Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official Loc Thread

I asked about them at the african shop I take my son to for his dreads and she said I would have to 2 strand twist and 'maybe set them for a while and try because my hair is really curly. I am not sure if that is true or not. lol.
Your hair is really similar to my mom, and they told her the same thing

Don't let them out that black grease in your sons hair

Your hair is really similar to my mom, and they told her the same thing

Don't let them out that black grease in your sons hair

you said don't let them put black grease in his hair? They don't use nothing black .. what is it?

I often wonder how I would look with dreads?!? Most people have told me it would take while to get them to lock cuz my hair is so fine... I really wanna try them on my son

Took about a year for mine to loc, with that said, I was practically bald when I started. I assume it'll take a chick with somewhat long hair about 6 months or so to loc if she freeformed. If you're getting it twisted then it should lock pretty quick.

I asked about them at the african shop I take my son to for his dreads and she said I would have to 2 strand twist and 'maybe set them for a while and try because my hair is really curly. I am not sure if that is true or not. lol.
It is not true. The problem is people use unnatural things for lack of a better term to start their locs.

It is not true. The problem is people use unnatural things for lack of a better term to start their locs.

I need you and @Race Jones to school me on the what nots, because i'm dead @$$ about to go to the shop when I get home this weekend.
I didn't know it was all super technical, i'm just tired of doing ish to my hair man. I don't do weave and wigs or what not. (no diss) it just aint for me. So.. what do I look for and/or avoid.

I need you and @Race Jones to school me on the what nots, because i'm dead @$$ about to go to the shop when I get home this weekend.
I didn't know it was all super technical, i'm just tired of doing ish to my hair man. I don't do weave and wigs or what not. (no diss) it just aint for me. So.. what do I look for and/or avoid.

YAYYYYYYY REESEY!!!!
WELCOME and I know you will look ahmazing with locs!!

can you show me a picture of your hair? I think we have the same grade of hair.

First make sure you want to start the journey because it is not easy especially if you like to change things a lot. You will just end up cutting your hair off but we will talk more in the thread when it is started.

Wasn't sure which section to put this in so I'll leave it here for now.

If you have locs or planning to grow locs share your thoughts here.

I currently have freeform locs. Been growing them for about a year and a half , maybe alil more.

I know acouple chicks on here are wondering about the process of growing freeform locs so I'll post a few videos of journeys I've seen youtube of females growing freeform locs.

I'll post info for the fellas that are interested in growing freeform locs later in this thread.

Last edited:
I have regular twisted locs. Been growing them for 4 years. They went from 2-3 inch coils, to past my collar bone in that time.
Can't imagine not having them

I often wonder how I would look with dreads?!? Most people have told me it would take while to get them to lock cuz my hair is so fine... I really wanna try them on my son

I want them too but this is my issue

Just got a call back from a small wealth management company about an accounting position. Got an interview tomorrow.

Good luck!
I still hate you tho

I am about 15 years in. That is a filtered picture in my avatar but that is me. My locs were started with plants and I mainly uses plant based products with no chemicals in my hair.

Back