to pay out settlements."

XSQGKNZKRI2HQ3R4OQLRVKJDRQ.jpg

Timothy Cardinal Dolan heads the state's Catholic Conference, which in recent years hired major lobby firms to block legislation designed to help child abuse victims seek justice. (James Keivom/New York Daily News)

Added Kathryn Robb, an advocate and survivor who says she was abused by her brother as a 9-year-old: "If they need to spend that much money on lobbying, clearly, then, they have some pretty big secrets to hide."

While a far cry from the millions in lobbying top special interests spend in Albany each year, advocates for child sex abuse survivors say the $2.1 million spent likely represents a worthwhile investment to the Catholic Conference if it can continue to block legislation that would eliminate the statute of limitations on child sex abuse civil cases and open a one-year window to bring lawsuits for victims who can no longer sue under current law.

The Catholic Conference has argued that opening a one-year window to revive old cases could ultimately bankrupt the Church.

The firms the Catholic Conference chose is also telling.

7LAKFIQITWMCPFP2S4GYQAT3SY.jpg

Melanie Blow, chief operations officer of the Stop Abuse Campaign, says the Catholic Conference is paying lobby firms because they want to avoid settlements for lawsuits. (Jefferson Siegel/New York Daily News)

Wilson Elser has long been Albany's biggest lobbying firm. The firm represented the Catholic Conference from at least 2007 through the end of 2015 and was paid more than $1 million during that time, according to online filings with the state Joint Commission on Public Ethics.

After several key people either left the firm or reduced their responsibilities, the Church did not renew the contract with Wilson Elser for 2016, sources said.

Wilson Elser, which was being paid $10,000 a month by the Catholic Conference, had no comment.

In its place, state records show, the Catholic Conference hired another prominent firm, Greenberg Traurig, which it is paying $6,000-a-month. The lobbyist from the firm representing the Church is Michael Murphy, who used to be an assistant counsel for the Senate Republicans.

Without reading: Some catholic parents still are in firm belief that none of this has happen and cant happen in their community or church.
My great grandmother is cath and i know some of the congregation from over the year they cool.. but shit i aint ever stay for no counseling or anything of the let me talk with you alone situations either!

As I've gotten older, I've grown to doubt people are really that oblivious. People are not that stupid I've found. I suspect that folks that repeat or continue to participate with certain things are aware. Aware and cooperating with the questionable elements around them.

Sorry to point out but all religious sectors are a business first...hate it or love it .. truth is there

Bruh, this in an opinion more than it is a truth. Not all churches operate that way, as a lot of them can barely afford to keep the lights on. You don't get down with religion, cool. At the same time, it would seem like you would be less informed about the situation as a person who doesn't get down with it (religion). There's good and bad in all things, even churches.

They’re the kind of parents whose faith is unable to be shakened which enables them to ignore everything else.

“It’s my church. I’ve known these ppl. They would never. God will protect. We are a family.”

Bruh, this in an opinion more than it is a truth. Not all churches operate that way, as a lot of them can barely afford to keep the lights on. You don't get down with religion, cool. At the same time, it would seem like you would be less informed about the situation as a person who doesn't get down with it (religion). There's good and bad in all things, even churches.

The only churches that are ran like business are your mega churches. Sure, there may be some illegal shit in some smaller churches, there’s corruption everywhere, but a lot of these smaller churches struggle while still providing for their members.

Often times, what the church goers don’t see is the people in the back who are having bills paid and food given to them.

i never said i dont get down with religion. I have a very good belief and faith in the lord.
that was solely my opinion and from the views that i have seen. its not all churches nor all pastors so i do apologize for categorizing the religion as a whole.

i never said i dont get down with religion. I have a very good belief and faith in the lord.
that was solely my opinion and from the views that i have seen. its not all churches nor all pastors so i do apologize for categorizing the religion as a whole.

I apologize and respect your spiritual walk. These black eyes on church, religion put me in defense mode. It's already heard trying to do the right thing, then spread the wisdom to family, then these things pop up to cast a big net over anyone closely tied to churches. Let me fall back. The social and religous landscape has me tense.

I apologize and respect your spiritual walk. These black eyes on church, religion put me in defense mode. It's already heard trying to do the right thing, then spread the wisdom to family, then these things pop up to cast a big net over anyone closely tied to churches. Let me fall back. The social and religous landscape has me tense.
My pops a minister so believe me. He aint like the bad folks he trying to get his own church and do the things right and not relying on a congregation to fill pockets. I have been in situations where ive seen and I can agree it does strain how you view religions.

Usually I try to stay away from these convos!

agree with the premise but this question could be asked about many other/venues/situation/ people but we will never ask those questions..

A lot of folks are more afraid of goin to hell than actually believing in a god(s)

hedging their bets on sum jus in case shit lol

religion is big business tho

I've seen lil one room shack churches expand to compounds.. pastor swervin in a Porsche & shit lol

I kno it's not all, but it's enough

Back