Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Tips on buying a used car

only read the first page but why wasn't "dont buy from a dealership" on the 1st page? what a waste of money.

private sellers and paying in cash >>>>

only read the first page but why wasn't "dont buy from a dealership" on the 1st page? what a waste of money.

private sellers and paying in cash >>>>
Maybe it aint on the first page cause you didn't post it until the third page.........Now tell us why buying from a dealership is a waste of money
You can't pay cash at a dealership?..... I did

Last edited:
Maybe it aint on the first page cause you didn't post it until the third page.........Now tell us why buying from a dealership is a waste of money
You can't pay cash at a dealership?..... I did
anytime i've ever been looking for a car the dealer is always charging more, way more. last time i bought a car i got a '04 Monte Carlo with 40k miles, was garaged every summer, cash, from this old private seller. it was just around KBB value.

dealers want 9k for a '06 Pontiac G6 with over 100k miles.

If you know a lil something about cars or have someone you trust who does, I'd recommend a public auction for used cars.

They usually release the list of cars before hand (VIN as well) so you can do your research. And make sure you check the car and engine out before you bid. You can really find a steal.

I just got a clean 2001 Infiniti I30 with less than 90k for $1100. Got an offer for $2500 so I'm thinking about flipping it.

If you know a lil something about cars or have someone you trust who does, I'd recommend a public auction for used cars.

They usually release the list of cars before hand (VIN as well) so you can do your research. And make sure you check the car and engine out before you bid. You can really find a steal.

I just got a clean 2001 Infiniti I30 with less than 90k for $1100. Got an offer for $2500 so I'm thinking about flipping it.
Do you have to have a license to buy cars at auctions?

Do you have to have a license to buy cars at auctions?

@MzKB Where I live there are 2 auctions open to the public in a reasonable distance. Its mostly dealership trade ins up for sale. I would just search if there are any in your area.

Anyone got tips on how to haggle the price on NEW cars?

Like how low CAN they go (below MSRP or invoice prices)

I hate these car salemen

About to go to dealer tonight

Lookin at a GMC Acadia SLE

MSRP is about 37k

GMC rebate going on now so dealer price is 32k

Typed in the car info on cargurus and it says its worth about 31k w/ private sale value of about 29k

Im thinking about telling the dealer i wanna pay 29k and hopefully they agree on 30

About to go to dealer tonight

Lookin at a GMC Acadia SLE

MSRP is about 37k

GMC rebate going on now so dealer price is 32k

Typed in the car info on cargurus and it says its worth about 31k w/ private sale value of about 29k

Im thinking about telling the dealer i wanna pay 29k and hopefully they agree on 30

No set rule but they will only go as low as they HAVE to go based on what their competitors are willing to do. Pure capitalism. Get pricing from as many dealers that are within a reasonable driving distance (5-6 hr drive) and see what that gets you.

Do your research on the cars you are thinking of buying, as certain cars are known for having certain issues, whether it be gear boxes, turbos, suspension troubles etc then you know more specifically what to look for when you decide on the car you want...

But also:

Check to see the servicing history...

Check the history full stop, has it been reported stolen etc... Also in the UK (not sure about america) you could end up buying a car that has outstanding finance on it, so you could potentially end up having that debt transferred to you and leave you out of pocket or I think even having the car repossessed...

Check to see if it has any warranty left on it...

Has the car been exposed to salt??? i.e lived on the coast, if so look for rust...

Has it been used mainly for motorway/highway driving or for driving around town, if its been used mainly for highway then I would say chances are its taken alot less punishment...

Was it a smokers car??? Check the cigaret lighter if its got one...

Hey there, folks. Came across this thread and wanted to revive it with my 2 cents. Long story short, I moved to the US 2 months ago. So, I'm currently thinking of getting a car. How is it made in the US, and in what state do you recommend buying a car?

Back