Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Zone of Interest

Oblivious Zone

PRAISE: This film about The commandant of Auschwitz, Rudolf Höss, and his wife, Hedwig, striving to build a dream life for their family in a house and garden next to the camp is right up there with any other harrowing film,book graphic novel and documentary about The Holocaust I've ever watched or read.
Sandra Hüller,has the standout performance as Hedwig. She tries to be as oblivious as she can be as she indulges in the pleasures of her home even though horrific things are happening right next door. But in one telling scene visually you can see that she knows her casual attitude about everything happening around her is wrong. Her husband Rudolf (
Christian Friedel) is no better in a stunning and unnerving scene in which he talks about killing people to her as if he's making up a shopping list. There are several standout moments like this but what director Jonathan Glazer puts together visually easily surpasses what is said by the people in the film. Even what he does audibly rattled my nerves. What Hitler ingrained into the hearts and minds of those he deemed superior is definitely brought out in the film. Even when speaking of people that the characters were once associated with but are now in the concentration camp are easily dismissed. I encourage everyone to read the story behind the characters in the film because it's very interesting. Sobering imagery right down to the last frame.

PROBLEMS: There is some foreshadowing in the film that I truly wish had played out in the film. The film definitely has a bit of a slow pace here and there.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Back