Welcome To aBlackWeb

Rewind & Revisit: Ep.4 (Joan Armatrading)

This weeks choice is Joan Armatrading’s, 1976 self tiled album: Joan Armatrading

I first heard this album from my parents collection when I was a kid...

Joan’s vocal style (and guitar playing) is kinda reminiscent of Tracy Chapman's, or rather Tracy’s style is similar to Joan’s, as Joan came around first…

This album was a break out for Joan, she still had elements of her folksy style but working with producer Glyn Johns the album had a slightly more uptempo vibe with a touch more rock, soul and jazz but still had her signature folksy vibe…

Fun fact: Clarke Peters who played Detective Lester Freamon in 'The Wire' sang backing vocals on a couple tunes...

The whole album feels very intimate, like its just you and her listening to it or even like youre one of the lucky few listening to her perform in a small ‘unplugged' style setting and although she sings about relationships (good and bad) and heartache etc she still sounds like a strong-willed woman...

‘Down To Zero’ sets the album off with a bang, Joan sings in her distinctive voice about women who is shocked to find her man stollen from her which leads to feelings of insecurity:

'Brand new dandy
First class scene stealer
Walks through the crowd and takes your man
Sends you rushing to the mirror
Brush your eyebrows and say
"There's more beauty in you than anyone
'

The album is not all downbeat and about heartache, theres some witty and humorous tracks too, such ‘Water With The Wine’… Here Joan sings about a guy shes only just met who quickly falls in love with her, shes overwhelmed with it all, by getting swept away with the overeager lover but shes learned her lesson…….. to next time mix some water in with the wine!!! lol

'Met him on a Monday
And he said he loved me so
Walked me to my door,
Before I knew it to my living room
I thought there was no need for worry
When he took me in his arms
Drank some whisky
Hung his coat upon the stand
That's when the music started
I heard the light switch click
I stumbled on a lost shoeThe fever's starting
This man was getting hot
I got no strength to make him stop
I guess it's too late
But I'll know next timeTo mix some water with the wine'

Following the track is the incredible 'Love And Affection’ which was the biggest hit off the album and what I would also say one of the great opening lines from a song: ‘Im not in love but Im open to persuasion’ sheeeash… My take on the song is shes with someone and is not sure if theyre just friends or there is hope for a romantic relationship… Theres a great sax solo in the middle too by Jimmy Jewell, its just incredible song around…

‘Help Yourself and ‘Join The Boys’ are songs in which Joan shows her strength independent-ness… In ‘Help Yourself’ she is seemingly fed up with a time wasting partner who cant look after themselves let n lone her:

'Need someone to help me
But not you, you're not ready
Seems you have trouble helping yourself

It takes time to notice
But you don't seem to know time keeps moving
What you're doing is wasting my time
You would help me more
Help me more if you helped yourself
Help yourself
Help yourself
'

And in ‘Join The Boys’ it sounds like shes singing about moving on from a man who was more interested in going out with ’The Boy’s then spending time with her...

'I done found another fellow
He agrees with my direction
Arms around each others shoulders we go everywhere
'

(Chorus)

'Are you in, are you out
Are you in, are you out
Do you care to dance about and shout
Join Jack and the boys
Be in a band
Doing a one night stand

The final song on the album ’Tall In The Saddle’ Joan also shows her humorous side again but still whilst deciding a relationship was over:

'Tall in the saddle
One of these days you're gonna have to dismount
You don't leave me downhearted
But I'm sorry that you had to go
'cause we had fun, fun, fun, fun
Fun, fun, fun
We had fun while it lasted
We had fun while it lasted

Musically/sonically its great tune too, it starts of slow jazzy acoustic tune, then a half way Joan stops singing for break and great bluesy electric guitar solo kicks in, then the song ends with Joan singing over a funky beat to close out the album with…

For me the album is a masterpiece and one of the great albums of all time!!!

Check it out:

Last edited:
Back