Welcome To aBlackWeb

Serious Question

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I'm 49 years old. Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I have a serious question.

Now that radio and BET/MTV are no longer the dominant form of media, are popular songs as popular as they used to be?

Remember when In Da Club was out? I can remember being at my mothers house and I was watching the In Da Club video on MTV. My mother came in the room and recognized that it was 50 Cent. She was 60 when that song was out.

The reason she knew that song is because it was everywhere. It was on the radio and everybody knew Eminem, Dr Dre and 50 Cent. Even my mother knew a little bit about 50 Cent; Eminem signed him and he got shot 9X.

My question is, is there a single outlet that a 60 year old would have access to know the most popular rapper or singer?

Or do you have to navigate the web and find what you are looking for?

In other words, in the 80s and 90s there were only a handful of media outlets. You could name the media outlets.

I guess they still have the Grammy Awards every year, but they have a dozen award shows and there are literally thousands of channels now. In fact, now that there are so many channels, when the Grammys come on there's other stuff to watch because there are thousands of channels. I can remember being a kid and when the Grammys came on, it was a big deal because they would cancel whatever the regular programming was, so there would be one less channel to watch that night. This was when there weren't that many channels.

When In Da Club and Eminem were out there were only like 50 cable channels. Youtube didn't exist. BET and MTV2 were the only stations that played music videos. Remember the Rap City Basement Freestyles? Only the most popular rappers could get on a Rap City Basement freestyle.

It seems like nowadays there is so much media to sort through, it would be really difficult for a song like In Da Club to be as popular as it was 20 years ago.

Could a song like In Da Club be as popular as it was then, now?

And there's more podcasts than you can keep up with. Back in the 80s and 90s you could have a conversation about Hip Hop and everybody was on the same page. There were only a handful of popular rappers at any given moment. Whoever got the cover of The Source got talked about that month, and if somebody got 4 mics or better, that was the album to buy.

Is it possible to be as popular as 50 Cent and Eminem were from 01-05? or are those days gone?

Add on

Last edited:
Somebody add on

If you remember when In Da Club was out, is it possible to have a song that's that popular in 2023?

No, i don't think it's possible any more
The HipHop climate has changed for the worst.
Even underground rap ain't hitting like it use to.

Back