Welcome To aBlackWeb

Tell Me About This Gang Starr Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Grand

Old School Godfather

Apparently it came out in 2019 after GURU died. I listened to some of the snippets on Discogs and it doesn't sound professional, but it says Premier Executive Produced it.

I remember right after he died, I was listening to some underground radio show and they said that MC Solaar had the rights to his unreleased material. The radio announcer of the radio show I was listening to was mumbling about the GURU/Premier/Solaar situation. He didn't come out and say it directly, but from what I gathered, GURU and MC Solaar were Gay lovers (?)

The reason I say that is because they said that in GURU's will he said he didn't want Premier to control his unreleased music, he wanted MC Solaar to control his unreleased music, which is a pretty strange thing to put in your will. I mean, at the time of GURU's death, and for about a decade before his death, Premier was considered, and is still considered, one of the best Hip Hop producers. Many Hip Hop enthusiasts would rate DJ Premier as a top 10 Hip Hop producer, so it seemed really strange that he would leave his unreleased vocals to MC Solaar instead of DJ Premier.

Does anybody have any idea how this album came about?

From Wikipedia:

Rapper Guru died of cancer in April 2010, having not released an album with DJ Premier as Gang Starr since 2003's The Ownerz, seven years earlier. A note from Guru provided by former collaborator Solar had said that he disowned his former producer and DJ, and was released around the time of his death. However, many looked on it with suspicion. While Guru and Premier had not spoken since 2004,[5] Premier had wanted to release a final album, but had difficulty obtaining unreleased material from Guru, despite the rapper's prolific work ethic, because of a dispute with fellow producer Solar.[6] In 2014, a court case gave Guru's family control of his own unreleased music, and in 2016, Solar decided to sell the remaining music.[7] Despite the animosity between the two men, an agreement was reached (although Solar disputes this), and in early 2018, DJ Premier decided to put together a final album, creating new beats for the project over acappellas from Guru.[8]

Apparently it came out in 2019 after GURU died. I listened to some of the snippets on Discogs and it doesn't sound professional, but it says Premier Executive Produced it.

I remember right after he died, I was listening to some underground radio show and they said that MC Solaar had the rights to his unreleased material. The radio announcer of the radio show I was listening to was mumbling about the GURU/Premier/Solaar situation. He didn't come out and say it directly, but from what I gathered, GURU and MC Solaar were Gay lovers (?)

The reason I say that is because they said that in GURU's will he said he didn't want Premier to control his unreleased music, he wanted MC Solaar to control his unreleased music, which is a pretty strange thing to put in your will. I mean, at the time of GURU's death, and for about a decade before his death, Premier was considered, and is still considered, one of the best Hip Hop producers. Many Hip Hop enthusiasts would rate DJ Premier as a top 10 Hip Hop producer, so it seemed really strange that he would leave his unreleased vocals to MC Solaar instead of DJ Premier.

Does anybody have any idea how this album came about?

That's what Covid does to your memory.

There's a whole grip of things that I totally forgot about.

You'd think I'd remember a Gang Starr album.
:foh5:
904a90b4-33f1-4d86-a80e-4736ca1a9d1c_text.gif

Man all that shit that you're asking questions about was 50% of the album's release promotion. You could have googled it in the time it took for you to type that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back