Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Ice Cube Appreciation Thread

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I've noticed that Cube doesn't get the respect that I feel he deserves.

1. First of all, he basically invented gangsta rap, which was DEVASTATING TO THE EAR when it came out. Listen to PSK, 6 In The Morning, and 9MM Goes Bang and then listen to the song Straight Outta Compton. Part of the appeal was the beats, for which Dr Dre gets props, but he (co)wrote Eazy's rhymes and his own rhymes. Eazy's first album came out in the fall of 88, when I was a sophomore in high school. Straight Outta Compton came out a couple of months after iirc.

(on a side note, Three Feet High & Rising came out a month or so after Straight Outta Compton so both albums were out at the same time and they were polar opposites. NWA was in your face, violent and hardcore. De La Soul was more laid back and down to Earth. When it's all said and done, both albums are 5 mic classics for different reasons)

2. When he left NWA, he dropped his first solo album in the same summer (89) as 100 Miles & Runnin, No One Can Do It Better, Unfinished Business, Fear Of A Black Planet, Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop and Youngest In Charge. Point being there was alot of albums to compare to Amerikkkas Most Wanted. He had the Bomb Squad production, which was comparable to Fear Of A Black Planet which was out at the same time. But in my opinion he was a better "songwriter" than his competition. Meaning, he would think of a concept and write a coherent song about that one topic, rather than just bragging about being the best MC with the best flow.

3. People say he's not nice on the mic, meaning he doesn't spit fire like Nas or Black Thought. In my opinion Cube's strongest suit was his ability to write a coherent song/storytelling about an actual topic without losing the listener with double entendres and wordplay. Rather than spit lyrical/miracle he was more cat/hat/fat. But the difference is his subject matter. He was talking about things that other rappers were scared to address (e.g. Black Korea).

4. He dropped a series of albums from 1990-1993. He was probably the most popular Rapper/MC during those years. Every album had a buzz and people talked about him (in Massachusetts) and he'd get the cover of The Source whenever his album was out. The general consensus was that Cube talked about things that everybody else was scared to say, kinda like how Eminem was controversial dissing Gays, Cube was controversial dissing white people, koreans and jews. Also he was considered misogynistic. Most rappers were considered misogynistic but Cube was the biggest selling "legitimate" rapper. I mean Kriss Kross sold 5X platinum during Cube's reign but we didn't consider them real rappers. Same with Hammer.

So yeah, if you listen to Cube's early 90s albums you might say, "he's not nice". But he was writing coherent songs about real topics. He was actually doing what 2Pac was doing before 2Pac. Seems like Pac took what Cube was doing and ran with it. But Cube was that controversial rapper after KRS and Public Enemy but before 2Pac.

I was JUST about to make a Lil Wayne appreciate thread, now it's gonna look like I'm biting lol Mine was gonna be more of a full breakdown of his career tho so it's cool.

But yea, fuck Cube. Nigga just got ranked #6 of alltime on here which is fuckin ridiculous but you're saying he doesn't get enough respect on here?

I was JUST about to make a Lil Wayne appreciate thread, now it's gonna look like I'm biting lol Mine was gonna be more of a full breakdown of his career tho so it's cool.

But yea, fuck Cube. Nigga just got ranked #6 of alltime on here which is fuckin ridiculous but you're saying he doesn't get enough respect on here?

You're the owner of the site and you just said, "Fuck Cube" in one breath and in the next breath you say he got ranked #6.

Obviously people have mixed feelings

I'm just talkin shit fam. I fuck with Cube, he's just extremely over-rated on here.

Same with Lupe, little do a lot of niggas know, I was a super Lupe fan during his FnF days.

Niggaz on here just prefer the backpack, underground, rappity, scoopity, poopity, dictionary, fancy metaphor/punchline, multisyllable, double/triple entendre type sound from these niggaz lol. And when they rap like that they do it with no meaning half the time. That's why they praise Lupe and Nas so much among others.

The problem with these niggaz I have is they come off boring as fuck like Cole and they beats be ass half the time. You gotta be in the mood to listen to these niggaz that's why I ride to Pac, Big, Wayne, and Jay alot. You have to sit down and really listen to that headphone rap and try to learn something if that's what you into lol.

Like Mural for example. This nigga Lupe dropped some confusing ass shit on purpose for like 8 minutes and I guarantee niggaz rewinded that shit like 100 times and still don't know the meaning behind that song but thought it was so incredible lol.

"Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice/It just means you don't understand all the bullshit that he write" haha this nigga Hov

Your top 5
Pac
Joe Budden
Wayne
Drake
Snoop Dogg

I made a mistake. Amerikkkas Most Wanted didn't come out in the summer of 89. It came out in the summer of 90, which was the same summer as Fear Of A Black Planet, Edutainment, Let The Rhythm Hit Em

100 Miles & Runnin came out the same summer as Amerikkas Most Wanted.

Special Ed, A Tribe Called Quest, and X Clan had albums that summer too.

If you're not familiar with X Clan, check out some songs from To The East Blackwards (In The Ways Of The Scales, Grand Verbaliser, Raise The Flag, Tribal Jam). The lead rapper from X Clan, Brother J, was afrocentric and his lyrics mixed Yoruba with Egyptian Mythology. Brother J was the first MC to take it to that level, and he was NICE. HE COULD SPIT FIRE!!! But the problem was that he was too abstract, Cube was more of a regular guy from the hood. Thats why he appealled to the masses.

Last edited:
Dope breakdown rape victim

I agree on almost all points. Sometime simple is better *See DMX* and one thing you could never question was Cube authenticity. He lived and saw what he wrote and spoke to niggas in a way they would understamd. Same with Pac. Same with Snoop.

Personally tho, I prefer the more intricate and almost scholarly style of a Nas, Lupe, Kendrick but Cube see deserves at the very least top 15-20 mention on everyone list

Back