Welcome To aBlackWeb

Pastor praises Trump as 'pro-black' at prison reform event

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
President Donald Trump was lauded by inner-city pastors, including one who said he may go down as the "most pro-black president" in recent history, during a White House roundtable on Wednesday that was focused on efforts to reform the prison system.

Trump told the group, which included pastors and bishops from across the country, that his administration has been making progress on efforts to make it easier for prisoners to re-enter society and find work.

"When we say hire American, we mean all Americans," Trump said.

Among those gathered was Darrell Scott, a black Ohio pastor who was an early supporter of Trump's campaign and has been working with the administration on urban and prison issues.

"This is probably the most pro-active administration regarding urban America and the faith-based community in my lifetime," Scott told the group, adding, "This is probably going be ... the most pro-black president that we've had in our lifetime."

He compared Trump to his predecessor, Barack Obama, the nation's first African-American president, and said: "This president actually wants to prove something to our community, our faith-based community and our ethnic community."

"The last president didn't feel like he had to," he added, saying of Obama: "He got a pass."

During his campaign, Trump accused Democrats of doing too little to help urban communities and often asked African-Americans what they had to lose by voting for him.

The White House has been focusing its criminal justice reform efforts on improving re-entry, rehabilitation and workforce training programs, instead of sentencing reform, which many advocates argue would make a bigger difference.

Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and adviser, has been leading the effort, which has included lobbying Congress to pass a bill called the First Step Act.

The House passed the bill in May.

https://www.bmhonor.com/blog/2018/8...-the-pastors-who-support-trumps-prison-reform

August 2, 2018
THE PEOPLE DESERVE BETTER: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE PASTORS WHO MET WITH TRUMP ABOUT PRISON REFORM

Trump-meets-with-Black-pastors.jpg

(The following letter is addressed to Bishop Dale Bronner, Pastor Kelvin Cobaris, Pastor Wilfredo De Jesus, Pastor Philip Goudeaux, Pastor Jon Gray, Pastor Michael Freeman,Bishop Darrell Hines, Pastor Harry Jackson, Pastor Julian Lowe, Pastor Van Moody, Pastor Sharon Nesbitt, Pastor Jon Ponder, Pastor Benny Perez, Pastor Darrell Scott, Pastor Kyle Searcy, Pastor Paula White and Pastor Marvin Winans)

Dear Pastors,

I write you this letter in response to your recent gathering at the White House with President Donald J. Trump. As a fellow pastor and faith leader I’m compelled to share my concerns about your gathering with the Trump administration because I truly believe we’re at a critical moral moment in history. The three moral evils of racism, militarism and poverty seem to have found allies in some of our nation’s highest offices and for this cause we need ministry rooted in courage, love, truth and justice more than ever. It is also for this cause that I publicly express my concerns about your gathering with the intention of hopefully inciting greater dialogue about how churches might have a more effective public witness in these crucial and trying times.

It has been reported that your gathering with the President was purposed to “address the administration’s prison reform efforts.” On the surface this seems like a noble and worthwhile endeavor. And I’m quite sure most of you agreed to attend with the thinking that this would be an opportunity to be a positive link between the communities that you serve and the current presidential administration. However, in the aftermath of your meeting I hope you are coming to realize how misguided it was for you to use your pastoral influence in this way.

To be clear, my issue is not so much that you attended the meeting. The notion that not talking to elected officials that we disagree with is somehow punishment for them is not wise. So my issue is not about you having a seat at the table. Rather my concern is the faint and feeble policy agenda and moral posture you displayed while at the table.

We are currently in the midst of a moral crisis in our country and such a time beckons serious moral thought leaders to rise up and speak truth to power and be just examples of courage and conscience. Unfortunately this was not what I read in the transcript of your gathering with the President.

Instead of being the truth-telling social prophets that your communities needed, you allowed yourselves to be turned into mere political props in Trump’s hall of power. Instead of being distinguished by your moral demands and theological convictions, you allowed yourself to be demeaned by your uncritical deference to presidential power. Though I'm certain this was not your intention, this was nonetheless the result.

From where I sit there are two primary issues that really disturbed me about your gathering. Firstly, I take issue with the premise of the meeting being about prison reform. I’m sure this was the carrot that drew most of you to the table. Certainly, criminal justice reform (which includes prison reforms measures) is an important social issue of our time. And it’s commendable that the Trump administration is pursuing the proposed legislation around providing jobs for formally incarcerated persons. However, given the actions of Trump’s justice department, I must surmise that sadly the administration’s prison reform efforts are self-defeating at best and disingenuous at worst.

The fact is Trump’s justice department under the leadership of Jeff Sessions has done more to promote prisons than it has done to reform them. For example consider the following actions taken by the Justice department under the Trump administration:

-Ordered federal prosecutors to charge aggressively as possible in every case they pursue

-Ramped up support for marijuana prosecutions in states where sale and use are legal

-Pulled back support of investigations of police abuse and misconduct

-Resumed use of private prison contracting

-Stopped commutations of low level drug offensives

-Opposed recidivism –reduction programs intended to lower the return rate of incarceration

-Ramping up federal support for arrest and detainment of undocumented immigrants

Any honest assessment of these draconian actions can only conclude that this administration has a pro-prison agenda and all this talk of prison reform is simply political window dressing.

Given these facts I'm trying to understand how you were able to sit at that table and heap praise upon Trump for prison reform when his justice department is doing the most to keep prisons vibrant and populated with black and brown people? Were you aware of these actions before you attended the meeting? Or was this an unfortunate case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? I sincerely want to know and understand.

The other issue I take issue with is the use of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr’s words as justification for your being at the table. I believe it was Jon Gray in his opening prayer that said, “Dr. King said we cannot influence a table that we are not seated at.”

As I’ve said many times, King is often quoted but rarely studied.

The truth is Rev. Martin Luther King visited the White House numerous times over the course of three presidencies to discuss issues of concern. But it is worth noting that Martin King Jr. was not in the business of abiding presidential invitations that didn’t include candid and meaningful policy discussion.

I would advise you to look at MLK’s 1957 meeting at the White House with the Eisenhower administration. In advance of the meeting King and fellow ministers developed a nine point agenda to advocate during their White House visit. The purpose of the agenda was to convey to President Eisenhower’s administration their dissatisfaction with the violent conditions that blacks endured in the south and to share the disappointment that Blacks felt because of Eisenhower’s failure to more aggressively support civil rights. If this weren’t enough they held a press conference after the meeting to share their proposed agenda and announced a campaign to register African American voters in an effort to put pressure on the Eisenhower administration.

If only someone from among your gathering would have had this type of moral courage and strategic imagination. Your people would have been so much better served by you being there.

I recognize that some of you will find the thoughts contained in this letter offensive and quickly dismiss them as not worthy of your time. That’s fine. But my hope is that you will be moved to engage in an important conversation about what constitutes an effective Christian public witness on prison reform and the criminal justice policies of the Trump administration. I’m here for it and I know there are many others who would benefit from it as well.

So I’ll end this open letter with an invitation for each you to write back or make a statement. Or if nothing else, consider in your time of personal reflection how your people might have been better served had you chosen to be a voice of truth and justice and not a tool of political expediency.

Peace & Power,

Billy Michael Honor

I seen the Breakfast Club gave one of those pastors donkey of the day for saying Trump is the most pro black president ever.

Charlemagne actually dropped some facts instead of just roasting the guy who said that crazy statement. Honestly though i wasn’t surprised somebody said something as off as that because there is always 1 who is willing

I’ll hold judgment til he leaves office.

I’m not sure what information he privy to that I’m not. That’s a bold ass statement. Preachers and the president meeting in the Oval shit. That’s gangster as fuck. Niggas openly having mob meetings in the house

that's absolutely the wrong attitude. I kno' niggas these days don't like hearin' stuff like that but bruh nah man

I called the nigga out personally on Twitter a couple months back for being a fuck nigga and a waste of life. He said some "rah rah" shit and I told him which mma/boxing gym he could find me at and he shut that shit up. He's in my city and I'm waiting on the day that our paths cross.

Fuck that Sambo ass fuck nigga.

I’m not sure what information he privy to that I’m not. That’s a bold ass statement. Preachers and the president meeting in the Oval shit. That’s gangster as fuck. Niggas openly having mob meetings in the house

Been having that shit in the open.

This happened before and it was just a waste of time.

They shouldn't even focus on black people getting out of prison, when the most injustice is how they end up in prison. There are already programs available for inmates with good behavior anyway, so what exactly is the ground breaking thing here? Nothing. PR stunt. More reason to pump money into prisons and they've got their black lap dogs at the ground level.

I'd also bet none of those coons are of Islam and that wouldn't be a coincidence.

It's most likely niggas colluding with the enemy. "Gangster" shit that won't be in our favor.

I seen the Breakfast Club gave one of those pastors donkey of the day for saying Trump is the most pro black president ever.

Charlemagne actually dropped some facts instead of just roasting the guy who said that crazy statement. Honestly though i wasn’t surprised somebody said something as off as that because there is always 1 who is willing

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/an...aiming-trump-gave-african-americans-new-hope/

Another black pastor faces backlash from 'disgusted' community after claiming Trump gave African-Americans 'new hope'

After attending a meeting with fellow black evangelicals at the White House, one California pastor is facing a backlash from his community for praising Donald Trump.

The San Luis Obispo Tribune reported that Phillip Goudeaux of Sacramento’s Calvary Christian Center was one of more than a dozen black Christian leaders who met with Trump on August 1. In the meeting, Goudeaux claimed Trump has “given us a new hope,” and another attendee referred to him as “the most pro-black president we’ve had in our lifetime.”

“Please don’t give up on California and Sacramento,” the pastor said during the meeting. “I’m right in the capital there, and we’re working in every area to try to make a difference in people’s lives.

“So, I guess the greatest word I can say for you, Mr. President, is that you have given this country expectations, given us a new hope, a new excitement to believe that things are getting better and are going to get better,” Goudeaux continued. “And we appreciate that leadership, your tenacity to keep pushing in against all the opposition that comes against you. Thank you so much.”

After South Carolina Pastor John Gray and other leaders who met with Trumpfaced scrutiny and condemnation for attending the meeting, Goudeaux too faced criticism in his community.

Urban revitalization activist Tre Borden, the Tribune noted, expressed his dismay on Facebook.

“Here we have Pastor Phillip G. Goudeaux of Sacramento’s Cavalry Christian Center at the table with Donald Trump and a collection of shameless black church leaders for a meeting where it was claimed that Donald will do more for the faith community and urban revitalization than any previous president,” the activist wrote. “To show you how stupid and contemptible the situation is one of the reasons they said this prediction is feasible is that he ‘has something to prove while the previous president (Obama) did not.'”

In the post, Borden noted that he attended Goudeaux’s church when he was younger until his mother “became too disgusted with his homophobia and shameless adherence to the Prosperity Gospel while the majority of his congregants are poor black people in Del Paso.”

Goudeaux made headlines earlier in the year after he counseled the family of Stephon Clark, a Calvary member who was shot and killed by Sacramento police while trying to quietly enter his grandmother’s back door late one night in March, resulting in large protests.

Nikki Whitfield, a former Calvary Church member and activist in Sacramento, told the Tribune that although Goudeaux is an earnest and charismatic leader who “loves people,” his attendance at Trump’s black evangelical meeting was “unacceptable.”

“As a leader in the black community and a pastor to impoverished people,” she said, adding that “it is unacceptable for him to sit at that table” and Trump, who “over and over again has aligned himself with racists and Nazis.”

Goudeaux, Whitfield added, “has had an amazing ministry, and he’s done good things. But I’ve lost whatever smidgen of respect that I had for him.”

“I’m disgusted,” she concluded.

I called the nigga out personally on Twitter a couple months back for being a fuck nigga and a waste of life. He said some "rah rah" shit and I told him which mma/boxing gym he could find me at and he shut that shit up. He's in my city and I'm waiting on the day that our paths cross.

Fuck that Sambo ass fuck nigga.

LOL @ fighting a Pastor.....

I bet he didn't want no problems! lol

tenor.gif

I've never understood black Christians anyway

I was never one of those anti church folks but we were not a big church family. I feel alot of families that are real deep in the church might represent that stereotype of the judging, prayer over logic, Jesus is the way and only way type of christian. Then the ones who say stuff like we woulda been worshipping the devil without Christ. These folks turn alot of younger black folks off and look foolish for being Christian.

Back