Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Rakim vs J Cole

Who is better?

• Rakim

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • J Cole

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
I don't know why I got two cosigns and a wack.

In the other thread the question is being asked: Where does J Cole rank? Some said top 20 or top 30. Somebody else said he's on his way to being top 10.

The reason I want to compare him to Rakim is because there's absolutely no overlap. Rakim had pretty much hung up his mic when J Cole started rapping. I'm pretty sure Rakim's last album came out a decade before J Cole's first album (without doing a google search).

Considering there's no overlap, you have to judge each MC by the same criteria. Are his albums hot? Does he have club bangers? Does he get radio play? Is he lyrical? Is he good at making songs, or is he just a spitter?

All things considered I can't really vote because I've only heard one of J Cole's albums (KOD). It's a solid album but the game has changed. Major labels give rappers a bigger budget to make an album. It only makes you wonder what Eric B & Rakim's albums would sound like if they had an infinite budget.

Last edited:
Why though?

The general consensus is that J Cole, Drake and Kendrick are this generation's heavyweights. When I was in high school Grandmaster Flash, The Treacherous Three and Run DMC were considered 'old school' and Rakim, KRS, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, etc. were considered the new generation.

Having said that, between Rakim, Kane, KRS, Kool G Rap, many people said that Rakim was the best out of all of them.

So Rakim was top 3 in his era, J Cole is top 3 in his era. So who's better Rakim or J Cole?

The general consensus is that J Cole, Drake and Kendrick are this generation's heavyweights. When I was in high school Grandmaster Flash, The Treacherous Three and Run DMC were considered 'old school' and Rakim, KRS, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, etc. were considered the new generation.

Having said that, between Rakim, Kane, KRS, Kool G Rap, many people said that Rakim was the best out of all of them.

So Rakim was top 3 in his era, J Cole is top 3 in his era. So who's better Rakim or J Cole?

But the eras are so different. Its like comparing the 80s Lakers to the 2018 warriors. Cant really compare. Rules are changed, perceptions are changed.

Just not a compariso that makes sense.

But the eras are so different. Its like comparing the 80s Lakers to the 2018 warriors. Cant really compare. Rules are changed, perceptions are changed.

Just not a compariso that makes sense.

Good analogy.

So the question remains; Who is better the 88 Lakers or the 18 Warriors?

Back