Welcome To aBlackWeb

What Are The Top 15 MOST IMPORTANT Hip Hop Songs?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I'm not asking for your personal favorites. I'm asking for the most important songs.

For example, you might like a song by some random underground cat, but it's not an important record in the grand scheme of things. In other words, some songs changed the entire landscape, while other songs are just personal favorites.

(originally I tried to do a top 10, but it was impossible)

1. Rappers Delight
2. The Message
3. Planet Rock
4. Sucker MCs
5. South Bronx
6. Bring The Noise
7. Boys In The Hood (Remix)
8. The Symphony
9. One More Chance (Remix)
10. Hit Em Up
11. Ether
12. Lose Yourself
13. Summertime
14. Hard Knock Life
15. Nuthin But A G Thing

No honorable mentions

I'm not asking for your personal favorites. I'm asking for the most important songs.

For example, you might like a song by some random underground cat, but it's not an important record in the grand scheme of things. In other words, some songs changed the entire landscape, while other songs are just personal favorites.

1. Rappers Delight
2. The Message
3. Planet Rock
4. Sucker MCs
5. South Bronx
6. Bring The Noise
8. The Symphony
10. Hit Em Up
11. Ether
12. Lose Yourself
13. Summertime
14. Hard Knock Life
15. Nuthin But A G Thing

No honorable mentions

I'll try to drop my list some time tonight with reasons why they're chosen.

1. Rappers Delight
2. The Message
3. Planet Rock
4. Sucker MCs
5. South Bronx
6. Bring The Noise
8. The Symphony
10. Hit Em Up
11. Ether
12. Lose Yourself
13. Summertime
14. Hard Knock Life
15. Nuthin But A G Thing

No honorable mentions

Your list has a very glaring omission

"Paid In Full"

Why? That one song, and the album of the same name, completely changed the way rappers spit permanently. No more simple rhymes, no more "yes yes y'all", no more of anything that came before it. "Paid In Full" was the reason every MC before it struggled during the "golden age" of Hip Hop if they didn't at least try to change. Kool Moe D managed for a time, Run DMC stepped their game up, but that's about it.

That song birthed a movement of ill wordplay still being felt today. It needs to be in the top 3.

Your list has a very glaring omission

"Paid In Full"

Why? That one song, and the album of the same name, completely changed the way rappers spit permanently. No more simple rhymes, no more "yes yes y'all", no more of anything that came before it. "Paid In Full" was the reason every MC before it struggled during the "golden age" of Hip Hop if they didn't at least try to change. Kool Moe D managed for a time, Run DMC stepped their game up, but that's about it.

That song birthed a movement of ill wordplay still being felt today. It needs to be in the top 3.

Man, I tried to narrow it down to 15 songs. Obviously some songs got left out.

We should use this thread to come up with a definitive top 15 most influential songs. The songs that get the most mentions get ranked accordingly.

I would argue "Crank Dat" had a more detrimental effect because it opened the door for Laffy Taffy.

nah it was the other way around. Laffy taffy came before crank dat.

Crank dat came a year after nas dropped hip hop is dead.

Laffy taffy came around the crunk era and I remember it specifically cuz I was traveling around that time and it was an international confusion to how tf that trash song made it to the airwaves/tv

To be honest Lil Jon opened up the floodgates for Laffy Taffy and songs of that ilk.

Get low should be somewhere in this list.

the song had a huge impact on where hip hop was headed to the point almost every comedian mentioned it in their standup.

Also was prolly the biggest song out the early 2000s south take over and signified how music sounds today.

That one song did that.

nah it was the other way around. Laffy taffy came before crank dat.

Crank dat came a year after nas dropped hip hop is dead.

Laffy taffy came around the crunk era and I remember it specifically cuz I was traveling around that time and it was an international confusion to how tf that trash song made it to the airwaves/tv

I swear somebody playing around with The Matrix.

I remember Laffy Taffy coming out in '06 and all of us on the old Arizona Beats message board (including radio DJ Karlie Hustle) clowned it hard BUT I also remember us comparing it to Crank That back then as to which was worse.

We should use this thread to come up with a definitive top 15 most influential songs. The songs that get the most mentions get ranked accordingly.

Good idea.

That means every poster should repeat songs that already got mentioned if they feel the song deserves it.

Back