Welcome To aBlackWeb

What if Artist began hosting PPV events for concerts?

I wouldn't pay for a pay per view, but I'd buy the DVD at a reasonable price (used for $5)

Incidentally, back in 1990 there was a pay per view event called Rapmania. The object was to get all of the popular artists together for a mega concert. One stage was in New York at the Apollo Theatre and the other stage was in LA.

Everybody was there; The Sugarhill Gang, Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, Eric B & Rakim, LL Cool J, Slick Rick and the list goes on.

Eventually MTV aired the performances and packaged it into a double VHS tape.

If you go on youtube you could probably find some performances from Rapmania.

If they dope like the tiny desk joints. Or like the Jz or Lauryn Hill unplugged joints.
yeah, there'd have to be a level of quality and uniqueness for it to be worth it. It couldn't just be a professional recording of a concert, it'd need a little more

Maybe a cable channel that has rare interviews and freestyles. But that's basically Youtube.

If you could make a cable channel to Hip Hop what ESPN is to football you could get people to pay an extra $10/month for that channel.

You'd have to have behind the scenes footage of artists in the studio, on the tour bus, live performances, unreleased videos that you can't get on the internet. Basically what MTV was in the 80s.

Now that I think about it, you could have more than one channel.

1. Channel for new artists. When I say new, I mean 1st album new. Not J Cole, Kendrick or Drake "new" Those guys have been around for 10 years. I remember when I was in high school, Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC were ancient but they were really only 5-10 years older than the current generation (Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, EPMD, NWA etc.). I'm guessing that 14 and 15 year olds feel the same way. They probably consider J Cole, Kendrick and Drake "old school".

2. A channel for "recurrent" artists. Meaning; they're on their 3rd, 4th or 5th album and they're still hot. Like Kendrick, J Cole and Drake.

3. A channel for old heads Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Public Enemy, 2Pac & Biggie

MTV and BET have channels like this, but the way they are programmed, they mix new artists with recurrent artists, and they mix recurrent artists with old school artists. The idea I have is like if you've been around more than 6 months then you can't get on channel 1.

doesn't necessarily have to be PPV. Paid content, exclusive content, etc.

YouTube & the fire stick would make any attempts for a paid service for hip hop performances a fruitless venture. It’s already being done on places like Apple Music and Tidal & that covers all genres. It would take some serious backing and some next level content and even then...many have already made their own shows and taken advantage without the big corporate middle man.

It would have to be unique and not just a artist up there rapping on stage. For example. Kendrick celebrating the 10 year anniversary of GKMC and performing the album in order. Each song has it's own stage set to match the specific scene of the song. For example, "Good kid" would show Kendrick rapping while, getting his ass stomped by cops and gang members and "art of peer pressure" would start w k.dot rapping w his friends in a car and then Kendrick rapping while his friends perform a B&E on stage.

Back