Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Parents: What Have You Told Your Kids About Interacting With Police?

Mister

Ignorance can be remedied. Stupidity is incurable.
I'm curious to see what others have taught their kids. I wasn't really told anything directly. I just figured it out along the way. The Rodney King beating, and the cops shooting my uncle during the subsequent riot for looting, pretty much cemented my approach.

I've taught my kids(I use the term loosely now that 3 are grown and the youngest is 16) since they could really understand that the police will kill a black person for nothing and to not give them anything they can use as an excuse to do it. I emphasize that complaints and lawsuits can always be filed after but that they can never get their life back.

I've also stressed that they know and assert their rights. But with that assertion of rights, to know when an officer has no intention to respect their rights and to move accordingly.

What are some of the things that y'all have told your children involving police interaction?

I lie to my kids about the reality of life, you"re only a child once. Who am I to deny them of the belief that the police, firemen, doctors, and such arent heros..shit, some of em might be.

Yep.
Monday we talked about it again.
I told him that some police are out to kill Black people and some may try to belittle him and break him for a reaction and reason to shoot. He is still young but that time will fly. So Iā€™ll go deeper into it when he gets older.

Yep. Gotta have another talk with my oldest son since he just bought a car.

Then I look at my 5 yr old son and worry like a mf about what kinda world this might be by the time hes his brothers age. He's all smiles and happy as can be now, but soon I will have to prepare him for what awaits.

Its a damn shame that we are living like this in this country. Im getting to the place where it aint worth the bullshit just be living here.

I tell him stop acting an ass or they gonna start calling the police on him.

And if I gotta come to that school to see my child in handcuffs, that will be the day I am shot dead.

So unless you wanna grow up trying to convince yourself that shit wasn't your fault.... Get your shit together in school

I tell him stop acting an ass or they gonna start calling the police on him.

And if I gotta come to that school to see my child in handcuffs, that will be the day I am shot dead.

So unless you wanna grow up trying to convince yourself that shit wasn't your fault.... Get your shit together in school

Whoa

tenor.gif

Back