Welcome To aBlackWeb

The ugly truth about the United States’s teacher shortage….

Mister B.

The Devil’s Greatest Advocate…..

While you may have heard about the teacher shortages, you may not realize just how severely understaffed some states really are. The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) projects there will be a demand for approximately 300,000 new teachers nationwide and a supply of just over 100,000 by 2024.

About 76 percent of public school teachers were female and 24 percent were male in 2017–18, with a lower percentage of male teachers at the elementary school level (11 percent) than at the secondary school level (36 percent).

In 2017–18, about 79 percent of public school teachers were White, 9 percent were Hispanic, 7 percent were Black, 2 percent were Asian, 2 percent were of Two or more races, and 1 percent were American Indian/Alaska Native; additionally, those who were Pacific Islander made up less than 1 percent of public school teachers. The percentage of public school teachers who were White and the percentage who were Black were lower in 2017–18 than in 1999–2000, when 84 percent were White and 8 percent were Black.2 In contrast, the percentage who were Hispanic was higher in 2017–18 than in 1999–2000, when 6 percent were Hispanic.

Black men make up only two percent(link is external) of the country’s teaching force, but their presence in the classroom is shown to improve outcomes for students. A 2017 study(link is external) by the Institute of Labor Economics found that low-income Black students who have a Black teacher—man or woman—for at least one year in elementary school are less likely to drop out of high school and more likely to consider college.

One fact is they dont get paid enough to put up with some of these kids and some parents not caring. After a while, some teachers just get burned out.

I had a date last month with a women who was a teacher for 8yrs. She got burned out by the politics, red tape, low pay and some parents.

Talked to another woman who was looking to get out of the teaching career. This would be her last year. She was burned out for similar reasons.

I don't know. We pay 80% of costs to teachers and admin here in CA. The money is constantly wasted, and then it's "we need more money again".

Private school teachers make less than public school, so how are private school educations typically better

Wasting it how?

First and foremost, ALL teachers’ salaries should start at 70,000, regardless of where you live.

Secondly, resources are nowhere near equal from sector to sector. Private schools have damn near endless resources. Public schools in heavily urban area scrape by for shit like copying paper. Shit is scust.

First and foremost, ALL teachers’ salaries should start at 70,000, regardless of where you live.

Secondly, resources are nowhere near equal from sector to sector. Private schools have damn near endless resources. Public schools in heavily urban area scrape by for shit like copying paper. Shit is scust.

Need to find a better way to fund schools than real estate taxes.

The way it is now, in terms of public schools, kids who live in the best neighborhoods get the best education.

What do you teach and do you like your job?

If you don’t mind me asking.

Me, personally, I can NOT tolerate other people’s kids.

I teach 6th grade Math w/Special Ed.

It's not that bad. At least the administration in this school actually listens to the staff when stuff comes up. This school really values the whole “family” mentality for the staff, and do outings, staff culture, all that stuff.

Last edited:

Im pretty sure this on purpose. More well off people taking resources out of the school district by avoiding certain public schools

I definitely wouldn't want to be a high school teacher. You got kids out there attacking teachers, and these days teachers can be demonized for simply defending themselves like they are just supposed to let a kid that might be their size wail on them without any response.

Back