Welcome To aBlackWeb

The discussion I wanted to have spinning off of Kung-Fu Kenny's (Kendrick Lamar) "Auntie Diaries"

Mister B. M. Ed.

The Devil’s Greatest Advocate…..
I said that we would have the discussion on this song “Auntie Diairies” on Kendrick’s new album.

This is the verse I wanna focus on.
E0C208F9-33A8-4356-B7F5-4CED2A103829.jpeg

What do you think? He’s describing how his transgender cousin was outed in their family church by the pastor, and by sticking up for him, it drew them closer a family.

That leads me to ask: how big of a taboo is the LGBTQ issue your family when it comes to religion? Should it STILL be taboo in today’s black family? And what role, if any should religion play in the role of sexuality in the 21st century?

The mic is on. Speak true.

I said that we would have the discussion on this song “Auntie Diairies” on Kendrick’s new album.

This is the verse I wanna focus on.
View attachment 842491

What do you think? He’s describing how his transgender cousin was outed in their family church by the pastor, and by sticking up for him, it drew them closer a family.

That leads me to ask: how big of a taboo is the LGBTQ issue your family when it comes to religion? Should it STILL be taboo in today’s black family?

The mic is on. Speak true.

My cousin is a lesbian. Her mama don't like it. Older folks iffy on it but don't really say too much about it. No fuccs given on the rest of us tho.

Nobody in my family should be judgemental. We done shacked up...had babies outta wedlock...drink...smoke...fornicated...etc. Is it still taboo w/n our community...yes. But not as much as it was back in the day.

Most of us had that one relative that we either suspected was gay...or knew was gay but never spoke openly about it. At the family cook out, the person they brought was known as their "friend". Lol! Nowadays...its whateva. Unless it's one of them SUPER SAYIAN religious type families.

Questions answered in-line:

That leads me to ask:

how big of a taboo is the LGBTQ issue your family when it comes to religion?
-None. I have a small family and my mom had gay friends and co-workers when my sister and I were kids. They'd be over the house chilling and shit sometimes. Aunty Uncle Charles was the homie.

Should it STILL be taboo in today’s black family?
-No

And what role, if any should religion play in the role of sexuality in the 21st century?
-None

My brother was bisexual and my mother hated him for it.

He still married a woman and had kids but we all knew that my mother hated us both. She hated me because I ain't care about God or the Church and Iived a wild life. She hated him because he was free spirited and liked men and women and didn't feel the need to hide it.

He moved to California and lived his life.

This was the 80s, we all knew LGBT people were up in church, in the choir, and shit. That was fine. But when they wanted to live their life like a normal person, that's when the hatred came.

My father didn't care, he was a progressive man in that sense. He hated church and didn't like the hypocriticalness of it. He said as long as we were doing what we wanted to do, that's all that matters.

I always thought that Black folks hating on LGBT folks was lame. It's better today. Back then though. If you was LGBT, you moved to NYC or California to live your life. You didn't stay in the Deep South or the Midwest. Atlanta changed that though.

The influence on religion shouldn't play a role on sexuality or the family beyond people's personal adherence to their religion.

LBGTQ shit will always be taboo as far as the church goes. As homosexuality is specifically called out as a sin. That said, Jesus is pretty clear about people not condemning or judging others for their sins.

So, I don't think it's valid to use religion as an excuse to mistreat LBGTQ people in your family. Your fam is your fam, and if you love them, that shouldn't change because of something another human being says.

This song resonates with me heavy because not too long ago, I was Kendrick.

I have a cousin who’s trans. For years, most of my Uber Christian family seemed to in denial of their sexuality, even those ALL the signs were there. My cousin Josh (not real name) was born Vivian (also fake name), and originally only came out to me. Not that anyone in my family would’ve shamed him, but he knew I had the strongest anti-religious stance in the family being the only proclaimed Agnostic, so we had kind of a kindred outcast spirit thing going (plus, he knew I have gay brother-in-laws, frat brothers, etc) where I had to stand up to both my uncle and my father on Christianity, both of whom are preachers.

His father, a preacher, was in denial more than anyone about their lifestyle probably more than anyone, which led to Josh not coming around for awhile, even though I basically reassured them that whatever choice they made with their lives was A-OK with me and the overwhelming majority of our family, being Big Cousin of our generation of family members. Josh hasn’t (to my knowledge) seen hostility from our family, but he still hasn’t gotten that approval from his father yet.

Last edited:
Back