Welcome To aBlackWeb

So Who Are The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Best Quarterbacks?

Believing Brady is the best is one thing, but the TC basically stated that Brady is the unquestioned GOAT. That's an absurd statement to make when there are other QBs that have been demonstrably better than him in every metric that a QB controls. It says a lot that y'all basically have to exaggerate his role in a dynasty's success just to give him something to hang over the competition. And if ya'll want to weigh a team accomplishment higher than individual accomplishments in a discussion about a player's individual greatness, that's weird but fine. It still doesn't make Brady the unquestioned best.

Brady is top 5 in every category (if not top 3) and has 3X as many rings as anybody else in the league.

Saying that he is the unquestioned GOAT isn't an absurd statement.

Saying he ISN'T the unquestioned GOAT is the absurd statement.

Drew Brees has passed for 5,000 yards 5X and won the Superbowl once.

Tom Brady passed for 5,000 yards once and won the Superbowl 6X.

@The Lonious Monk be honest, would you rather have:

a. a QB that passed for 5,000 yards 5X and won the Superbowl once

or

b. a QB that passed for 5,000 yards once and won the Superbowl 6X

I'd rather have the better QB period.

If the teams for options a and b are comparable then of course I want the one with the most wins. However, if for a) the team was basically garbage before the QB got there and he made it a championship team and in b) the team has shown that it can win even when the QB isn't there, I'm probably not going to make my choice based on wins.

If I'm picking a QB to lead a team that isn't the NE Patriots, I would take Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, and possibly Wilson over Brady.

Believing Brady is the best is one thing, but the TC basically stated that Brady is the unquestioned GOAT. That's an absurd statement to make when there are other QBs that have been demonstrably better than him in every metric that a QB controls. It says a lot that y'all basically have to exaggerate his role in a dynasty's success just to give him something to hang over the competition. And if ya'll want to weigh a team accomplishment higher than individual accomplishments in a discussion about a player's individual greatness, that's weird but fine. It still doesn't make Brady the unquestioned best.

Whose demonstrably better?

Brady will be #2 in Passing yrads

#2 in Touchdowns
#4 in Passer rating (only 0.01 behind brees mind you)
tied w/ Brees at #2 35 4th qrt comebacks.

Both started playing in 2001 and since then Brady has only missed the playoffs 2x's. One of which he was injured. The other was his worst season of his career @ 9-7. Brady has more regular seasons wins, more postseason wins. And when he is in the playoffs all but 3 he's at least in the AFC Championship game.

And miss me with that weak ass coach shit. Cause I can do the same w/ Brees. There's tangible proof of what Brees did w/o Sean Peyton and after 4 seasons in San Diego they didn't even want him.

Whose demonstrably better?

Brady will be #2 in Passing yrads

#2 in Touchdowns
#4 in Passer rating (only 0.01 behind brees mind you)
tied w/ Brees at #2 35 4th qrt comebacks.

Both started playing in 2001 and since then Brady has only missed the playoffs 2x's. One of which he was injured. The other was his worst season of his career @ 9-7. Brady has more regular seasons wins, more postseason wins. And when he is in the playoffs all but 3 he's at least in the AFC Championship game.

And miss me with that weak ass coach shit. Cause I can do the same w/ Brees. There's tangible proof of what Brees did w/o Sean Peyton and after 4 seasons in San Diego they didn't even want him.

This is why bulk numbers suck. Brady could play absolutely terrible, but if he remains the starting QB for the next 10 years, his bulk numbers will be much better than Peyton's. Not because he's better, but because he had more opportunity to stack his numbers. Averages and percentages are better because they can't be inflated through longeivty. A player can only raise them by increasing the level of his production.

Yards Per Game
Peyton 270.5
Brees 281.4
Brady 262.5

TDs Per Game
Peyton 2.03
Brees 1.96
Brady 1.92

INTs Per Game
Peyton 0.94
Brees 0.88
Brady 0.63

Completion Percentage
Peyton 65.3
Brees 67.3
Brady 64.0

Touchdown Percentage
Peyton 5.75
Brees 5.31
Brady 5.51

Passer Rating
Peyton 96.5
Brees 97.7
Brady 97.6

There are other stats that may matter, but let's just look at these for now. They are all close, so it would be silly to act like any one is much better than the others. Arguments can be made for any of the three or that they are about the same with different strengths and weaknesses. That said, what can't be argued is that Brady doesn't really lead in any category except having the lowest IPG which, he kills. That is really good, but you have to acknowledge that he's the only one out of the three that consistently has a good Defense. That means he's under less pressure to have to make big plays. Contrast that with Brees who plays on a team where they often have to win shootouts because their defense couldn't hold water.

So again, if you want to say Brady is the best, that's fine. If you want to say that these three are so close, that you SB wins is the difference maker for you. That's fine too. But to say Brady is the unquestioned best because he has more wins while ignoring the fact that he's consistently had the better coach and front office, the better team, and doesn't really outshine the others in any area is just silly. Again, given their production, you can probably bet that if you put Peyton or Brees on NE, they would have 6 championships too.

@The Lonious Monk bro, you're doing God's work. I don't see how people can agree that its other QBs who are actually better than Brady. But, still give him the goat status that doesn't make sense

This is why bulk numbers suck. Brady could play absolutely terrible, but if he remains the starting QB for the next 10 years, his bulk numbers will be much better than Peyton's. Not because he's better, but because he had more opportunity to stack his numbers. Averages and percentages are better because they can't be inflated through longeivty. A player can only raise them by increasing the level of his production.

Yards Per Game
Peyton 270.5
Brees 281.4
Brady 262.5

TDs Per Game
Peyton 2.03
Brees 1.96
Brady 1.92

INTs Per Game
Peyton 0.94
Brees 0.88
Brady 0.63

Completion Percentage
Peyton 65.3
Brees 67.3
Brady 64.0

Touchdown Percentage
Peyton 5.75
Brees 5.31
Brady 5.51

Passer Rating
Peyton 96.5
Brees 97.7
Brady 97.6

There are other stats that may matter, but let's just look at these for now. They are all close, so it would be silly to act like any one is much better than the others. Arguments can be made for any of the three or that they are about the same with different strengths and weaknesses. That said, what can't be argued is that Brady doesn't really lead in any category except having the lowest IPG which, he kills. That is really good, but you have to acknowledge that he's the only one out of the three that consistently has a good Defense. That means he's under less pressure to have to make big plays. Contrast that with Brees who plays on a team where they often have to win shootouts because their defense couldn't hold water.

So again, if you want to say Brady is the best, that's fine. If you want to say that these three are so close, that you SB wins is the difference maker for you. That's fine too. But to say Brady is the unquestioned best because he has more wins while ignoring the fact that he's consistently had the better coach and front office, the better team, and doesn't really outshine the others in any area is just silly. Again, given their production, you can probably bet that if you put Peyton or Brees on NE, they would have 6 championships too.

Your missing one very important category, namely; Playoff performance.

Some QBs put up good numbers in the regular season and then croak in the playoffs. Remember when Dak Prescott went 15-1 in the regular season and choked in the playoffs? Brady is consistent in the regular season and playoffs. Lately he/they have been making the AFC championship game. Without doing a google search I'm pretty sure they made it to the AFC championship game in 4 of the last 5 seasons. While I agree that it's a team effort, it's imperative that the QB keeps his composure and doesn't throw picks. That's where Brady excels over all the other teams; in the playoffs.

Some QBs put up good numbers in the regular season and then croak in the playoffs. Remember when Dak Prescott went 15-1 in the regular season and choked in the playoffs? Brady is consistent in the regular season and playoffs. Lately he/they have been making the AFC championship game. Without doing a google search I'm pretty sure they made it to the AFC championship game in 4 of the last 5 seasons. While I agree that it's a team effort, it's imperative that the QB keeps his composure and doesn't throw picks. That's where Brady excels over all the other teams; in the playoffs.
Tell us when this happened
:huh:

Well, you might not want to shit on that Dak performance considering Brady went 16-0 in the regular season and lost the game that actually mattered. But your point is well taken. Brady is a beast when it comes to intangibles like clutchness and ability to deal with elevated stakes.

Charge it to the brain, not the heart.

"However, despite having the NFC's top seed as well as home-field advantage, the Cowboys suffered a devastating loss in the divisional round of the playoffs to the Green Bay Packers by a score of 31–34, ending their season and not making to the conference championship for the 22nd straight year. This was also QB Tony Romo's last season in the NFL, as he announced his retirement on April 4, 2017."

I confused Dak Prescott with Cam Newton.

What I meant to say is that Dak Prescott had a great year, they were 13-3. But they lost their first playoff game.

The point I was trying to make is that some QBs have a great year and choke in the playoffs.

Again, sorry for the mistake.

Charge it to the brain, not the heart.

"However, despite having the NFC's top seed as well as home-field advantage, the Cowboys suffered a devastating loss in the divisional round of the playoffs to the Green Bay Packers by a score of 31–34, ending their season and not making to the conference championship for the 22nd straight year. This was also QB Tony Romo's last season in the NFL, as he announced his retirement on April 4, 2017."

I confused Dak Prescott with Cam Newton.

What I meant to say is that Dak Prescott had a great year, they were 13-3. But they lost their first playoff game.

The point I was trying to make is that some QBs have a great year and choke in the playoffs.

Again, sorry for the mistake.

It's all good. Everyone makes mistakes. The bigger mistake was you making that point to begin with as if the Patriots don't potentially have the biggest choke job in history on their resume.

It's all good. Everyone makes mistakes. The bigger mistake was you making that point to begin with as if the Patriots don't potentially have the biggest choke job in history on their resume.

Brady has been a starting QB for 17 years and counting. He and his team went to the Superbowl 9X in and choked three of those times.

That means he's gone to the Superbowl more times than he hasn't.

While I agree he/they choked in the 2008 Superbowl, they came back and appeared in five more Superbowls with Brady as the starting QB, winning three of them.

I hope your not insinuating that going to the Superbowl 9X in 17 years and winning 6X is something to be ashamed of.

Last edited:
My point was that one year where a QB choked in the playoffs doesn't mean anything. If it did, then Brady would have the worst example of it in NFL history.

Back