Welcome To aBlackWeb

Spinoff Thread - Sound Quality From the 90s To Now

5 Grand

Old School Godfather

I thought Juicy was a dope song when it came out in 1994. Now it's painful to listen to.

Your thoughts?

I thought they remade the Juicy beat with some goofy ass modern tinkery. I almost had a panic attack. Are you saying you don't like the 2005 remaster of Juicy?

It's hard to judge sound quality from the 90s to now, if the songs are genuinely mixed well. Songs in the 90s and before were mixed for vinyl and tape purposes. There was more analog technology in use, so the sound was more pure. You heard the timbres in each instrument/vocal with a distinct clarity. Now, mixers can access lower and higher frequencies with digital technology. On one end, you can remaster a song from the 90s (that Juicy remaster did sound pretty good) and adjust the frequencies the analog technology didn't have access to. On the other end, the music made nowadays have a lot of synthetic sound... even some acoustic instruments you hear are just highly advanced VSTs. Even songs with samples have to work thru a digital interface which only utilizes the sound source with its limited capabilities. If there is no attempt to do a quality mixing job, the music will suffer for it IMO. Your music has to be mastered at a certain level to be uploaded on streaming services, so a lazy engineer would just do the bare minimum so they can release the song. Ppl nowadays like heavy bass, so they would reject anything without an 808 or a VERY low frequency bass. However, I feel like you can still reach a good low frequency with a well mixed electric bass. I always use Al Green's music as an example for these conversations... Willie Mitchell was the Lex Luger of his day. Them basslines were STUPID.

As per the comparison btw those two songs... meh, it's subjective. That Doja Cat joint is not my cup of tea, but it is a competent mixdown for what it is. My problem with it is the same with any song of its kind... it sounds like plastic drowning in a bucket of reverb and filters. Juicy is the better mix job to me, but there's more clarity in the other song.

Last edited:
Lab Baby basically covered it. The technology is different so the sound quality is different.

I think people's ears and what sounds they're used to has changed as well. Vocals are autotuned, vsts are pitch perfect unless you manually make it go out of tune, most instruments are digital or affected to hell.

Back