Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Top 5 Discussion

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
All we do is debate who is or isn't top 5.

But something occurred to me in the Kendrick thread: theres probably 10x more rappers now than there were in 1999 (20 years ago)

When I was in high school there was Rakim, Krs, LL Cool J, and depending on your taste you might pick Melle Mel, Kool G Rap, Ice Cube, Brother J, or Kool Moe Dee.

Then the 90s happened. The 90s gave us Pac, Jay, Nas., and Big. Also DMX.

You see where I'm going?

Every decade produces 5-10 people that are worthy of being top 5.

When I was in high school there were only 7 or 8 names in the discussion. Now it seems like theres 20-25 names in the discussion..

I disagree that every decade produces top 5 contenders and there is absolutely no metric/variable/criterion that puts K Dot top 5.

That said, nuff of them 80s niggas you like are objectively not as good at rappin' as niggas who came after them.

Well we can agree to disagree but my point is that there are more names in the discussion.

I can see how a 15 year old would say Kendrick is top 5, or the Goat. Likewise I can see why the same 15 year old doesn't listen to Pac and Biggie nor care about their beef that happened 20+ years ago.

Btw, the metric/variable/criterion that puts K Dot in the top 5 is that he has Two classics, some good features and that Control Freestyle.

Doesn't seem like much, but if you're 15 he's been the hottest MC as far as you can remember.

Back