Welcome To aBlackWeb

Thoughts on this kids being suspended for their hair?

Unfortunately the Charter might win this one based off the fact the parents knew the policy

BUT

doesn't mean that muthafuccin policy doesn't need to change. A hairstyle does NOT dictate how smart a child or adult is. Exhibit A...

Screenshot_20170515-235903.jpg

suspect rule but I hope those girls use yarn braids instead.

tumblr_mqnr9g7nge1qilhrzo1_500.jpg

same effect but they can't say shit to that, cuz yarn aint hair.

Policy said no colors that stand out or that will draw attentioin smh
when there are natural bright ass redheads on this earth smh.

I think it's pointless when schools do things like this. one of the 1s I went to did that, we just ignored it but nowadays they be suspendin kids over it. wrong focus.

So I was reading the article and then I got to the part where someone referred to black people as colored people. I know we have gone by several variations but colored people?

So I was reading the article and then I got to the part where someone referred to black people as colored people. I know we have gone by several variations but colored people?
Mass is something else, I been called worse than colored there

Ok. Clearly I disagree with anything that restricts a person based on their hair. I wonder how they would feel if it was an Indian(Asian) in a turbin?

Yea I think charter school are ran differently than normal schools and have their own set of rules. Their rules seem to definitely target AA children, but they knew that when they signed up.
unfortunately this....

They can braid their real hair, that's not against the rules, so that's what they should do. Or they can go to a different school and wear fake hair. Their choice.

They can braid their real hair, that's not against the rules, so that's what they should do. Or they can go to a different school and wear fake hair. Their choice.
Suppose they had locs. Would they consider them a distraction and forbid them? I agree that they read the standard before they attended and if you want to comply with their rules you have to it is just what is considered a distraction when it comes to hair.

Suppose they had locs. Would they consider them a distraction and forbid them? I agree that they read the standard before they attended and if you want to comply with their rules you have to it is just what is considered a distraction when it comes to hair.
Idk what they consider a distraction, but if locs are against the rules then they shouldn't wear them. It isn't right, but they don't have to go to that school either. Most schools don't have hair policies like that. I know mine doesn't. We have boys that come with green and blue spray painted hair, girls wearing long braids and various color extensions. We don't care. But it's not our policy to care. Parents should be aware of such policies, and if they're not going to follow them, don't go to that school.

Idk what they consider a distraction, but if locs are against the rules then they shouldn't wear them. It isn't right, but they don't have to go to that school either. Most schools don't have hair policies like that. I know mine doesn't. We have boys that come with green and blue spray painted hair, girls wearing long braids and various color extensions. We don't care. But it's not our policy to care. Parents should be aware of such policies, and if they're not going to follow them, don't go to that school.
but locs are linked to the rastafari faith @ times n certain hairstyles r linked to culture or religion. if they barred kids from having hair past ass length, they might be discriminating against kids from sikh families who don't cut their hair for spiritual reasons. a rule against locs or hair length wld be in violation of the right to practice spirituality or culture.

I
I agree if they are specific. But if it is something about length then that is subjective and can be interpreted differently. I would not have sent my child there to begin with but that was their choice.

but locs are linked to the rastafari faith @ times n certain hairstyles r linked to culture or religion. if they barred kids from having hair past ass length, they might be discriminating against kids from sikh families who don't cut their hair for spiritual reasons. a rule against locs or hair length wld be in violation of the right to practice spirituality or culture.
One of the schools we looke at for my son has a rule against head gear (hats) I asked if my son could wear a turbin and they said that is not a problem as long as he doesn't take it off during the day. Now his hair is no where near long enough currently to make a difference but when and if the time comes we will deal with it.

Back