Welcome To aBlackWeb

Rd1: Goat Song of 98: Ride or Die vs Skew It On The Bar B

Rd1: Goat Song of 98: Ride or Die vs Skew It On The Bar B

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah Ride or Die is fire, but in a year full of classic albums and songs, the 15th best song on the album shouldn't be in the tournament lol

Lets run through em

Hard Knock Life
Nigga What
Its Alright
Money Cash Hoes
Reservoir Dogs
Money Aint A Thing
Can I Get A
It's Like That
A Week Ago

etc.

https://creativeloafing.com/content-168326-The-Making-of-OutKast's-Aquemini

"Skew It On the Bar-B" feat. Raekwon
Produced by Organized Noize

The track that likely made East Coast-centric magazine The Source wet itself, it featured Wu-Tang Clan's resident dope boy Raekwon the Chef, making him OutKast's first non-Dungeon Family feature.

Raekwon: I was in Atlanta 'cause I had a nice place out there in Buckhead, and I met Big Boi in Lenox Square Mall. He seemed like a cool, genuine dude, and we both were fans of each other's work. We both were like, "Yo, let's get up and do something." Two or three days later I went to the Dungeon house and we started running through some beats.

Kawan Prather (former LaFace A&R): Big was there writing his verse and it was just like how the interlude on the album sounds. There was Hennessy, there was some other stuff, and everybody just kicked it for a minute and it just worked out. The majority of what happened in the Organized [Noize] camp was just random. Like, "Hey man, I just ran into George Clinton." But it was random based on the circle of people that we were, who we were attracted to, and who was attracted to us.

Rico Wade: Dre was fucking with Erykah Badu, too. 'Cause I just remember us having a lot of work going on where we were like, "Yo man, OutKast just needs to come to the studio and we're just going to play ya'll some stuff. Y'all tell us what y'all like." I remember Erykah being in there with them. That "Skew It On the Bar-B" beat came on and everybody was like, "That's it."

Ray [Murray] killed it. I remember that snare and that kick, we kept wanting to use it over and over again. Its like it made history: the "Skew It" snare. Other motherfuckers have used it, sampled it. That's hip-hop. People know they go right in there and sample those drum sounds. And Ray says it was a play off of a "Wonder Woman" [TV show] sample.

Big Boi: That was the first time I had ever been in the booth with a nigga when he was rapping. Rae was about to do his verse, and he was like, "C'mon god, get in the booth." I'm like, "Get in the booth with you?" He said, "Man, that's how we do it. Let me get that energy, come in here with me." So he was doing his verse, and we were just passing the Hennessy back and forth. The cup was spilling shit, nigga's necklace was dangling - that's what you hear, like cling-cling and all kinda shit. There was so much liquor spilled in the booth from him just doing his verse.

Raekwon: We were just having fun, talking about real shit. And they know one thing about me, which is the way I talk and have conversations. So they were like, "Just go in the booth and do whatever you wanna do." So I went in there and did that and they used that [interlude] on the record.

When that record came to New York City, it opened up the floodgates for the South to emerge and do their thing. The South was not being played up in New York at all at that time. Me and OutKast, we definitely opened up that door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back