Welcome To aBlackWeb

Photography Equipment For Beginners

Let's get this thread going again.

Finally got around to grabing a DSLR a week ago. Copped this Rebel XSi from a local pawn shop for a song along with a couple of lenses. I'm already up to 5 lenses with 3 more on the way but still haven't found a 35mm or 55mm prime lens for cheap. One of my lenses I mistakenly grabbed out the case at the pawn show was for a Nikon camera, but I got an adapter for it. Lost the auto focus but that really doesn't matter.

20220123_183044.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ this is a good site I get most of my stuff from

My thing right now is trying to keep myself from buying a bazillion lenses. Right now I have:

Canon 18-55mm
Tamron 177D 28-80mm
Tamron 278D 80-210mm
Tamron A09 28-75mm 1:2.8 Macro (this is the Nikon joint I accidentally copped but I have an EF mount adapter for it now)
Tamron A17 75-300mm tele-macro 1:2 - this one is also a mistake. Pawn shop had it for dirt cheap and I wasn't paying close enough attention to it, thought I was looking at an EF mount and it ended up being a Minolta (the contact layouts are very similar). I'mma sell this one tho.

On the way is a Tamron A15 55-200mm Macro and a Canon 35-80mm joint. I have a line on a Sigma 70-300mm for cheap and I'm debating on buying it as I type this. What I really want, though, is a 35mm and 55mm prime lens.

20220130_184606.jpg

I have to look but I know I got a couple prime lens and a wide angle lens also a speed light. I've slowed down on taking pictures. I was also looking at getting a long range lens but really have no need for it. But I also can rent one if need be

I have to look but I know I got a couple prime lens and a wide angle lens also a speed light. I've slowed down on taking pictures. I was also looking at getting a long range lens but really have no need for it. But I also can rent one if need be

I just got an offer from a seller on a Yongnuo 50mm prime lens and I went ahead and took it. Total of $57 and change for it including shipping; it'll be here Friday. I've read that some folks don't like the bokeh Yongnuo prime lenses produce, but right now I give no fucks. Maybe later when I get back into the groove then I'll care more.

Last edited:
Yea I had to get a bigger bag myself. And I'll put what I need in my smaller bag. All my lens are nikon didn't want to get any other brand. Also I ended up getting the uv lens that screw on the end of the lens just to protect em

Yea I had to get a bigger bag myself. And I'll put what I need in my smaller bag. All my lens are nikon didn't want to get any other brand. Also I ended up getting the uv lens that screw on the end of the lens just to protect em

I have those screw-on uv joints for two of my lenses. I should probably cop more but I'm lazy.

Also you can go to like best buy and they'll price match what's on the internet if you don't want wait.

Yongnuo lens came Friday. I'm taking the camera with me when I fly out to MI this week to see what I can make happen.

20220207_203126.jpg

Yeah, definitely time to get another bag.

20220306_151353.jpg

The last lens I picked up was the Canon 75-300mm joint. Got it for $60 from a pawn shop. Image-wise it's pretty decent but not "great" or "spectacular" so I'm trying to find something a bit better.

View attachment 785634

The last lens I picked up was the Canon 75-300mm joint. Got it for $60 from a pawn shop. Image-wise it's pretty decent but not "great" or "spectacular" so I'm trying to find something a bit better.
I'm gone have to post up my stuff. I had to slow down on buying different lens. The last one was a wide angle lens. Only used it a handful of times.

My thing right now is trying to keep myself from buying a bazillion lenses. Right now I have:

Canon 18-55mm
Tamron 177D 28-80mm
Tamron 278D 80-210mm
Tamron A09 28-75mm 1:2.8 Macro (this is the Nikon joint I accidentally copped but I have an EF mount adapter for it now)
Tamron A17 75-300mm tele-macro 1:2 - this one is also a mistake. Pawn shop had it for dirt cheap and I wasn't paying close enough attention to it, thought I was looking at an EF mount and it ended up being a Minolta (the contact layouts are very similar). I'mma sell this one tho.

On the way is a Tamron A15 55-200mm Macro and a Canon 35-80mm joint. I have a line on a Sigma 70-300mm for cheap and I'm debating on buying it as I type this. What I really want, though, is a 35mm and 55mm prime lens.

View attachment 756527
why so many lenses? A lot of them overlap. You better off trimming the fat and keeping the ones with the better aperture

View attachment 785634

I will need the metabones converter for canon lens to work on my cam. Canon lens is affordable compare to Sonys

I owned a couple of Sony’s point and shoot, kept upgrading them until I landed on a canon s95 point and shoot. I still use from time to time when I don’t want to carry my big camera. It was holding me down for a while but I can get same or better result with my iPhone so I’m thinking of giving it to my mom since her point and shoot broke.

My first DSLR was a Nikon 5300, upgraded that to a Nikon 750 with a 28-70mm lens, great camera but was tired of carrying around the bulk so switched over to a mirrorless camera, a Sony a7iii. So far got 2 prime lenses, a 24mm for everything and a 85mm for portrait. I probably want to cop a 100-400mm in the future and that would be all the lenses I need.

my current joint:
54D68E25-0550-43E9-9C23-89D9C2CE854C.jpeg

I owned a couple of Sony’s point and shoot, kept upgrading them until I landed on a canon s95 point and shoot. I still use from time to time when I don’t want to carry my big camera. It was holding me down for a while but I can get same or better result with my iPhone so I’m thinking of giving it to my mom since her point and shoot broke.

My first DSLR was a Nikon 5300, upgraded that to a Nikon 750 with a 28-70mm lens, great camera but was tired of carrying around the bulk so switched over to a mirrorless camera, a Sony a7iii. So far got 2 prime lenses, a 24mm for everything and a 85mm for portrait. I probably want to cop a 100-400mm in the future and that would be all the lenses I need.

my current joint:
View attachment 786199
I got the same. Lenses is to damn expensive though.

why so many lenses? A lot of them overlap. You better off trimming the fat and keeping the ones with the better aperture

Not as you would think. At a glance, some appear to overlap, but a couple of those are tele-macro lenses that I would use for close-up shots at a safe distance where I wouldn't interfere with lighting or whatever it is I'm trying to shoot. Think of getting a shot of a hummingbird on a flower, you don't want to get too close or you scare it off so you want to stay away from it, which means using a zoom lens. Using my 28-75mm tele-macro would give you better detail because it can focus on smaller details that my 28-80mm can't. While not as good as a dedicated macro lens of a given focal length, a tele-macro is good enough to use and considerably cheaper than buying several macro lenses and carrying them around.

Back