Welcome To aBlackWeb

Since We're Rating Early 80s R&B Songs, Let Me Try To Articulate This

The soulfulness was there, Marvin's Gaye "Here My Dear" album still can be played along with Bobby's "The Poet" album.

We haven't even cracked up Luther's albums from the 70s and 80s, Al Green's albums and so on. @5Grand, has a point, a solid one. When thinking about it from an unbias stance and having gone back to listening to these old school R&B acts

Barry White was a gem, nobody today or in the 90s has sung in that key, baritone key, nobody would even dare to do so today in 2020. These threads and discussions need to be had more, some time 5 Grand states some crazy stuff but he has a valid point with this one.

James Brown, Charlie Wilson catalogs are sick

Last edited:
All I'll say is that if you liked 80s Hip Hop, I really don't see how you can hate on 00s Hip Hop. It was really a rebirth of that era.

You could probably make 2 or 3 R&B greatest hits CDs from the 90s

You could make 10 R&B greatest hits CDs from 80, 81, 82, 83

Another thing to consider is that in the early 80s the most creative artists were playing instruments and making R&B. The only people that were making Rap were in the 5 boroughs. In the 90s the most creative minds weren't playing instruments, nor were they making R&B; They were making Hip Hop. The most creative minds from the 90s were 2Pac, Biggie, Puffy, Wu Tang, Jay Z, Nas, Ice Cube, Dr Dre, I'd even add Master P to that list.

Bottom line, in the 90s young Black people wanted to be rappers, not musicians or singers.

source.gif

Word, I stopped reading after that shit

I can concede that 80’s r&b was better than 90’s R&B. But 90’s hip hop is better than 80’s hip hop.

I can concede that 80’s r&b was better than 90’s R&B. But 90’s hip hop is better than 80’s hip hop.

There certainly were MORE Hip Hop records in the 90s, and by default there were more good Hip Hop rappers, songs, and albums. Also, in the 90s major labels started fucking with Hip Hop so artists had bigger budgets and could hire producers, whereas in the 80s most of the Hip Hop artists produced themselves, or had in house production.

And Hip Hop albums didn't really pick up until the late 80s, from 87 onwards. You could probably count the classic Hip Hop albums in the early/mid 80s on two hands (maybe one hand). 88 was an especially good year for Hip Hop. I'd put 1988 Hip Hop up against any one Hip Hop year in the 90s.

But having said that, if you were there and lived through it, Hip Hop was devastating to the ear throughout the 80s. It kept evolving. Every other year there was a new style, a new trend as technology advanced from DJs mixing records, to live musicians, to drum machines and synthesizers, to samplers.

Hip Hop in the 90s didn't evolve the way it did in the 80s. It got bigger, but technically Low End Theory and The Chronic could have come out in the late 90s and they wouldn't have sounded out of place.

Also, I don't know much about Jodeci other than the songs they played on the radio and The Show, The Hotel and The Afterparty LP (my girlfriend at the time used to play it). But I wouldn't say Switch is better than Jodeci. That's madness.

There certainly were MORE Hip Hop records in the 90s, and by default there were more good Hip Hop rappers, songs, and albums. Also, in the 90s major labels started fucking with Hip Hop so artists had bigger budgets and could hire producers, whereas in the 80s most of the Hip Hop artists produced themselves, or had in house production.

And Hip Hop albums didn't really pick up until the late 80s, from 87 onwards. You could probably count the classic Hip Hop albums in the early/mid 80s on two hands (maybe one hand). 88 was an especially good year for Hip Hop. I'd put 1988 Hip Hop up against any one Hip Hop year in the 90s.

But having said that, if you were there and lived through it, Hip Hop was devastating to the ear throughout the 80s. It kept evolving. Every other year there was a new style, a new trend as technology advanced from DJs mixing records, to live musicians, to drum machines and synthesizers, to samplers.

Hip Hop in the 90s didn't evolve the way it did in the 80s. It got bigger, but technically Low End Theory and The Chronic could have come out in the late 90s and they wouldn't have sounded out of place.

The Chronic was a perfect fit, I will have to disagree, because you had trailblazer Easy E with his own style which created a new lane of Hip Hop called Gangsta Rap which was new to the masses.

Kid N Plays started to be played on the radio, Doo Doo Brown, then you had your LL Cool J, with more of a semi-hard core edge, RUN DMC was cool too but their records were "fun" records.

I think it really took off when Kris Kross exploded on the scene in the early 90s, then you had your Slick Rick, and folks like Luke, that's when the Hip Hop really became a household element, in black homes.

You had a mixture of "fun" records artists, and also hard core rappers with a mixture of brilliant minded rappers, That Gumbo mixture was the reason to why Hip Hop was well received heading into the 90s. Also Hammer played a part too.

The Chronic was a perfect fit, I will have to disagree, because you had trailblazer Easy E with his own style which created a new lane of Hip Hop called Gangsta Rap which was new to the masses.

Kid N Plays started to be played on the radio, Doo Doo Brown, then you had your LL Cool J, with more of a semi-hard core edge, RUN DMC was cool too but their records were "fun" records.

I think it really took off when Kris Kross exploded on the scene in the early 90s, then you had your Slick Rick, and folks like Luke, that's when the Hip Hop really became a household element, in black homes.

You had a mixture of "fun" records artists, and also hard core rappers with a mixture of brilliant minded rappers, That Gumbo mixture was the reason to why Hip Hop was well received heading into the 90s. Also Hammer played a part too.

:wtff: you're all over the place lol

Hip Hop in the 90s didn't evolve the way it did in the 80s.

That's not even a big point in favor of the 80s. I mean once you get to the pinnacle, you don't need to evolve anymore. Room to evolve means you have a lot of weaknesses you need to shore up.

Now if by evolve, you're really just talking about innovation. I don't even think that's true. Sure you can cherry pick certain albums that might have fit in at any time during the Decade, but you can just as easily do that for albums that wouldn't. Beastie Boys had a couple successful albums in the early 90s that probably would have had no traction in the late 90s.

Back