Welcome To aBlackWeb

Added to Calendar: 06-07-24

MoeW

1710625984969.jpeg

1717694328323.png

From producer M. Night Shyamalan comes “The Watchers,” written and directed by Ishana Night Shyamalan and based on the novel by A.M. Shine. The film follows Mina, a 28-year-old artist, who gets stranded in an expansive, untouched forest in western Ireland. When Mina finds shelter, she unknowingly becomes trapped alongside three strangers who are watched and stalked by mysterious creatures each night.You can’t see them, but they see everything.​

Woods Weirdness

PRAISE: ♪♫ I always feel like somebody's watching me♪♫
The movie starts off well enough with an off balance woman named Mina (Dakota Fanning) who takes a simple bird delivery trip but finds herself right in the middle of the woods and in something very mysterious. Following in the footsteps of her father director and writer M Night Shyamalan,Ishana Shyamalan directs this story that pulled me in mainly because of trying to figure out how and why things are happening. Fanning does well as Mina trying to figure out just what is going on as the audience is. I liked that she didn't want to sit around and play along like the other three characters housed behind a glass window in the woods.As Madeleine Olwen Fouere is always a welcome unflinching presence.Theres also Ciara (Georgina Campbell) and Daniel (Oliver Finnegan) who are jittery and seemingly in a trance.
Shyamalan provides some cold and creepy moments. Several scenes standout visually as the story unfolds and I think that they're the most effective scenes in the movie, actually made me think of Guillermo del Toro SFX and practical effects work. Ishana has that similar eye and I'm hopeful to see what she does next with it.

PROBLEMS: The plot holes disrupt a lot of the good things about the movie. I even sat there trying to rationalize about why certain actions weren't taking by a character because it would have been the most logical thing to do. Even the excuse i came up with was washed away. Sure I can also give the movie the excuse that they had budget limitations but there should have been a lot more in the setting in which the movie is placed. The movie aims to be multiple things but in the end it just becomes jumbled.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4

Back