Welcome To aBlackWeb

Coming Soon Sh*t Done Changed (Year By Year Timeline of the good, bad, and ugly rap albums)

grYmes

The price of a brick goin up…
platinum-albums-by-year.jpg

Alright, so I’ve had this idea in my head for a couple years now. I was gonna post this in the IC but due to different shit I never got around to it. It’s basically gonna be a year by year timeline of top ten hip hop albums (the albums will not be ranked in any particular order). I’ve been a hip hop fan all my life & on a whem I just started going back through old issues of The Source, XXL, & Rap Pages to compile these lists. As well as listened to ALL a these albums so that I’m not short changing any particular artists, over saturating any and vise versa. Being deployed leaves you with time on your hands my niggas, lol.

I will begin with 1987. Why ‘87? Cuz it was the year that more innovative albums and acts began emerging. While there was a lot that transcended the game before that year (Run DMC, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Beastie Boys to name a few), I just feel like its a good starting point. To go along with the top tens I’ll also do a top 5 underrated albums & starting with 1990 I’ll do top 5 disappointing. I chose 1990 because by this point the rap game was now realized as a big money maker. Which in turn gave way to more rappers (good or otherwise) as well as more tendency to see established artists crank out less than potent material.

I’m gonna crank out every year from now until hopefully the beginning of the fall. By that point I’ll be working on 2018. While I do believe in myself as far as what I think is quality rap albums.. I ain’t perfect. Which is why I was on the IC and why I’m here now. I embrace debate with the best of em. Is there an album that belong on the top ten? Not mentioned on the underrated? Disappointing albums that deserve they’re just due? I think of this shit as a time capsule. Good or bad, this is our history. Every bit of it deserves its shine. These are the albums that mattered. I guess in a way this is my love letter to hip hop so I hope y’all enjoy it.

Also beginning with 1990 I’ll do a part called “Ish I Missed”. A undetermined number of albums that fit into one of two criteria...

-Popular, well known albums that are universally deemed shitty.

-Albums that are too good to be underrated, but not good enough to be top ten of that year.

Back