Welcome To aBlackWeb

Richard Dreyfuss Says Oscars Inclusion Requirements “Make Me Vomit”

Norrin_Radd

I'm Low-key/Loki even more-so than Thor's bro...
"No one should be telling me as an artist that I have to give in to the latest, most current idea of what morality is," the actor said in a recent interview.

Richard Dreyfuss is criticizing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ new diversity and inclusion requirements.

The Jaws actor told Margaret Hoover on Friday’s episode of PBS’ Firing Line that the minimum requirements films will have to meet related to representation and inclusion to be eligible for the best picture Oscar “make me vomit.”

“This is an art form,” he continued. “It’s also a form of commerce, and it makes money, but it’s an art. And no one should be telling me as an artist that I have to give in to the latest, most current idea of what morality is.”

In 2020, the Academy announced that it would start rolling out inclusivity standards in 2021 “to encourage equitable representation on and off screen in order to better reflect the diversity of the movie-going audience.” And beginning in 2024, films will have to meet minimum requirements to be considered for the best picture category.

Dreyfuss, who won an Oscar 1978 for best actor in a leading role for The Goodbye Girl, added, “And what are we risking? Are we really risking hurting people’s feelings? You can’t legislate that. And you have to let life be life.”

The American Graffiti actor then proceeded to defend Laurence Olivier’s performance in the 1965 film Othello, in which Olivier played the Shakespeare lead role in blackface.

“He played a Black man brilliantly,” Dreyfuss told Hoover. “Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man? Is someone else being told that if they’re not Jewish, they shouldn’t play The Merchant of Venice? Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art? This is so patronizing. It’s so, it’s so thoughtless, and treating people like children.”

Hoover followed up by asking the Close Encounters of the Third Kind actor if “There’s a difference between the question of representation and who is allowed to represent other groups? … And the case of blackface, explicitly in this country, given the history of slavery and the sensitivities around Black racism.”

He responded, “There shouldn’t be. … Because it’s patronizing. Because it says we’re so fragile that we can’t have our feelings hurt. We have to anticipate having our feelings hurt, our children’s feelings hurt. We don’t know how to stand up and bop the bully in the face.”

It’s aight, he’s not able to understand, he doesn’t deserve anyone’s anger or consideration. Let him live in his world of beliefs and allow the rest of the world to past him by.

It’s aight, he’s not able to understand, he doesn’t deserve anyone’s anger or consideration. Let him live in his world of beliefs and allow the rest of the world to past him by.
I was saying the same thing these old white cats freaking out the world as they once knew it is over

He got a point though. I don’t mind it if it adds to the story but a lot of these shows and movies just be doing stuff to check boxes.

“Oh we want the gays to watch. Put a gay character in there. Can’t forget about black people. Put a black character in there”

It’s diversity for diversity sake
Nah that's the point that you're making. You're granting him an argument that he himself did not make.

He just an old white man who can't remember where he parked his car.

He got a point though. I don’t mind it if it adds to the story but a lot of these shows and movies just be doing stuff to check boxes.

“Oh we want the gays to watch. Put a gay character in there. Can’t forget about black people. Put a black character in there”

Or worse--A GAY BLACK Character.

That seems to be their go-to for "inclusivity & diversity".......

Look how their mindset becomes ours

Conditioning is very real

Nah that's the point that you're making. You're granting him an argument that he himself did not make.

He just an old white man who can't remember where he parked his car.

Bingo

He's right. Diversity and inclusion requirements shouldn't exist for the Oscars. The part that he misses is that the discrimination and white bias that make those requirements necessary shouldn't exist either. CACs always madder at the imperfect solutions put in place to address the racism problem than they are with the racism problem.

Look how their mindset becomes ours

Conditioning is very real

Bingo
Nah, I've been had this opinion about media. I have no problem with diversity in media. The problem we have now is that these studios are only focusing on diversity and not if the product is actually quality first and foremost. They not doing it because it adds to the story or anything else. It's just there to be there. I also said he has a point about diversity, never said he was right about anything.

Good job questioning my blackness for thinking differently though. I'm sure that'll really make me want to hear you out 🙄 🙄

Nah, I've been had this opinion about media. I have no problem with diversity in media. The problem we have now is that these studios are only focusing on diversity and not if the product is actually quality first and foremost. They not doing it because it adds to the story or anything else. It's just there to be there. I also said he has a point, never said he was right about the blackface stuff.

Good job questioning my blackness for thinking differently though. I'm sure that'll really make me want to hear you out 🙄 🙄
Nobody questioned your blackness. Projection. I said you adopted their mindset despite knowing their mindset stems from anti blackness. Now you say you've been feeling that way and that's fine but it's not a mentality that benefits you

Back