Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Kool & The Gang Appreciation Thread

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
In the Top 10 R&B groups thread I was the only one that voted for them.

I'm going to post a few joints that ya'll might recognize the sample

Word is bond, I'm ready to spend the whole day arguing that Kool & The Gang is a top 3 R&B group along with Earth Wind & Fire and Parliament-Funkadelic. Their first album came out in 1969 and they had top 40 hits all the way into the mid 80s.

Also, I like The Last Poets, but I cant understand why people wouldn't list them in their top 10 list.

Having said that, Jalal Nurridin from the Last Poets collaborated with Kool & The Gang on the Hustler's Convention album. Track 1, Sport features Kool & The Gang playing the background music. Considering Hustler's Convention and the sheer number of songs by Kool & The Gang that have been sampled, it could be argued that Kool & The Gang are one of the pillars of Hip Hop, along with James Brown & the J.Bs.

I was super close to putting them in my top 10, but I gave the edge to the stylistics.

I was super close to putting them in my top 10, but I gave the edge to the stylistics.

It's not too late to change your vote. Kool & The Gang shits violent diarrhea all over The Stylistics. Kool & The Gang were around longer, have more hits and write and produce their own material.

It's not too late to change your vote. Kool & The Gang shits violent diarrhea all over The Stylistics. Kool & The Gang were around longer, have more hits and write and produce their own material.

Nah, Kool's top 5 songs ain't fuckin with the stylistics top 5.

These shit's have been remade a million times

Nah, Kool's top 5 songs ain't fuckin with the stylistics top 5.

These shit's have been remade a million times

Don't make a fool of yourself. The songs I posted in the O/P were written, produced by Kool & The Gang and they played all the instruments.

The Stylistics were a boy band that peaked for about 5 years.

The writing and playing instruments part is an added bonus, but I mainly care about who's music is better and the stylistics made better music

I guess one way to determine who's better between The Stylistics vs Kool & The Gang is to list their top 10 80s hits

1. Celebration -#1 Pop/#1 R&B
  2. Joanna - #2 Pop/#1 R&B
  3. Big Fun #21 Pop/#6 R&B
  4. Get Down On It #10 Pop/#4 R&B
  5. Let's Go Dancing #30 Pop/ #7 R&B
  6. Fresh #9 Pop/#1 R&B
  7. Misled #10 Pop/#3 R&B
  8. Cherish #2 Pop/ #1 R&B
  9. Take My Heart #17 Pop/#1 R&B
  10. Victory #10 Pop/#2 R&B

Joanna

Fresh

Cherish

Misled

Big Fun

Lets Go Dancing

Get Down On It

Take My Heart

Victory

If that doesn't work we can compare their 70s hits

Make it a poll :js4:

I made the poll, but as you and I both know, sometimes people vote wrong.

Here's the bottom line; Kool & The Gang have a Greatest hits album that covers their hits from 1969-1976. Then they have another Greatest hits album that covers their hits from 1979-1987. I doubt you could make a double CD of The Stylistics Greatest Hits.

R-601160-1421760333-6975.jpeg.jpg

R-601160-1421760333-2059.jpeg.jpg

R-701262-1274617321.jpeg.jpg

R-701262-1274617340.jpeg.jpg

U make a great point. It's close, I'm not mad at either winning the poll. I heard stylistics in the house more so that's probably why i'm edging to them. But I can see why people say Kool is better.

As Good As That Falsetto Is I'm Going With Kool And The Gang

They IMO Are Better Musically And More Versatile

They Made Shit For The Sheets And The Streets

Back